airdvr

'A Huge Attack': Critics Decry Trump Order That Makes Firing Federal Workers Easier

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/31/929597578/a-huge-attack-critics-decry-trump-order-that-makes-firing-federal-workers-easier

"I've talked to managers in the past who say that they want to do the right thing and they want to hold workers accountable," says Greszler. "They want to get rid of the bad apples who are weighing others down and preventing the agency from carrying out its mission. But ultimately, the managers said, they often gave up because they had to spend so much time and so much effort that ... it just wasn't worth it. They determined it was better to just keep these people on the payrolls and shift their job responsibilities to others. And that's a big problem."

Long overdue.

19 minutes ago, airdvr said:

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/31/929597578/a-huge-attack-critics-decry-trump-order-that-makes-firing-federal-workers-easier

"I've talked to managers in the past who say that they want to do the right thing and they want to hold workers accountable," says Greszler. "They want to get rid of the bad apples who are weighing others down and preventing the agency from carrying out its mission. But ultimately, the managers said, they often gave up because they had to spend so much time and so much effort that ... it just wasn't worth it. They determined it was better to just keep these people on the payrolls and shift their job responsibilities to others. And that's a big problem."

Long overdue.

Maybe. I'm guessing I'm not alone in wishing ill on some jackass government employee from time to time. But this looks like more of a short term play to exact revenge on top people, experts with necessary and valuable institutional knowledge, who don't want to play the Trump loyalty game. For that reason, and because I expect nothing but hell from Trump now, I'm not excited. 

As an aside, I will say that as pissed off as I've ever been at a US government employee, the worst one I've ever experienced in America wouldn't be qualified to carry the lunch of some in South America and India.

What he said. Federal contractors are nearly as protected, and not always with reason. But this, coming with all of the "with us or against us" approach of the current administration, is worrying. Because a hammer is just as destructive in the wrong hands as it is constructive in the right ones.

Wendy P.

(edited)
16 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

.... Because a hammer is just as destructive in the wrong hands as it is constructive in the right ones.

Wendy P.

Thats good, yours?

At this stage of his presidency that order is all about posturing to the base. Not about structural reform. Given how trump has run the WH Joe is on point as usual. Because in the WH everyone with brains or competence has been fired and yes men hired.

Edited by Phil1111

15 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

...Because in the WH everyone with brains or competence has been fired and yes men hired.

Not entirely true.

And there's a lot more to the government than the White House itself.

There are a hell of a lot more people with "brains and competence" in government service than most people think.

Some of it comes from a sense of duty, doing what they see as 'right' for the country.

Some of them are simply in it for the job security and the benefits. But they are still quite capable of doing their jobs well.

The idea of having a professional group of people who aren't political hacks or 'yes men' goes back a long way.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Because in the WH everyone with brains or competence has been fired and yes men hired.

Anyone _outspoken_ with brains or competence has been fired - but that leaves a lot of potentially competent people in place.