Stephanec

STC for a PA-31 Chieftain

Hi,

I'm a jump pilot, actually with a PA-32. My home base is in the south west of France LFBZ, DZ#376.

Whe are looking for a bigger airplane, but we can't use turbine engine..

The landing zone 2 nm south of the airfield, and by the time they get back to the the airfield, I have to shut down the engine. We can't shut down a turbine 15 time a day...

So, after some brainstorming, a PA31 Chieftain match all our requirements.  Its a well known workhorse, it's cheap (compare to C208) and she can take 5 tandems with 2 loads of fuel.

Actually in europe there isn't any pa31 equiped for skydiving and we need to do all the paperwork with the EASA to get an STC.

Actually I'm looking for :

- a copy of the POH for a PA31-350 or at least  the pages with the limitation for a flight without the rear door

- a contact for a compagny who can provide me a conversion kit (roller door etc)

I've search everywhere, I can get thoses informations easily for a C208 but nothing for a PA-31 ;-(

Thank you for your help

Stephane

Unfortunately I've had too much experience as a jumper on Navajos.

They are old and parts are rare. Anyone who sells parts for them will charge bug bucks because of limited the supply.

If you get one to jump buy another one for parts, maybe you should buy two for parts just to be sure. One DZ I frequent has 2 of them. Last year there was only one weekend where they were both functional and more than one weekend where neither of them was working.

As a jumper with over 40 years of experience with various aircraft my best suggestion is to run, not walk, away from the Navajo.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

Why do you have bad experience with navajo as skydivers ? Too noisy, small exit door ?

I'm surprised about the lack of available parts for maintance, thy are plenty of navajo available on the market.

We are strugeling to find out an available aicraft type who match our requirements, 4 to 5 tandems but without turbine engine, I'm open to all suggestions.

Also can you give a contact in your local DZ where thy operate the navajos ? Hopefully they will be able to give me technicals informations and STC number for skydiving modifications.

Stephane

13 hours ago, Stephanec said:

Why do you have bad experience with navajo as skydivers ? Too noisy, small exit door ?

The bad experience is obvious - They are alway in need of repair and I can't jump from a plane that is not flying.

Here is an old thread for more info https://www.dropzone.com/forums/topic/42758-navajo-for-skydiving%3F%3F/

On 10/25/2020 at 6:28 AM, Stephanec said:

Also can you give a contact in your local DZ where thy operate the navajos ?

Skydive Niagara in Ontario Canada has been operating one for many years now. Have been there but don't know anything about how well it is working out for them. http://www.niagaraskydive.com/

Go Skydive in Quebec by Ottawa used to run 1 or 2 Navajos, but has now transitioned to Caravans as their big planes -- So they might be a good place to ask, both because of language and because they can give a more unbiased opinion if they no longer use a Navajo!         goskydive.ca

(edited)
17 hours ago, IanHarrop said:

The bad experience is obvious - They are alway in need of repair and I can't jump from a plane that is not flying.

Here is an old thread for more info https://www.dropzone.com/forums/topic/42758-navajo-for-skydiving%3F%3F/

I read this thread already, it's all about the small door, the low tail and the wing close to the exit. 

This should not be a problem for us, we are only doing tandems without photographers

Edited by Stephanec

4 hours ago, pchapman said:

Skydive Niagara in Ontario Canada has been operating one for many years now. Have been there but don't know anything about how well it is working out for them. http://www.niagaraskydive.com/

Go Skydive in Quebec by Ottawa used to run 1 or 2 Navajos, but has now transitioned to Caravans as their big planes -- So they might be a good place to ask, both because of language and because they can give a more unbiased opinion if they no longer use a Navajo!         goskydive.ca

Thanks ! i'll contact them. An sure, langage barrier is always a pain in the *** ;)