chuckakers

A new "Citizens for Quiet Skies" issue

http://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/5118216-151/residents-say-skydivers-are-noisy-neighbors

There’s a battle between skydivers and homeowners in Sisters these days, a “not in my backyard” fight that is taking place 10,000 feet above the ground.

The residents, who mostly live in neighborhoods around Sisters Eagle Airport, have organized to form Save Our Skies, a citizen group whose goal is to stop a local skydiving outfit, Skydive Awesome! The group’s 120 members, according to its website, believe the increased air traffic and noise that skydiving brings to the area is disrupting their rural ambiance.

“I don’t think anybody is opposed to maintaining the airport, but the recent recreational uses will severely impact the neighborhoods and the quality of life that we live here for,” said SOS member Karen Hulbert. “This isn’t the right airport for them.”

The co-owners of Skydive Awesome!, Cara and Stephen Rosier, say the citizen group is acting unreasonably. Instead of working out a compromise, the group has resorted to simply trying to shut down their skydiving operation, the Rosiers say.

Skydive Awesome! opened last spring and oversaw more than 1,000 tandem and solo jumps between March and November.

It’s a classic case of NIMBYism, Cara Rosier said, except for one thing: The backyard includes a privately owned, public-use airport.

“It’s a public airport, and the skydivers happen to be the newest commercial entity operating there, but complaints and hatred have surrounded changes at the airport well before we arrived,” she said. “We’re shocked that (SOS) would spend so much time and energy on this.” Indeed, the group’s efforts to derail Skydive Awesome! operations vary.

• There are the numerous letters to the editor that concerned citizens have written to The Nugget, Sisters’ weekly newspaper, since last summer.

• Public comment during city council meetings and a recent Oregon Department of Aviation hearing have also provided a platform for opposition.

• And dozens of calls and written complaints have been received by Sisters and Deschutes County officials.

“I’ve never gotten so many emails,” said Sisters’ Interim City Manager Rick Allen, pointing to a message he received from Sisters resident Stephen Poss on Feb. 23.

“While we support local airports and flying by responsible pilots,” the letter begins, “the operations of Sisters Eagle Airport have recently expanded and threaten to further expand in ways that in my opinion cause critical harm and diminish the Sisters community and the entire county… .”

There’s also “the investigation,” as Hulbert put it, that Save Our Skies is conducting into what legal and administrative obstacles it can use to stop Skydive Awesome!. Hulbert said the group is looking into permitting rules, aviation and skydiving statutes at all levels of government and a 40-year-old deed that spells out permitted land use at airport.

“Ideally, (Skydive Awesome!) would not exist,” she said, noting SOS has hired an attorney to help and legal action isn’t out of the question.

“I don’t think any options are off the table,” she said.

So far, the citizens group hasn’t been able to stop the skydivers even after discovering last summer that Skydive Awesome! doesn’t have the proper permits to allow customers to touch down on their landing zone — private, off-airport property.

And time could be running out for the members of Save Our Skies. For one thing, Skydive Awesome! will start the post-winter skydiving season next month, and the company is already advertising.

But Stephen Rosier said he isn’t sure if he wants to get the permits that would allow skydivers to touch down on the private land he used last year, or if he wants to have them use the airport, where no permit is required.

Also, on Tuesday the Oregon State Aviation board will meet in Salem and decide as part of its monthly meeting, whether or not Sisters Eagle Airport should be listed on “Appendix M” — a list of state-recognized, privately owned, public-use airports. When that happens, the airport’s approved land uses will be transferred to the state’s control.

Currently, what happens at the Sisters Eagle Airport is managed by the city of Sisters. And even though skydiving is an approved recreational use in both state and city statutes and ordinances, SOS members worry that the Appendix M designation will hinder their efforts.

“As it is now, the city has the ability to limit some uses at the airport, even if they’re approved uses,” Hulbert said, noting the group has written a letter requesting the aviation board delay its vote. “Once Appendix M happens, the city would lose that ability, which is too bad. Local control is always good, every community should strive to keep control of its own facilities.”

For her part, Cara Rosier says that Appendix M is a nonissue. Regardless of whether the airport is listed or not, skydiving is an approved recreational use at Sisters Eagle Airport.

“There’s no entity of government that can control that,” she said.

Mitch Swecker, ODA director, agreed. He said that being listed on Appendix M won’t change anything for the airport, besides codifying its approved uses in state statute. It’s a somewhat obscure listing that most private-public airports in Oregon are already on.

“I’ve been with ODA for eight years and this is the first time I’ve had anyone ask to be listed,” he said, noting that he expects the airport will be added to the appendix. “The best and easiest way to get anything changed is to work with the airport and the airport owner. We’re not making anyone or stopping them from conducting these activities.”

The only "deafening roar" is the sound of the twittering NIMBY birds whining and crying over life going on around them while they hide away in their cages.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Hi Chuck,

The residents,

Sisters, OR is a growing small town in a great place.

'The residents' probably don't like the growth that is taking place either.

Some people just want it 'like the good old days.'

Well, they are gone forever.

I have met the DZO's and they are working hard to offer another recreational activity in an area that almost totally survives on recreation and other summer activities for visitors to the area. Central Oregon is a 'happening' place for recreation.

One another note: The Oregon Dep't of Aviation has so far been quite supportive of skydiving through out this state.

Jerry Baumchen

There is a road near my home, and it's kind of annoying to me when cars travel on it.

I think I will petition the city to have them prohibit all Blue colored cars from driving on that road.

Then I will be happy. (So those of you with red cars, or green cars, or silver, gold, black, white, or yellow cars have nothing to worry about.)

jimmytavino

Hmmmm.... How about if OUR SOS Organization , Skydivers Over Sixty, plans a Boogie at the Airport..???
Then, it can Be Our SOS versus Their SOS. :oB|
Nothing like a bunch of Skydiving Oldsters, to help Stir things UP a Bit..:)B|;)

jmy

And a SIS event, too! I mean, who's going to argue against a SISTERS in skydiving event? :P

ETA: they're setting themselves up, really. I mean, restricting skydivers in a place called "Sisters"? Not to mention "Deschutes" National Forest! :D
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

kallend

USDOT transportation noise map: (takes a while to load the noise contours).

maps.bts.dot.gov/arcgis/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=a303ff5924c9474790464cc0e9d5c9fb

Amusing part is there is no aviation noise shown anywhere around Longmont, nor the Gunbarrel CDP where the Grump lives. The closest one is the corridor that follows US36 and skims the Southern edge of Boulder.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

maps.bts.dot.gov/arcgis/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=a303ff5924c9474790464cc0e9d5c9fb

Amusing part is there is no aviation noise shown anywhere around Longmont, nor the Gunbarrel CDP where the Grump lives. The closest one is the corridor that follows US36 and skims the Southern edge of Boulder.:D

Sounds like it should be brought up to the lawyers for the drop zone... to use against CQS ;)

kallend

How/where did you get that link?
It worked previously, but is giving me a 404 error now.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

How/where did you get that link?
It worked previously, but is giving me a 404 error now.

Try this:
https://www.bts.gov/newsroom/national-transportation-noise-map

ETA: looks like their service is down, but that ID may be expired, that link should generate a new ID when you click the "National Transportation Noise Map" link
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Groups like this get under my skin. They had an airport in the area with aircraft buzzing around before skydivers ever came into the picture. By their logic, why not just shut down the whole airport?

I believe it is a personal vendetta against people who think differently from them. There are few people who live there, they all interact with the world the same way, and they don't want anything interrupting their bubble.

Sad, sad, ignorant way to spend a lifetime.

JumpSurfRepeat

Groups like this get under my skin. They had an airport in the area with aircraft buzzing around before skydivers ever came into the picture. By their logic, why not just shut down the whole airport?

Gibbs has made it clear that is her ultimate goal. She is on video at a Longmont City Council meeting, stating that if her demands are not met, then the airport should be closed. Going after MHS is just an intermediate goal.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Chuck,

Central Oregon is a 'happening' place for recreation.

A little more info about this area: http://www.sisterscountry.com/Recreation-and-activities

Jerry Baumchen

Hey Jerry,

If I read them map right, they are not getting much wiggle room. One oof the quotes stated that it was a "public" airport I think it is a private airport with public use. Not sure what effect that will have but like you said the ODA appears to be dealing fairly.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Well put.
In our "activist" age there are:
NIMBY'S - CAVES - and BANANAS.

NIMBYS "Not in my back yard"
CAVES Citizens against virtually everything
BANANAS "Don't build anything anywhere near anything"

Whenever there is a "cause", no matter how silly, these attention-starved "activists" just love to join with any complainer. Guess it makes them feel wanted. They feel they are noble because they are seeking what they feel is justice for some cause. They join because someone is tooting a horn and they just want to be part of it.

The airport we use hired an extermination company to get rid of the gophers. Suddenly the university community became alive with protesters who wrote "save the gophers" letters to the editor, lit up social media, etc. and in general just joined because of this mentality of being part of a group that had a cause. The dumbshit newspaper gave them a boost by floating pictures of one or two of them holding protest signs. I understand the tiny group who protested because they actually believed in the cause but I don't give credit to those who join the bandwagon because they just love a protest party. I doubt many actually gave a shit about these rats that live in underground burrows/rodents, but I think most were self-gratified simply because they had joined a protest group. Coffee shop heroes I guess. I'm guessing a lot of people who are not even affected join the various "Citizens for Quiet Skies" movements for the same reasons.