1 1

NYT Columnist: "Trump Was Right"

1 hour ago, feuergnom said:

and what exactly do you think to achieve here in flooding the forum with articles that suit your opinions?

No different than what anyone else is doing.

Let's discuss the article. It does look as though schools aren't vectors for transmission on the scale that adult workers seem to be (e.g. look at nursing home and hospital staff). However, given that schools are vectors for nearly every other kind of disease, to me it's not surprising that health administrators erred on the side of caution. Consider how quickly flu, colds, and before vaccines for them, chicken pox, measles, and everything else rushed through schools.

You don't start with the likely riskiest behavior and then tone it down if things go bad -- it's generally better to start with a safer version and increase latitude as you learn. Kind of why we don't start new students on Katana 99's (after all, as I was told by a swooping friend -- speed is your friend)

Wendy P.

9 hours ago, markharju said:

I definitely agree with the last paragraph:

"It’s true that Trump was simply trying to downplay the virus. If he wanted schools open, he should have fought the pandemic more seriously and invested federal money to help make school buildings safer against the virus’s spread."

Imagine what we could have accomplished if Trump had taken the virus seriously, rather than lying about it.  Schools would be open, the economy wouldn't have tanked and people wouldn't have lost their jobs.  Excellent point.

9 hours ago, markharju said:

Trump? Isn't that the guy who lives in subsidized housing and is refusing to work?

Imagine how many kids could have gone safely to school if you had somebody competent leading the country. Somebody who could think about more than "What is in it for me".

Edited by SkyDekker

5 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Let's discuss the article. It does look as though schools aren't vectors for transmission on the scale that adult workers seem to be (e.g. look at nursing home and hospital staff). However, given that schools are vectors for nearly every other kind of disease, to me it's not surprising that health administrators erred on the side of caution. Consider how quickly flu, colds, and before vaccines for them, chicken pox, measles, and everything else rushed through schools.

You don't start with the likely riskiest behavior and then tone it down if things go bad -- it's generally better to start with a safer version and increase latitude as you learn. Kind of why we don't start new students on Katana 99's (after all, as I was told by a swooping friend -- speed is your friend)

Wendy P.

Hi Wendy,

Re:  'Let's discuss the article.'

You've already told him not to violate the rules of the forum.

I call for a 30-day ban.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Tesla's market cap topped half a trillion dollars today. Better get on the short wagon for the collapse!

I just shorted Pfizer, Moderna, and AstraZeneca. I'm going to make a killing when everyone realizes COVID-19 is all a hoax!

10 minutes ago, ryoder said:

I just shorted Pfizer, Moderna, and AstraZeneca. I'm going to make a killing when everyone realizes COVID-19 is all a hoax!

United States Senator and medical expert Ted Cruz explained in great detail how it was all a hoax.  "If it ends up that Biden wins in November...I guarantee you, the week after the election suddenly all those Democratic governors, all those Democratic mayors, will say, 'Everything is magically better. Go back to work, go back to school.' Suddenly, the problems are solved,  You won't even have to wait for Biden to be sworn in. All they'll need is Election Day and suddenly their willingness to just destroy people's lives and livelihoods...they will have accomplished their task."

It's been a few weeks, so those lazy Democratic governors are surely just procrastinating.  But any day now . . . .

On 11/20/2020 at 6:39 AM, wmw999 said:

Wendy P.

I agree with Wendy and for the first time Mark may have submitted something useful to discuss. I certainly wouldn't give trump credit for anything to do with the discussion.

From The Association of American Medical Colleges: Kids, school, and COVID-19: What we know — and what we don’t

"The Duke study found that children carry large amounts of the virus in their respiratory systems, says Matthew Kelly, MD, an assistant professor of pediatrics at Duke who co-authored the study with Permar and others. He posits that for several reasons, younger children might not transmit the virus as effectively as adults; for instance, children may not generate aerosols as effectively as older children and adults when they cough, sneeze, or breathe.

In addition, children might not cough, sneeze, or struggle to breathe as much with COVID-19 as they do when afflicted with other respiratory illnesses, such as the flu — because, as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says, “most children with COVID-19 have mild symptoms or have no symptoms at all.” While that’s good for those kids, the phenomenon opens a vulnerability for schools where safety strategies include screening students for symptoms."

That this excellent article doesn't address is how effectively the virus spreads at universities and colleges.

Ha ha. I just heard the dotard's voice on the radio for the fist time in a while. It seems the markets hit a record on the news of the day and he wanted to claim credit for it. Never mind that the good news that caused the rally is his confirmed departure!