HelmetSky

Tunnel Selection Questions

I've been jumping for a while now (belly / freefly), and decided that I need to sharpen my skill set(s). The tunnel is my obvious pick, however I don't have the knowledge (that tunnel rats have) to make a firm selection on what tunnel is best (I want to have the best experience and not waste time/money fighting with things like unstable air in the tunnel) My questions for anyone that has flown in multiple different tunnels are:

• Does it make a difference to fly in a tunnel with a double vs single recirculating fans?
    • Is one smoother / more powerful / etc?
  • I've flown in iFly tunnels before, but I've also seen new tunnels like LuxFly (I know each tunnel has their differences)
    • Has anyone flown in the LuxFly tunnel, and how does it compare to iFly's tunnel?
    • What are the pros-cons of the two tunnel types?
  • Anything else (besides the cost) that I should keep in mind?

(edited)

Hi HelmetSky,

I don't know the specs of tunnels, can only talk from my persional experience, did 20+ hours so far. I flown in 4 types of tunnels:
1. Bedford - the oldest tunnel, if you are not in the UK I don't think they even have those types of tunnels elsewhere, but I might be wrong. The wind isn't the best, but it is wide, unstable wind compensated with the space you have. 
2. iFly 12ft - pretty wobbly next to the glass, and due to size it is hard not to fly close to it.
3. iFly 14ft - I quite enjoy it, again I don't think you can avoid unsable wind, but it is large enough to notice it much really.   
4. HurracaneFactory 14ft - bigger than iFly and a bit choppier wind, but more powerful than iFly.

If I had to start my journey again, I would pick bigger tunnel quicker and a good coach that stays with you through out your jorney. My first 2 hours was with probably 10 different coaches, each had their own idea of how to teach, what speed to choose and I feel I would've progressed quicker if I just sticked to one.

Hope this helps somehow.

Edited by dolphinka

(edited)

Here are some things to consider, assuming you have more than one tunnel to choose from.

Choppy Wind
Modern tunnels are generally smoother than older designs, they've been improving over time. Patents in your country may restrict a company to a certain design which may be better or worse than their competitor. Reach out to the flyers in your community for a consensus on this.

Diffusing Flight Chamber
Some tunnels (including modern designs) the glass gets wider as the flight chamber goes up, meaning the wind speed drops off considerably from 1m --> 2m --> 3m above the net. This is not ideal, and not a good representation of the what the sky is like.

Size
12 Foot is cheap but small/cramped. Good for initial solo stuff but once you start moving around does become quite small. A lot of 12 footers are the diffusing type described above.
14 Foot is reasonably priced and big enough for all solo coaching stuff. Really good for 2-Way Dynamic.
16 Foot is expensive and good for big formation stuff. No real advantage over the 14-footer for solo work.

Wind Speed Limitations
Some tunnels are not powerful enough to fly Head Down in comfortably, becomes more of a problem the heavier you are. To be avoided if HD is your goal.

Coaching Staff
Finding a coach you click with and progress quickly with is probably one of the most important factors. A good coach will save you $$$ of tunnel time in the long run.

I'm lucky to live in a city where we have a modern, non-diffusing 14-foot tunnel that is very powerful and smooth. I haven't flown in any others but everyone I've talked to who has been around loves our tunnel. This is all just opinion of course!

Edited by BigL

21 hours ago, dolphinka said:

1. Bedford - the oldest tunnel, if you are not in the UK I don't think they even have those types of tunnels elsewhere, but I might be wrong. The wind isn't the best, but it is wide, unstable wind compensated with the space you have. 
2. iFly 12ft - pretty wobbly next to the glass, and due to size it is hard not to fly close to it.
3. iFly 14ft - I quite enjoy it, again I don't think you can avoid unsable wind, but it is large enough to notice it much really.   
4. HurracaneFactory 14ft - bigger than iFly and a bit choppier wind, but more powerful than iFly.

If I had to start my journey again, I would pick bigger tunnel quicker and a good coach that stays with you through out your jorney. My first 2 hours was with probably 10 different coaches, each had their own idea of how to teach, what speed to choose and I feel I would've progressed quicker if I just sticked to one.

Thank you for your insight! I agree that a larger tunnel is probably better suited, and one that is powerful is totally on my thoughts as well. It's always hard to find that perfect coach, I can understand why so many (I'd probably do the same thing, and not just settle) I'll see who makes the HurricaneFactory tunnel and see why it's more powerful, thanks again! 

12 hours ago, BigL said:

Choppy Wind
Modern tunnels are generally smoother than older designs, they've been improving over time. Patents in your country may restrict a company to a certain design which may be better or worse than their competitor. Reach out to the flyers in your community for a consensus on this.

Diffusing Flight Chamber
Some tunnels (including modern designs) the glass gets wider as the flight chamber goes up, meaning the wind speed drops off considerably from 1m --> 2m --> 3m above the net. This is not ideal, and not a good representation of the what the sky is like.

Size
12 Foot is cheap but small/cramped. Good for initial solo stuff but once you start moving around does become quite small. A lot of 12 footers are the diffusing type described above.
14 Foot is reasonably priced and big enough for all solo coaching stuff. Really good for 2-Way Dynamic.
16 Foot is expensive and good for big formation stuff. No real advantage over the 14-footer for solo work.

Wind Speed Limitations
Some tunnels are not powerful enough to fly Head Down in comfortably, becomes more of a problem the heavier you are. To be avoided if HD is your goal.

Coaching Staff
Finding a coach you click with and progress quickly with is probably one of the most important factors. A good coach will save you $$$ of tunnel time in the long run.

I'm lucky to live in a city where we have a modern, non-diffusing 14-foot tunnel that is very powerful and smooth. I haven't flown in any others but everyone I've talked to who has been around loves our tunnel. This is all just opinion of course!

• Choppy Wind
    • The hold that iFly has is why I was looking into other tunnels, like LuxFly. It looks like LuxFly uses TunnelTech as their "Tunnel Provider", just don't know too much about them and how they compare to Skyventure's tunnel.
  • Diffusing Flight Chamber
    • Interesting, didn't even think of that, is this for safety or a holdover from "older" designs (if you know)
  • Size
    • Yeah from what @dolphinka said, I agree the middle of the road is what looks right to me too
  • Wind Limitation
    • Good point, while I'm not the heaviest of a person, I'm not the lightest of them either... I'd hate to spend all my tunnel time on the net. Is there somewhere that compares their speeds or are most companies the same (like all iFly tunnels "newer ones" the same limits?)

Who's the maker of the tunnel near you? (So I can compare to what's around me)

Thank you for your reply! 

9 hours ago, HelmetSky said:
  • Choppy Wind
    • The hold that iFly has is why I was looking into other tunnels, like LuxFly. It looks like LuxFly uses TunnelTech as their "Tunnel Provider", just don't know too much about them and how they compare to Skyventure's tunnel.
  • Diffusing Flight Chamber
    • Interesting, didn't even think of that, is this for safety or a holdover from "older" designs (if you know)
  • Size
    • Yeah from what @dolphinka said, I agree the middle of the road is what looks right to me too
  • Wind Limitation
    • Good point, while I'm not the heaviest of a person, I'm not the lightest of them either... I'd hate to spend all my tunnel time on the net. Is there somewhere that compares their speeds or are most companies the same (like all iFly tunnels "newer ones" the same limits?)

Who's the maker of the tunnel near you? (So I can compare to what's around me)

Thank you for your reply! 

I'm unfamiliar with who has what designs, but the freefliers at the DZ will know what's good and what isn't in your area.

The diffusing - might make first flights safer/easier but I'm not an instructor so I could be wrong there.

My home tunnel is an iFly 14 Footer. 2 Fan Recirculating design.

• Like 1