2 2
SivaGanesha

for which crimes, if any, should Trump be prosecuted?

should Trump be prosecuted and, if so, for which crimes?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. for which crimes, if any, should Trump be prosecuted after he leaves office?

• crimes connected with his official duties as President
    • business crimes related to his private activities in the Trump Organization
    • personal crimes -- i.e. the sexual assault of women
    • in the interests of healing the country, Trump should not be prosecuted
    • Trump should not be prosecuted because I believe he is innocent of wrongdoing

7 minutes ago, yoink said:

I don’t see that happening just because it would be seen as needing help and losing in his own mind.

That is easy.

Your favourite president has never done anything wrong. All the best people say I have been the best and most honest president in the history of the United States. We know the horrible Deep State will continue to try and come after your favourite President. To stick it to those evil libtards I will step down and be pardoned so I can ensure to keep fighting for you against the evil of the Deep State. MAGA

3 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

That is easy.

Your favourite president has never done anything wrong. All the best people say I have been the best and most honest president in the history of the United States. We know the horrible Deep State will continue to try and come after your favourite President. To stick it to those evil libtards I will step down and be pardoned so I can ensure to keep fighting for you against the evil of the Deep State. MAGA

Yeah, except he knows that accepting a pardon means admitting wrongdoing.

He learned that when he pardoned Arpaio.

1 minute ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Yeah, except he knows that accepting a pardon means admitting wrongdoing.

He knows getting the GSA to sign the letter means he has lost, but he just states the opposite. His base will believe him, since it shows he is in control. Right, wrong, guilty, innocent doesn't matter here. What matters is who is in control. It will be easy to sell as a "power move." Specially since there will be a large uproar about it and lots of outrage.

Yeah, maybe.

But the more I think about it, the more I doubt it will happen.

The idea of resigning to allow Pence to pardon him is a bit more 'planning & thinking & shit' than he's shown ANY ability or willingness to do.

It was pointed out that lots of his supporters thought that his claims of fraud and all that were part of some sort of 'master plan'. Which goes against all the evidence that he's NEVER had any real plan at all, for anything. Ever.

13 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

That is easy.

You're just being argumentative for the fun of it. Yoink and mrcwood are spot on. Just wait a little longer, you know, like as if the story was unfolding.

42 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

How a country can have people spending life in jail for shoplifting and argue that the president should not be prosecuted for crimes is entirely too Banana Republic for me.

USA, the prison capital of the world. For some classes anyway. What about the show trials and lockups for the over privileged parents who bribed their kids in to the best schools? If you can't do the crime don't do the crime. I heard that somewhere. 

3 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

USA, the prison capital of the world. For some classes anyway. What about the show trials and lockups for the over privileged parents who bribed their kids in to the best schools? If you can't do the crime don't do the crime. I heard that somewhere. 

Hi Ken,

I believe it is:  If you cannot do the time, don't do the crime.

Jerry Baumchen

3 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Proof read Ken, proof read. That's two errors in one session for me.

11 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

I believe it is:  If you cannot do the time, don't do the crime.

Jerry Baumchen

Jerry, you leave Ken alone. I like him. Verstehen?

16 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Joe and Jerry, I believe you two actually know each other in the real world, correct?

Hi Ken,

Yup, probably for more years than either of us can remember.

And, just so you know; I was only trying to help.

And, I am also a terrible on-screen proof reader.

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen

13 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

Yup, probably for more years than either of us can remember.

And, just so you know; I was only trying to help.

And, I am also a terrible on-screen proof reader.

Jerry Baumchen

I appreciate the help, and I'm sure Joe was only kidding. I hope I never come between the two of you and whatever relationship you have after all those years.

On 11/22/2020 at 2:23 PM, RobertMBlevins said:

Ten bucks says the wife institutes divorce proceedings on him within 18 months or less after he leaves office. 

I was emailing my friends on the "over/under" on how long after he leaves office that Melania will file for divorce.  I was thinking more around six months.  

8 minutes ago, TriGirl said:

I was emailing my friends on the "over/under" on how long after he leaves office that Melania will file for divorce.  I was thinking more around six months.  

I’ve said on here before now that I’m sure she’s got the documents already written and the book deal signed.

3-4 months.

Edited by yoink

I'm not against the state of New York coming after Trump after he leaves office. And they most likely WILL. But the idea of going after him for what amounts to political crimes just isn't worth the fallout that would result. 

Look...no matter what...Trump will never see the inside of a jail cell. He's a former US President (well, soon) and doesn't have a criminal record. Plus, it's a security risk for the country. Who knows what the guy will blab in his own defense? Hell, he might even have diminished capacity case here. ("I'm just nuts" LOL) That's why Ford pardoned Nixon, to put Nixon behind us and move forward. I'm okay with that idea. Prosecuting him politically will cause more problems, more division, more hatred, and more discord than any payoff is worth. 

Sure, in previous times over the last four years, I thought he was an outright traitor to the USA and that potentially comes with a death penalty. In Trump's case, he's so old now and so damn dumb, I say let the state courts handle him on a financial level instead. You know if he gets convicted of a felony, that would pretty much end any further political aspirations he might have, and since he's burned so many bridges and so many people...I don't see where he would have a chance at a second term later. And don't forget about all those tell all books that will certainly be coming out from people who have kept everything pent-up and hidden for four years. He's toast on the political scene. Maybe not right away after he leaves the White House, but not long afterward. 

When I said Trump was dumb, this is what I meant:  If he had shown the slightest bit of leadership regarding Covid, even a minimal amount...he would have been reelected easily. I mean NO PROBLEM, since the US traditionally doesn't switch Presidents during a major crisis...unless...like Carter... you can't get the hostages released by Iran. The Iranians freed the hostages as soon as Reagan was elected. They knew what Reagan would DO if they didn't. Trump's mistake was his foolish statements, lies, and lack of even minimal leadership during Covid. If he had done just the minimum and just PRETENDED he cared...Biden would never have won. That's why I call Trump dumb. Trump saw Covid as a threat to the attention he craves. He should have recognized it as a crisis that could have served him up a second term easy. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

All Trump REALLY had to do to get re-elected was a few sensible things. Use the procurement function to send out mass PPE to individuals and hospitals. Not tell lies about the virus, or tell people to inject themselves with chemicals. Ask the nation to wear masks and take it seriously. That's really about IT. Not that difficult, and the right thing to do. 

But he is SO dumb...("how dumb IS he!") that he saw Covid as an attention-thief, rather than a crisis that he could have 'used' (well, he IS Trump) to guarantee himself a second term. He didn't take advantage and one reason is because it is hard for him to have empathy for other peoples' suffering. He couldn't even PRETEND to have empathy. 

If he had done these things, even if his actions were based on political gain and not a concern for the country, he would have won the election. He already had 'his people' in his pocket. They listen to anything he says, and believe most of it. So he already had those voters in his corner. Doing the other things, it is likely some Dem voters would have sided with him in a hope that Trump would handle the pandemic. I'll bet some of his campaign advisors were wringing their hands and hitting their heads against the wall...realizing Trump was throwing his reelection chances right out the window. 

DUMB. But lucky for the American people.

Edited by RobertMBlevins

3 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

All Trump REALLY had to do to get re-elected was a few sensible things. Use the procurement function to send out mass PPE to individuals and hospitals. Not tell lies about the virus, or tell people to inject themselves with chemicals. Ask the nation to wear masks and take it seriously. That's really about IT. Not that difficult, and the right thing to do. 

But he is SO dumb...("how dumb IS he!") that he saw Covid as an attention-thief, rather than a crisis that he could have 'used' (well, he IS Trump) to guarantee himself a second term. He didn't take advantage and one reason is because it is hard for him to have empathy for other peoples' suffering. He couldn't even PRETEND to have empathy. 

If he had done these things, even if his actions were based on political gain and not a concern for the country, he would have won the election. He already had 'his people' in his pocket. They listen to anything he says, and believe most of it. So he already had those voters in his corner. Doing the other things, it is likely some Dem voters would have sided with him in a hope that Trump would handle the pandemic. I'll bet some of his campaign advisors were wringing their hands and hitting their heads against the wall...realizing Trump was throwing his reelection chances right out the window. 

DUMB. But lucky for the American people.

Hi Robert,

I am going to disagree.  I have long said that this election would be a referendum on Trump.  The R's held the Senate & made gains in the House.  That says that a lot of Americans voted for the R's.  They then did not vote for Trump.

Could he have won if he had done something different?  Who knows; he lost & it is now history.

Jerry Baumchen

Senate control won't be decided until January...but I was surprised the GOP made gains in the House, though. I didn't expect they would. 

I hear the Dems identified a couple of hundred thousand people in Georgia who just became eligible to vote. (Reaching 18 in time for the January Senate runoff) And that they are trying to get them registered. Smart idea, especially since the majority of these new voters would be in urban areas, a place where Dems did very well in November. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins