2 2
StanM

Embroidery that wraps around a rig

Hey gyus!

Do any of you have experience with decorative embroidery on a rig, that wraps around the rig in such a way that it is divided over more than one panel?

Does it really "work," considering the fact that you would have to pack the rig exactly right every time for the pattern to line up and look good?

I'm considering this for a new rig, but I'm really not sure it would look good.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? I would appreciate it!

StanM

19 hours ago, skyderrill66 said:

If you are not packing exactly right every time you are in the wrong sport

Thanks for your input, I agree with you in general, and I really don't want to open the can of worms that is discussing packing.

However, I was talking about lining up the panels on a rig with millimetre precision every time, so that an intricate pattern that spans them, lines up exactly right. I'm hesitant to get such a thing made, it will probably not look as good as intended. I'll probably get something simpler.

Thirty years ago I surveyed manufacturers for a similar rig. I ended up getting a Mirage with a large maple leaf. The maple leaf patch was only on the reserve pin cover.

I have only seen one rig (A British-built Teardrop) with stripes on four or five separate panels. When the main container was closed, those stripes combined to form a Union Jack flag.

Keep in mind that it is difficult consistently align all those stripes unless you use the exact same length of closing loop - every time. You will also need to pack consistently.

• Like 1

I have a Vector in "Triple Lightning Split" that's almost Identical to the one in this pic (from skyshop.eu) . As you can also see in the pic, the reserve and main flaps don't always perfectly line up. It only takes a few seconds to line them up though

sky_shop_7773-700x700_0.jpg

On 11/26/2020 at 3:07 PM, StanM said:

Thanks for your input, I agree with you in general, and I really don't want to open the can of worms that is discussing packing.

However, I was talking about lining up the panels on a rig with millimetre precision every time, so that an intricate pattern that spans them, lines up exactly right. I'm hesitant to get such a thing made, it will probably not look as good as intended. I'll probably get something simpler.

As noted above, if you change the closing loop, it will need to be the perfect length for the panels to line up.

Also, the humidity level will affect how 'big' the canopy packs. If the design lines up perfectly in Florida, it might not in Arizona. 

Personally, I'd run your ideas past the manufacturer. They've seen most of the ideas we can come up with. They've seen what works and what doesn't.

On 11/27/2020 at 3:12 PM, riggerrob said:

Thirty years ago I surveyed manufacturers for a similar rig. I ended up getting a Mirage with a large maple leaf. The maple leaf patch was only on the reserve pin cover.

I have only seen one rig (A British-built Teardrop) with stripes on four or five separate panels. When the main container was closed, those stripes combined to form a Union Jack flag.

Keep in mind that it is difficult consistently align all those stripes unless you use the exact same length of closing loop - every time. You will also need to pack consistently.

Hi Rob,

Back in the mid-60's there was a CrossBow rig built with something looking like the Union Jack on it.  I seem to remember it being used to ski off of a mountain in a James Bond film.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Hi Jerry,

I hate to tell you this, but the rig was just a plain red container.

It was the canopy that had the Union Jack on it.

Hi Joe,

Aw crap, more dead brain cells.

At least in another thread I said that no one here is perfect.  :x

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Thanks for the correction.  Along with my JFK quote being wrong & now this, I think I need a drink.  It is 5 o'clock somewhere, isn't it?

PPS)  I 'think' ( got to put that disclaimer in now ) it was a few years later that Guardian Parachute ( before FXC bought it ) who made a rig with a Union Jack on it.  Good grief, at least I hope they did.

Edited by JerryBaumchen

Hi Jerry,

No worries. I suffer from "Age Related CRS" on a regular basis. 
It sucks, but beats the alternative.

And to be clear, the main reason I posted the video was NOT to defend against any counter claims.

It was because I thought I remembered it being the canopy, not the rig. 

But I wasn't sure. And I hate being wrong when pointing out someone else's error more than just about anything.
So I searched it out, and thought it was such a cool stunt sequence that it was worth posting.

Of course, the really funny part is that I remembered the canopy being square, not round. Go figure. 

After thinking about it a bit, I realized that it was made in 77 (43 years ago?!?!?!?).

Squares were in their infancy, if around at all.
Duh.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

And I remembered it as being a Paradactyl, not a round. Good thing I didn’t volunteer that...’In 1977 there were plenty of squares; not dominant across all jumpers yet, but there were plenty. 
Wendy P. 

Ah, there seems to be a reason for that imperfect memory: 
He seems to have used a Thunderbow in his 1972 El Cap bandit jump -- the first ski BASE jump  --  as opposed to the later Mount Asgard (Canadian arctic) jump for the Bond movie:

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/ski/hot-dog-the-legacy-the-story-of-the-first-base-jump-in-ski-history

On 11/27/2020 at 11:12 PM, riggerrob said:

Union Jack Teardrop sounds like Tim Porter, he also has a zebra skin one