Zoomer Urges POS Biden to Forgive Student Debt via Exec Order...

...so that those who worked two jobs or simply did without due to a sense of fiscal responsibility can give a free ride to those who majored in lesbian dance theory.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/16/schumer-urges-biden-to-cancel-portion-of-student-loan-debt/

Edit to add: in case fucktards didn't notice, the US national debt exceeded GDP last month, and at current rate of money burn is slated to double again in four years, but these miserable fucks want to just keep shoveling money we haven't got. This won't end well.

Edited by Guest

They're spending money WE DO NOT POSSESS. Even though the Swiss are much more frugal than their American counterparts, national debt for the Confederation is approaching 50%. Edit to add: sure, there is a LOT of spending that is totally out of control in the US. Defense and social programs eat up most of the pie, but adding to it like this is beyond stupid. Hey Hair-Sniffer! Why don't you pay off my mortgage while you're at it?

Edited by Guest

Well, the current administration set the rate at which the deficit is growing. The previous administraton had reduced the rate, although the Clinton was the last administration that was able to submit a balanced budget. There's no way Bush would have been able to in 2001 (that whole Twin Towers and tech bubble thing), but it still has grown more year to year under Republican than Democratic administrations for a long, long, time.

As far as whiny children wanting their bills paid -- I take it, then, that you're of the "if it was tough for me it should be tough for them" school. Don't you think that it should be as tough for you as it is for someone who was born a minority in the inner city, with shitty schools the only option? After all, if it was tough for them...

Wendy P.

59 minutes ago, markharju said:

...so that those who worked two jobs or simply did without due to a sense of fiscal responsibility can give a free ride to those who majored in lesbian dance theory.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/16/schumer-urges-biden-to-cancel-portion-of-student-loan-debt/

Edit to add: in case fucktards didn't notice, the US national debt exceeded GDP last month, and at current rate of money burn is slated to double again in four years, but these miserable fucks want to just keep shoveling money we haven't got. This won't end well.

Well your boy trump added $6 trillion in debt over his administration and

spacer.png

Lost seven million US jobs to Nov. 2020 I don't see you or the GOP even mentioning this.

First of all, he's not "my" boy. Second, he's just the latest in a long line of big spenders going back 20 years (Bush Jr double the debt, and then Obammy doubled THAT). I'm beefing about the whole enchilada, not just the guacamole. If this doesn't get turned around soon, the resulting crash will make 1929 look like a cake-walk. And the Chinese will just be waiting to sweep in and make offers that can't be refused. Edit to add: if the dollar collapses under this burden, it'll take the entire world down with it. That's why I've got a good-sized stash of gold buried on my land in Montana. When YOUR money is worthless and you're bartering for rotten fruit, kindly remember that you were warned that this would happen (small-minded people [those who are only concerned about those who are currently steering the ship off the cliff] don't see the big picture).

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, markharju said:

First of all, he's not "my" boy.

Well you were very quick to equate a Biden staffer to "this piece of shit" that was voted in by "leftist fucktards".

9 minutes ago, markharju said:

If this doesn't get turned around soon, the resulting crash will make 1929 look like a cake-walk.

Well in the UK, 1929 is already a cake-walk. We've had the biggest fall in 300 years.

Met someone complaining about almost exactly the same things as you - he was complaining about young 'uns being entitled by complaining about their £50,000 student debts. He got a free ride to Cambridge in the 70s, and could not see the irony.

2 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Well you were very quick to equate a Biden staffer to "this piece of shit" that was voted in by "leftist fucktards".

Well in the UK, 1929 is already a cake-walk. We've had the biggest fall in 300 years.

Met someone complaining about almost exactly the same things as you - he was complaining about young 'uns being entitled by complaining about their £50,000 student debts. He got a free ride to Cambridge in the 70s, and could not see the irony.

Did he qualify for a scholarship, or was it paid for by taxpayers? Edit to add: I don't get to decide such things but I would prefer that if there's a pot of money for advanced academics which is publicly funded, that those who are studying for a PhD in Cosmology or Nuclear Physics get preference over those who are majoring in lesbian dance theory.

Edited by Guest

Mark, my cousin was a tenured dance professor for many years at one of the most liberal "hippie" colleges in the US. She assures me that every single one of her students who majored in dance knows, in fact, that they almost certainly won't be working in dance, and that they virtually all had practical minors.

Young kids are not as stupid as you think -- we weren't as stupid as our parents thought we were, either.

And there's nothing wrong with being a lesbian. It's how some people are born. And a very few choose the behavior of being a lesbian, generally due to trauma. Just as some people who are attracted to the same sex choose opposite-sex partners, generally due to trauma (i.e. societal and religious pressure)

Wendy P.

4 minutes ago, markharju said:

Did he qualify for a scholarship, or was it paid for by taxpayers? Edit to add: I don't get to decide such things but I would prefer that if there's a pot of money for advanced academics which is publicly funded, that those who are studying for a PhD in Cosmology or Nuclear Physics get preference over those who are majoring in lesbian dance theory.

Paid for by taxpayers as part of "equality" initiatives since Cambridge is the usual destination of the aristocracy in the UK. He managed to fuck up his career after that but that's a different story.

I would prefer that if there's a pot of money for advanced academics which is publicly funded, that those who are studying for a PhD in Cosmology or Nuclear Physics

I'm definitely pro the science side of things (as you can probably tell by my username) and agree with this.

However as much as I love science, I'm very thankful to things like Netflix for getting me through the last lockdown. Try going through life without watching TV shows, movies, video games, or any form that needs the arts - they're a much bigger part of the world than you probably realise.

Why should anyone be forced to pay for someone else's college ride? Why can't they pay for it themselves? States fund K-12 through real estate taxes (at least in my experience). I think that's bullshit too, but I still think the 3 R's mean something (edit to add: it should be up to the goddamned STATES, and not the federal bureaucracy. No wonder things are so fucked up). University? NO FUCKING WAY.

Edited by Guest

Just now, olofscience said:

Paid for by taxpayers as part of "equality" initiatives since Cambridge is the usual destination of the aristocracy in the UK. He managed to fuck up his career after that but that's a different story.

I'm definitely pro the science side of things (as you can probably tell by my username) and agree with this.

However as much as I love science, I'm very thankful to things like Netflix for getting me through the last lockdown. Try going through life without watching TV shows, movies, video games, or any form that needs the arts - they're a much bigger part of the world than you probably realise.

I quit all of that when it got so fucking woke. FUCK THEM. Who the fuck needs a fucking degree to be a fucking entertainer, anyway?

I struggle with this subject, and I have a lot of conflicting viewpoints.

I think that the government and higher education institutions are largely to blame for the huge increase in the cost of a college degree relative to inflation.

Where is the pound of flesh from these universities and colleges that enriched themselves and their staff offering degrees with low return on investment that came with ever increasing tuition bills. What about the lending industry that was protected by the fact that student loans aren't dischargeable.

I also think that the US society at large has responsibility for this blind promotion of college. There are a lot of dumbass boomer and gen x parents out there that pushed their kids to go on a college path with zero plan, backed up by their kids high school guidance counselors. These kids were following the plan laid out for them, and were stuck paying grossly inflated tuition that others used to make a tidy profit from.

From a personal responsibility stand-point it does chap my ass. I have paid off all of my college debt, almost 50k, that I incurred earning my BS in accounting. Do I get a rebate? 

I think any forgiveness plan needs to be paired with a complete overhaul of the system in general because right now it is nothing short of another tax payer funded ponzi scheme.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markharju said:

They're spending money WE DO NOT POSSESS. Even though the Swiss are much more frugal than their American counterparts, national debt for the Confederation is approaching 50%. Edit to add: sure, there is a LOT of spending that is totally out of control in the US. Defense and social programs eat up most of the pie, but adding to it like this is beyond stupid. Hey Hair-Sniffer! Why don't you pay off my mortgage while you're at it?

Odd that you are throwing so much hate at Biden and being respectful of the guy who actually CAUSED the current record deficit.

3 hours ago, markharju said:

I quit all of that when it got so fucking woke. FUCK THEM. Who the fuck needs a fucking degree to be a fucking entertainer, anyway?

I hear this quite often.

"Who needs to study to be an abstract painter?  My 2 year old can do that!"

"You need a certification to be a PLUMBER?   You go to Home Depot and you buy some stuff.  Done.  Anyone who can't do that is an idiot."

"Carpentry? Anyone can nail some boards together."

"You're saying you have to LEARN how to skydive?  Is that a joke?  You mean it takes skill to fall out of a plane and pull a string?"

Reality is, of course, very different.

4 minutes ago, billvon said:

I hear this quite often.

"You need a certification to be a PLUMBER?   You go to Home Depot and you buy some stuff.  Done.  Anyone who can't do that is an idiot."

"You're saying you have to LEARN how to skydive?  Is that a joke?  You mean it takes skill to fall out of a plane and pull a string?"

And still you avoid his main point. You won't be taken seriously, Bill, until you post a GIF of you doing some Lesbian dancing.

21 minutes ago, billvon said:

Odd that you are throwing so much hate at Biden and being respectful of the guys (plural) who actually CAUSED the current record deficit.

Fixed it for ya.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

I hear this quite often.

Let them pay for it themselves. There's your reality.

5 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Mark, my cousin was a tenured dance professor for many years at one of the most liberal "hippie" colleges in the US. She assures me that every single one of her students who majored in dance knows, in fact, that they almost certainly won't be working in dance, and that they virtually all had practical minors.

Young kids are not as stupid as you think -- we weren't as stupid as our parents thought we were, either.

And there's nothing wrong with being a lesbian. It's how some people are born. And a very few choose the behavior of being a lesbian, generally due to trauma. Just as some people who are attracted to the same sex choose opposite-sex partners, generally due to trauma (i.e. societal and religious pressure)

Wendy P.

"Political correctness is tyranny with a smiley face." - Attributed to Charlton Heston

2 hours ago, markharju said:

"Political correctness is tyranny with a smiley face." - Attributed to Charlton Heston

Here's Charlton Heston bragging about getting Ice-T fired from a record label because he didn't like the lyrics to one of his songs.

In the grand tradition of rank right wing hypocrisy it does not surprise me one bit that you idolise someone who is not only a PC warrior themselves, but was a cancel culture leader decades before it was trendy.

Edited by jakee
  • Like 2

The majority of people with an education after high school, especially a university degree, earn significantly more than people who only finished high school, or who dropped out.  Their major doesn't matter all that much (excepting a few areas such as accounting perhaps), many employers are mainly interested in knowing that a potential employee can stick with a program long enough to graduate.  As a result they pay quite a bit more in taxes over their lifetime.  You could look at it as an investment: put in tens of thousands up front, get back hundreds of thousands long term.  If you tell everyone "you're totally on your own" the only people you will see becoming engineers (as one example) will be the people who have both the smarts to get through the degree, and the money to do it with.  IOW your pool of potential engineers will be kids from well off families.  Alternatively, if you take family wealth out of the equation you can open up the opportunity to select for ability and end up with a larger set of really talented engineers for the work force.

BTW the main reason why college/university tuition has increased so much is that state funding has shrunk dramatically compared to 30 or 40 years ago.  Also you don't want to limit your pool of potential faculty to people who are unable to get/hold on to a job in industry, which means universities have to compete with the private sector for talent.  Speaking for myself, after putting myself through undergraduate, a Master's degree, a PhD, and 2 postdoctoral fellowships, I am not going to settle for a $25,000 salary for the privilege of teaching at a university (undergraduate and graduate courses, plus running a research lab to train grad students) when I could earn many times that amount in industry.

5 hours ago, markharju said:

Let them pay for it themselves. There's your reality.

Here is an article from Forbe's that discusses the cost of training military pilots.  A basic qualified F-16 pilot costs $5.6 million, an F-35A pilot costs $10.15 million, and an F-22 pilot costs $10.6 million.  There are universities that specialize in aeronautical training.  Why not let would-be fighter pilots pay for their training themselves?  Why should the taxpayer have to pay for that?

For the cost of a single fighter pilot I could train 20-30 PhDs in biotechnology, immunology, or infectious disease research.  What would be the better deal for the economy?  I can assure you the Covid vaccine was not developed by Donald J Trump tinkering in the White House bunker, it was developed by highly trained scientists.

There's your reality.

14 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Here is an article from Forbe's that discusses the cost of training military pilots.  A basic qualified F-16 pilot costs $5.6 million, an F-35A pilot costs $10.15 million, and an F-22 pilot costs $10.6 million.  There are universities that specialize in aeronautical training.  Why not let would-be fighter pilots pay for their training themselves?  Why should the taxpayer have to pay for that?

For the cost of a single fighter pilot I could train 20-30 PhDs in biotechnology, immunology, or infectious disease research.  What would be the better deal for the economy?  I can assure you the Covid vaccine was not developed by Donald J Trump tinkering in the White House bunker, it was developed by highly trained scientists.

There's your reality.

"The Air Force has quietly hired not one, but seven different companies to provide "red air" adversary support to help U.S. military combat jet pilots train at various bases across the United States. This massive multi-billion dollar contract is the culmination of a major effort within the service that has been years in the making to increasingly rely on contractors to provide these services in order to improve flexibility for training requirements and to save money."

NATO Flying Training in Canada

I agree with your premise that education in the sciences would provide for a better America, a better ROI. But the GOP, trump and the US military industrial complex disagree.

6 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Ah...I think I understand you now. Let me guess. You also belong to a firearms forum somewhere. And a prepper forum. And are a supporter of Faux News. 

*** Wrong on all counts. Kindly don't pigeonhole me - thanks. "Faux News" (whatever that means) could easily apply to CNN, MSNBC, etc. etc. etc.

Any excessive spending is in reality a GOOD thing on a short term basis for now, except for one main area. We spend far more on defense than we actually need. 

*** No disagreement there. Except it isn't just defense (which is the biggest and the worst), it's everything. US $23 TRILLION spent since Johnson's "Great Society", and the only thing to show for it is more poverty, and more deficit.

The other problem is that the folks making the most money are paying far less than their fair share of the burden. Same with many corporations. This puts the main burden on the people the programs were designed for. We would not really have a deficit problem if we simply ditched the tax code and did a flat tax on income, whether it be billionaires, corporations and companies, or even the poor. A straight flat tax, scaled to the income. No more problems and you would be surprised how fast that deficit would vanish. No loopholes, no deductions, no complex tax codes and tax attorneys would soon be out of work. If companies or corporations want to expand production or their global reach...they simply do it the old fashioned way...by using the profits they earn from sales or services.

*** There's always a certain amount of "politics of envy", aka "eat the rich". I seem to recall that reducing and modifying taxes boosted the economy, resulting in a net gain of revenue. However, I agree that corporations should be treated in a more egalitarian fashion with respect to taxes.

It's never been where the money goes. It's always been how the deposits to the account arrive there for spending. This should especially apply to the Feds. And in order to fix this deficit problem, EVERYONE NEEDS TO PAY THEIR SHARE. In this way, services are met and everyone feels equally treated. I would set a Federal poverty guideline for both small business and individuals and then institute a sliding scale for a flat tax, based on gross income. This would also encourage more frugality and less irresponsibility with rich folks and corporations, who currently get richer on the backs of regular folks. 

*** The problem is what constitutes a "fair share". Anecdote: in Sweden the tax structure became geared towards heavily taxing the wealthy, such that by the 1970's, there were wealthy people who were being taxed IN EXCESS OF 100% of their income (go look it up - I'm not going to provide the source). Guess what they did? THEY TOOK THEIR MONEY AND THEY LEFT (see California). This resulted in Sweden modifying their tax system so that the welfare state, while still present, didn't overwhelm the revenue base. The only other solution for this is to build walls to keep people IN, not OUT.

Everybody wants to blame the government. But the real problem is that nothing is in balance, especially the way Americans are taxed. In fact, the whole thing is done back-asswards using a tax code that should have been ditched decades ago. The US government practices a lot of short-term borrowing, which isn't necessarily bad unless the money you depend on to repay that money is coming from a screwed-up system that puts the most burden on the people least able to assist those repayments. 

*** Agreed. However, the biggest problem is citizens (and corporations) who want something for nothing, and politicians who promise it. We ARE the government but allow ourselves to be dictated to by an entitled wealthy and powerful class who think their shit doesn't stink. We get what we deserve.

Calling for a flat tax is easy. I'm not the first to do it, and it's unlikely to happen. So what do you do to make it more fair, if you can't create a perfectly fair system. Easy answer. Slash the loopholes to nearly zero, raise the corporate tax rate and make sure they actually PAY it, then raise taxes on higher-income earners. CUT taxes to the middle class, and down to almost nothing for the poor. That would be better than what's going on now, but for this to happen, someone...someWHERE ...has to bring the hammer down and do it. 

*** I doubt this administration or the next or the next will do that (make radical improvements to the tax system). There's just too much vested in the status quo. It's going to take a major upheaval (read: economic collapse brought on by devaluation and hyperinflation). The big fear I have is that when it occurs, the snakes will come out and sing the siren song of socialism and people, being desperate, will swallow the hook. Game over.

I hope in reading this, you'll perhaps come to think that although I can be a troll, I'm not the knee-jerk reactionary you may have been led to believe that I am.

Edited by Guest