1 1
airdvr

Whomever comes out on top tomorrow...

This is a recent Trump tweet.  I don't know what to say about it. 

We have claimed, for Electoral Vote purposes, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (which won’t allow legal observers) the State of Georgia, and the State of North Carolina, each one of which has a BIG Trump lead. Additionally, we hereby claim the State of Michigan if, in fact,.....

3 minutes ago, ScottishJohn said:

This is a recent Trump tweet.  I don't know what to say about it. 

We have claimed, for Electoral Vote purposes, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (which won’t allow legal observers) the State of Georgia, and the State of North Carolina, each one of which has a BIG Trump lead. Additionally, we hereby claim the State of Michigan if, in fact,.....

trump is holed up in his trumpenbunker paranoid about January 20th, pay no attention to it. But expect more nonsense.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, yoink said:

Trump said before election day that he was already preparing a legal challenge, so that's an almost certainty. What an utter clusterfuck.

These last elections show that America is so divided that whoever wins it's almost impossible to run it as a single country and make changes that work for a significant majority of the population. 

Split the US up into 3 smaller countries like Europe. Let them manage themselves with treaties between them.

I had a Canadian doctor for a flight physical tell me 20 years ago the USA was too big to manage and should be split up into 4 countries.  Split at the Mississippi then each half split into north and south segments.  Made sense to me.

Dear Bigfalls,

The Mississippi River is too simple a border because the USA has substantial farmland between the Appalachians and the Eastern bank of the Mississippi.

Did you ever read the book: "The Nine nations of North America?" It was published during the early 1980s and divided Canada, Mexico and the USA into 9 distinctive "nations" based upon climate, topography and economy.

Cascadia: Northern California, Oregon, Washington State along with the Pacific Coasts of British Columbia and Alaska.

South-West Desert: includes much of Mexico, New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Utah, Southern California, the Eastern parts of Oregon, Washington and the SW corner of B.C.

Great Plains: Canadian Prairies, Dakotas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Indiana, Missouri, etc.

Deep South: most of the former Confederate States

Caribbean: Florida, parts of Louisiana, Texas, Mexico and a whole bunch of islands.

North East: including most of New England and Canada's Maritime Provinces

Rust Belt: most of the states and provinces touching on the Great Lakes.

Appalachia: includes the western parts of many Confederate and New England states, all the way up into Southern Quebec

Quebec:

Most geographers ignore the Rocky Mountains and Arctic because so few people live in those cold climates.

1 hour ago, Westerly said:

so who is going to win? that's all that matters. the retoric is if the republicans lose, some of those who voted for trump will still be alive come this summer, whereas if trump wins many of them (and dems as well) will be dead from Covid come summertime. we will be sitting at 250,000 cases a day and 500,000 deaths and it will still be 'we defeated covid months ago--we're doing great'.

Saw some reporting that said Trump did well in counties with high Covid death numbers. Sounds very counter intuitive, but imagine the irony if he lost some states because some of his supporters died from COVID.

1 minute ago, SkyDekker said:

Saw some reporting that said Trump did well in counties with high Covid death numbers. Sounds very counter intuitive, but imagine the irony if he lost some states because some of his supporters died from COVID.

Well you have to remember states that are high in COVID cases are that way because they obviously dont take the virus seriously. Thus, if they dont take the virus seriously why would it affect their poll decisions? In the grand scheme things of things, 230k deaths is like 1.5 deaths per 1,000 so in reality most people probably do not know someone who has died of COVID. I dont know of any. I dont even personally know of anyone who has been hospitalized. I know of coworkers in my building that ended up in the ICU, but I dident personally know them. So for most people, unless they have some super extended family or something, most Americans still havent directly lost a love one or ended up in the hospital themselves so until that happens the COVID deniers are not likely to care.

6 hours ago, riggerrob said:

Most geographers ignore the Rocky Mountains and Arctic because so few people live in those cold climates

Yeah, it's like the Arctic here, (65 deg) and so few people live here that it only takes 1 hour at rush hour to go a couple miles. At least we get to be our own completely independent area--not part of any nation. I know some libertarians who'd have an orgasm over this!

(edited)
15 hours ago, yoink said:

Trump said before election day that he was already preparing a legal challenge, so that's an almost certainty. What an utter clusterfuck.

These last elections show that America is so divided that whoever wins it's almost impossible to run it as a single country and make changes that work for a significant majority of the population. 

Split the US up into 3 smaller countries like Europe. Let them manage themselves with treaties between them.

There are supposed to be 50. The big problem is too much power, economic, political and military, concentrated in a centralized government not designed to handle it.

Consider that although it wouldn't scale up to the size of the USA, the Swiss have NO CENTRAL GOVERNMENT AT ALL. The legislators convene any time there is business which affects all the cantons (Swiss states), and then...guess what? They legislate, and then THEY GO HOME. The Swiss cantons and the Federal government also host a lot of referenda, in which everyone has a voice. Naturally that means the Swiss vote a lot, and thus have a highly direct participatory system, as opposed to ours in which representatives are selected. This is why both houses of Congress should have term limits IMO. It would be a good compromise.

I'm not saying the Helvetic Confederation is better (after all, geography plays a major role), and I seriously doubt that such a system would scale up to the USA. However, decentralization would help a lot towards solving some of the intractable problems the US experiences. Politics is after all, local.

I'm predicting Biden takes Nevada. Game over.

Edited by Guest

34 minutes ago, markharju said:

I'm predicting Biden takes Nevada. Game over.

The Biden lead is decreasing in Arizona.  He lost 10k votes with the last 70k update in Maricopa county.  They still have 4x that number of votes to count in that county , and they are supposedly the main blue county.  Word is that the most recent mail in ballot requests,  and the day of election drop-off ballots, were more R than D.  I expect the margin will decrease to 10-20k votes in AZ, maybe tighter.

7 hours ago, mbohu said:

Yeah, it's like the Arctic here, (65 deg) and so few people live here that it only takes 1 hour at rush hour to go a couple miles. At least we get to be our own completely independent area--not part of any nation. I know some libertarians who'd have an orgasm over this!

It's been hitting 75F this week here in Red Dawn country. It's brutal, I tell ya!