melushell

WHY do you swoop?

melushell

seriously...what drives you or your friends towards landing your canopy as fast as possible?

To me, because it is more similar to landing an airplane than landing a medium performance (or large) canopy. Flare partially, let it plane out, keep steering, then land when the lift is finally gone.

(I'm an airplane pilot, and this is my answer, and I'm sticking with it.)

By the way, I don't necessarily want to go as fast as possible on landing, but it helps. I also like landing large canopies too, because sometimes I don't want to have to concentrate so much on landing, and just touch down on tip-toes.

Swooping provokes an hyper-focus state on me, which I really enjoy.

Swooping, for me, is a never ending search for perfection.

Developing the ability to stay calm and to look smooth while swooping the ground faster than highway speeds is very challenging and, accomplishing it, is very rewarding.

Also, heard from a really good both freeflier and competitive swooper that there's no short cuts like the tunnel, you have to earn it and the there's no new hot shot popping up every competition.

Tough questions,
I think I have always been atttracted by speed.
Cars, Motorcycles...
Used to ride my bike at 180mph+ and pass that where in the left lane (I would pass on their left side between car and well, end of road.

So all in all, swooping is probably me starting to play it safe (as I get older)

We used to get accused of swooping to show off. Attention seekers. Some of my most memorable swoops were landing out with no one around while I rip a line with no outs. That said, never waste a crowd
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

craddock

We used to get accused of swooping to show off. Attention seekers. Some of my most memorable swoops were landing out with no one around while I rip a line with no outs. That said, never waste a crowd

But I bet your worst ones were in front of everyone on the entire drop zone during its biggest boogies...at least
That's when I do all of my crap landings.[:/]