Freefallin66

Apprehension as I progress

One day that apprehension will be gone and you will miss it. You are in a wonderful time of your skydiving career and your fear and how you handle it will shape the rest of your jumping. Face it head on, understand the risks and rewards, and overcome it. It will manifest itself in all aspects of your life. You are becoming a stronger person.

I must say I get that fear from time to time when I go jump after a while. But I am also certain those are the best jumps I make.

They are so much more intense, scary and beautiful. It's almost in a way that I love the sadistic torture of waiting to get out of the plane. I love it when the doors open and that whoosh of air swoops in. The body responds with 100% concentration while experiencing this surreal sight where 60kg + bodies fall out trough the door into abyss. Then it's your turn, you know you are trained, you know what to do, you just let go, you just fly. Loud sound of air puts me in a zen state up there.

Because of that I never really had the problem to relax in freefall or carry out my assignments. I just accepted the moment and the reality of it all. I didn't fight it from AFF 1 onward.

A ton of great advice already on here.

Hit up the YouTube and google Brian Germains videos on fear. Apprehension is just another type of fear and fear is healthy.

The more you jump and learn to trust your self and more importantly (in my opinion) your gear - the apprehension lifts away. It's normal and everyone starts with it when they have low jump numbers.

I had a bad accident due to gear failure and was not able to jump for a half year after surgeries. I think I was more apprehensive on my first jump back then on my first jump ever.

I was told by someone with many many more jumps then I that the difference between someone with a A license and a B license is such....

Those with an A are apprehensive about leaving the plane, those with a B are apprehensive about their opening. Makes perfect sense since your chances of issues tend to be more under a canopy then in Freefall.

All in all - it will go away and it's normal. Don't sweat it

Hi,

I've had similar issues after my AFF. I did drove to the DZ but couldn't push myself to signup for a slot in the plane.
You can read about it here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4857713
And in here there is even a more detailed explaination of it: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4860133#4860133

I drove a few times to the DZ, hung around and quietly got back home without jumping. Very frustrating, I was even a shamed.:P

You just have to push through, don't let go of that dream! I'm glad I did even it costs me a lot of sleepless nights before jumpday.

Winterstop is almost over here now, so it will be around 2 months after my last jump. I start to get nervous when I think about it but looking forward to it.

Sometimes people ask me "if you are scared or have so much nerves when you jump, why do you even want to do it?" All I can say is that they should try it themselfs, then they would know B|

I start my AFF in 7 weeks and 5 days, but i'm not counting down lol, no nerves at the mo but the excitement is building steadily.
The night before my first tandem i was totally crapping myself, as soon as we walked to the aircraft it all just went away leaving a life changing experience for me, i hope i can stay this calm in a few weeks though