riggerrob

apartment or van living?

Hi folks,

The lease on my apartment expires in January, so I have to find a new place to live. The scary part is that rents have risen dramaticly near Vancouver. Single bed-room apartments now start at $1200. per month! That equals half my take-home pay!

Yikes!

The next alternative is living in a van. Van living is becoming increasingly popular in Vancouver.

I did live in a VW Westfalia camper van for a couple of years while I was in Southern California. Back then I worked 8 days a week at Elsinore, Perris and Hemet with the occasional trip up to Cal. City. Now that I am older, I need more room than just a bed and a hot-plate.

I cannot afford $189,000 for a new, fully pimped-out, Winnebago, bordello-on-wheels. The low end of the scale starts with a boring shop van and installing the basics for solo living. I already have the hammock, camping stove and bucket to P%$#@! in. How much fancier than that depends upon how much I can afford for upgrades. One limit is that my bank will only grant me a loan for a vehicle less than 3 years old. Three year old vans start at $24,000.

Any suggestions?

27 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

Any suggestions?

I lived in a van for almost a year due to ridiculous San Diego rents.  Big issue is a place to park.  I'd park at the DZ on the weekends and near where I worked during the week - but the cops did occasionally hassle me.  They'd let me go once they saw I wasn't Hispanic, but it still made it hard to sleep.

If you have a friend whose driveway you can park in (and plug in) that's pretty ideal.  If not expect parking hassles and some more $$ to outfit the van for "dry" living.