rjangra

How to source a Cessna 182 for Skydiving Operations in India

Looking for some ideas/guidance around getting a Cessna 182 for Skydiving Operations in India. Importing anything older than 15 years is approved case by case basis. Anything older than 20 years can not be imported in India. Can't buy new. I am skydiver and skydivers don't have money :)

I think importing something from Europe will be the easiest. It's just 4000 miles (6000kms) away :) However, not sure how easy/difficult it is to get skydiving modifications (door & step, anything else?) done in Europe. What are some of the ways to transport it from Europe or even US to India? Any guesses around transport costs?

Please share your experiences/thoughts if you have done or heard someone try something similar.

The Cessna Pilots' Association publishes an excellent guide book on purchasing a Cessna 182. The CPA guide will help you avoid many pitfalls.
As for modifications (e.g. jump door) consult a company that specializes in jump-planes (e.g. Nevada Airlift).
Prices will probably be lowest in the USA or Canada - because of availability - ... maybe low enough to offset the cost of stuffing your "new" airplane in a shipping container and shipping it to India. A shipping container is far lower risk than flying it to India.

riggerrob

The Cessna Pilots' Association publishes an excellent guide book on purchasing a Cessna 182. The CPA guide will help you avoid many pitfalls.
As for modifications (e.g. jump door) consult a company that specializes in jump-planes (e.g. Nevada Airlift).
Prices will probably be lowest in the USA or Canada - because of availability - ... maybe low enough to offset the cost of stuffing your "new" airplane in a shipping container and shipping it to India. A shipping container is far lower risk than flying it to India.

Thanks for the Info. How different is CPA from AOPA? https://www.aopa.org/ I am already AOPA member. Regarding shipping, I am worried about the Airworthiness Certification process after assembly. It might be more difficult than just flying the plane into the country.

Phil1111

Thanks for the links. Lot of new information. Seems sourcing an available Cessna 206 from within the country will be much simpler than importing a 182. Any drawbacks of having a cessna 206 as the only plane for your operations? I think 182 is/can be certified to be flown without a door for Skydiving operations but not 206. Which means for 206 we will have to get at least the door modifications done. Any thoughts?

If it has to be under 20 years old, you're looking at a 182S. Quick search shows used prices in the $150-200k range. I'm assuming there aren't any being used for skydiving yet, but I don't know. You'll have to make sure jump modifications are even available for it.

Probably makes more sense to find an older model in India, but I'm guessing you've already tried.

pilotdave

If it has to be under 20 years old, you're looking at a 182S. Quick search shows used prices in the $150-200k range. I'm assuming there aren't any being used for skydiving yet, but I don't know. You'll have to make sure jump modifications are even available for it.

Probably makes more sense to find an older model in India, but I'm guessing you've already tried.

Good point. I wasn't aware that 182S or newer are not used for Skydiving.

Couldn't find a way to figure out if any private party owns a Cessna 182 in India. None of the non-scheduled operators/flying schools have a Cessna 182 in India.

Buy a 182 in the US that is already set up for skydiving. Box it up and ship it to India. When it arrives put a "VT" registration on it and put the wings back on and fly.

You might be able to fly jumpers with an "N" registered aircraft.
The import duty might be high.

Every civil aviation authority runs things differently. I have operated an N registered aircraft in five different countries. It's all about the relationships you build with them.

Cessna 182S are too new and too expensive to haul skydivers.

All the different models of Cessna 182 and 206 are factory-certified for flight with the door removed, but some require the factory-supplied wind deflector.
Multiple after-market (Supplementary Type Certificate) inflight doors are available for jumping. Your best bet is to hire an aircraft maintenance shop that already holds an STC and has already modified a batch of jump-planes.
The most popular (in-flight) jump-doors for Cessna 182 and 206P (co-pilot's door) are just the regular aluminum doors modified with a piano hinge across the top edge. The expertise is in the new door latch and holding-open device. Again best installed by a shop that has already converted several jump planes.
Finally, cargo door U206 are most popular with tandem instructors. 206 can be flown with the cargo door removed in mild weather, but climb faster with the door closed. Closing the door also vastly reduces the risk of accidents if a parachute opens in the cabin pre-maturely. Many U206 jump-planes have (STCed) slide-up Lexan doors.

riggerrob

During the 2017 Parachute Industry Association Symposium, Gary Peek gave a seminar on C getting a 1957 Cessna 182 for jumping.
Gary's PowerPoint slides are available on the PIA website.

The issue is not with the older planes. We can't import anything older than 20 years. And all the STCs that I could find online ends at 182R.

Thanks for pointing to Gary Peek's presentation. Found it on pia.com. Looks like a lengthy process. Will go through it in details. Here's the link for anyone who wants to take a look at it.

http://www.pia.com/images/rocketlauncher/PDF/NEWS/ConvertingC182toJumpPlane121216.pdf