1 1
Phil1111

trump's Pardons

24 minutes ago, obelixtim said:

Got to be illegal. Fundraising on federal property is a no no, is it not? 

100 x 2 Mil comes to 200 Mil. Thats a good grift.

As for the pardons, Kyle Rittenhouse anyone?

And Ghislaine Maxwell.  If Jeff Epstein wasn't dead I am sure he'd get one too.

27 minutes ago, billvon said:

Yep.  And at $2 million a pardon, Trump and his allies could make some solid money tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Actually George Bush the first only had one term as well, and he did pardon a solidly larger number of people. So I'll hang loose for now on my opinion on this, unless that $2 mil pardon racket is corroborated.

Wendy P.

Come-on guys I left the first and easy one out. Covid-iso syndrome can't be that bad.

59 minutes ago, billeisele said:

We'll see how this plays out in the next couple of days.  The historical stats are interesting:

The pure numbers are irrelevant. A President could pardon or commute the sentences of everyone currently in prison solely because of draconian marijuana sentencing rules and he'd both be the most widespread user of the pardon power and be fully morally justified.

Trump could have remained the most infrequent user of the pardon power and still been the worst abuser of it, for the sheer number of personal and political allies he has pardoned, not to mention unrepetant murderers and violent criminals who were guilty of horrific crimes and whose clemency requests circumvented any normal vetting by the office designed for that purpose.

• Like 2

For anyone curious, Obama's extremely high clemency figures are due to his admin actively promoting the clemency program to those who could be eligible. There were still high barriers to entry (e.g. non-violent, first-time offenses, model prisoners, often serving sentences that didn't reflect normal sentences for the same crime, etc etc) so it's not like they were letting drug-fiends and rapists out onto the street.

It was just a matter of making sure people knew that they had a chance, and then the applications came.

11 hours ago, mistercwood said:

For anyone curious, Obama's extremely high clemency figures are due to his admin actively promoting the clemency program to those who could be eligible. There were still high barriers to entry (e.g. non-violent, first-time offenses, model prisoners, often serving sentences that didn't reflect normal sentences for the same crime, etc etc) so it's not like they were letting drug-fiends and rapists out onto the street.

It was just a matter of making sure people knew that they had a chance, and then the applications came.

If I remember correctly a lot of them were first time drug offenses where the sentencing guidelines changed. These folks were non-violent offenders, had been good prisoners, taken education courses and done other things to demonstrate the willingness to change their lives and to make good use of a second chance. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Actually George Bush the first only had one term as well, and he did pardon a solidly larger number of people. So I'll hang loose for now on my opinion on this, unless that $2 mil pardon racket is corroborated.

Wendy P.

It depends entirely on who’s pardoned, surely?

I don’t remember any super controversial pardons before apart from Clinton and Manning?

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

Surely Trump supporters are smart enough to see through such a transparent ruse.  Right?

Interestingly it appears that some of the people appealing to the Don for a pardon are sitting members of congress or the house. And Trump has been talked out of pardons for them and his family. 

I wonder who they could be, and why would they be asking?

Seems like a few rocks are going to be turned over in the coming days and weeks to see whats beneath them. 

12 hours ago, obelixtim said:

Interestingly it appears that some of the people appealing to the Don for a pardon are sitting members of congress or the house. And Trump has been talked out of pardons for them and his family. 

I wonder who they could be, and why would they be asking?

Seems like a few rocks are going to be turned over in the coming days and weeks to see whats beneath them. 

It's reported that Arizona Republican Reps. Paul Gosar and Andy Biggs begged Trump for pardons relating to the Capitol insurrection.

13 hours ago, obelixtim said:

...Seems like a few rocks are going to be turned over in the coming days and weeks to see whats beneath them. 

A mountain of rocks.Thankfully the election is resolved and trump ends today. Which reminds me: “’Take a Tic Tac and grab them by the pussy’ is the closest thing to a plan Donald Trump has described this entire election.”

25 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

It's reported that Arizona Republican Reps. Paul Gosar and Andy Biggs begged Trump for pardons relating to the Capitol insurrection.

That’s an odd one. Simply planning the rally would be incredibly difficult to tie to prosecutable criminality. Even if they were running the Capitol tours for future rioters that Democrats are alleging I think successful prosecution would still be extremely unlikely.

OTOH if evidence can be found to show that they did feel the need for a pardon and asked for one, that should surely be grounds enough for immediate ethics committee hearing and for them to face a vote on expulsion from the house.