I've only been in the sport about 6 months and always jumpednin old gym shoes. I see people jump in hiking boots and hi cut sneakers, some in running shoes, others in skateboarding shoes, some barefoot.

What do you jump in and why? Ankle support? Ability to run it out? Slick bottom to slip/skip across water when swooping?

Justincase289

I've only been in the sport about 6 months and always jumpednin old gym shoes. I see people jump in hiking boots and hi cut sneakers, some in running shoes, others in skateboarding shoes, some barefoot.

What do you jump in and why? Ankle support? Ability to run it out? Slick bottom to slip/skip across water when swooping?

Work boots.....

To stamp out forest fires.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Skate shoes.

I used to do tandems with cross trainers. I think it partially led to my tib-fib on an otherwise decent tandem landing.

Now I think it is more important to have shoes that slide better, and are less likely to catch on landing area imperfections, than to have the extra ankle support. If I want additional ankle support I wear an ankle brace.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

RMK

Your shoes must also colour coordinate with your jumpsuit and gear - this hasn't been mentioned above.

I've often heard the saying on Skydiving "Safety 3rd" and I find this misleading and dangerous. It should be "Matchey-matchey 3rd...saftey 4th...if there's time for it".

Carry on.

Trafficdiver

***Your shoes must also colour coordinate with your jumpsuit and gear - this hasn't been mentioned above.

I've often heard the saying on Skydiving "Safety 3rd" and I find this misleading and dangerous. It should be "Matchey-matchey 3rd...saftey 4th...if there's time for it".

Carry on.

True. My progression has been impacted severely by my canopy not matching my rig. I finally got a jump suit that matches, but I have to do something about the canopy.

RMK

Your shoes must also colour coordinate with your jumpsuit and gear - this hasn't been mentioned above.

Yep, posing is sooo important. Ypu can't afford to be uncool.

Buy new shoes....you have to then buy a new jumpsuit and rig to go with it.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I like my Vans too, but after jumping in old running shoes for over a year, I'm finding they don't have a lot of support. My heels hurt after a couple of decent landings.

And of course, they match the rest of my gear, but now that I've started CRW, shoes that match your clothes (or even each other) is a sign of a true rookie.
I'm not a lady, I'm a skydiver.