1 1
Binary93

Line sleeves

There's a thread on facebook about bottom parts of lines (just above risers) failing quickly because RDS isn't removed fast enough. There's also a lot of mention about sleeves for the lines which should take the damage and lengthen the life of the lines.

Can anyone here share pros and cons of different designs? Is there a standard design that you would recommend? There's a mention of a fatality in Thailand because of a cut slink due to improper sleeve design. To sum it up/simplify, I'd like to make this for my canopy, what is the proper way?

Thanks!

Edited by Binary93
Forgot to add the link

Some tandems and canopy formation guys wrap veterinarians' tape around the bottom of their suspension lines, links and the top of their risers.

Veterinarians use this cloth tape to wrap horses' ankles to protect them against re-injury.

As for "slow removal of RDS" ... may I suggest inspecting your slider grommets for rough edges?

4 hours ago, riggerrob said:

As for "slow removal of RDS" ... may I suggest inspecting your slider grommets for rough edges?

I completely agree, but from the comments, it looks like a systematic issue. I myself don't have a problem with this (yet?) but I'm hoping to learn how this sleeve is done properly.

From what I understand, the bottom of the line (hma/vectran) is passed through a larger spectra line. How is the spectra properly secured? What are the dangers of this modification? Apparently, some folks used some sort of adhesive tape at the bottom, but that ended up causing a fatality. Some fingertrapping at the slinks side is also mentioned, but I'm not sure how exactly that's done.

If you create spectra "socks" for the bottom of your lines, you can fingertrap the spectra through your suspension line at the top side. On the slink side, you can pass the spectra through the loop, and then fingertrap spectra back through itself (as you can't do it through the suspension line, fingertrap / bartack is already there for the loop). Very important thing when doing this with highly loaded lines (as opposed to lower control lines which are lightly loaded) is to cut spectra with a taper, so that the finished fingertrap will not cause sudden change in line dimension, but a gradual one. For securing the bottom, some people use electrician rubber which contracts when heated. If you do this, make sure you don't put it too high up the lines, as the lines spread out from the slink to the canopy, and you don't want your lines spreading out the rubber too much. 

14 hours ago, riggerrob said:

Some tandems and canopy formation guys wrap veterinarians' tape around the bottom of their suspension lines, links and the top of their risers.

Veterinarians use this cloth tape to wrap horses' ankles to protect them against re-injury.

I cannot speak for tandem jumping, but within CRW I have only seen vetwrap around riserblocks on the upper part of front risers for the purpose of providing good grip during front riser trim. I have never seen vetwrap used on the lower part of lines for the purpose of protecting lines/slinks from slider humping damage.

16 hours ago, Kenzdik96 said:

.... For securing the bottom, some people use electrician rubber which contracts when heated... 

That's a neat idea.

For those in the US, it's more commonly called 'heat shrink tubing'.

A quick search of the term 'electrician rubber' found gloves.