Highfiveflyer

What to wear when skydiving in cold weather?

Question

I'm going for my level 4 and 5 jumps tomorrow and I realized it's gonna be about 50 degrees when I jump... is it really gonna be 30 degrees colder at altitude? I'm worried I'm gonna freeze my ass off and tense up.. any advice or tips will be appreciated!

2 answers to this question

Yes. It will be colder at altitude. Remember that you will only be in it for a minute or so. 

Add a couple layers. Avoid anything that adds a snag potential. Hoodies with strings are a bad idea. 
Generally, I'll wear a thermal undershirt, a normal T shirt and a sweatshirt (non-hooded). Plus a jumpsuit over that. 
I wear gloves on every jump, so that's not an issue. Beware of thick gloves, you need a  fair amount of dexterity. I like the advice that you should be able to tie your shoes wearing the gloves. 

It actually won't be as bad as you might think.

I'm a bit of a 'weather wuss' (for Wisconsin). I'll jump as long as it's above freezing on the ground. Which may mean as cold as -20F at 14k. 
It's somewhat cold in the plane, and when the door opens and that really cold air comes in, it's pretty cold. 
Then the green light goes on and it's 'game on'. I am so focused on the jump that I don't feel the cold until after I open. Then it's cold again. I land, run into the heated hangar & pack. By then I've warmed up enough that I can go again. 

Some folks will jump down into the teens. Which is even colder up top. 

There's one guy who holds the record for most consecutive months with at least one jump without clothes, in Wisconsin. Something over 10 years.

Yes. Really.

We have covered "dressing" for cold weather several times before.

Good advice about gloves above. When temperature dips below freezing - at exit altitude - you should wear thin, leather gloves that allow you to feel your handles.

To calculate temperature at exit altitude, subtract 2 degrees Celcius per 1,000 feet of extra altitude. E.G. if it is 20 degrees Celcius on the ground (typical room temperature), you can expect it to be freezing (0 degrees Celcius) when you exit at 10,000 feet above ground level.

Otherwise, dress in a series of light layers that will trap thin layers of warm air near your skin. I wear Spandex leotards, then waffle weave long underwear, then cotton sweat pants, then a jumpsuit. The jump suit's primary function is to cut the wind ... er reduce wind chill.

Zippered turtle-necks are the best way to keep your head and neck warm. One pound of insulation on your head - or neck - is worth 10 pounds of insulation elsewhere on your body.

My first military jump was with rucksack, rifle and snowshoes. Guess why I brought snowshoes?

Hah!

Hah!