2 2
Rio Santonil

50+ YR OLD: NEED ADVICE

I'm 52 years old and started on this new journey. Currently, I'm taking AFF course out of Skydive Elsinore in Lake Elsinore, CA USA. I'm scheduled to take AFF Level 5 next week.

In my younger days, I have always been respectful, physical and mental in regards to my approach to any sports. I would like to apply the same principles to skydiving which will hopefully help avoid to jeopardize my progress. In short, I have a 3 part question.

1) What physical exercises or regimen do you do to develop strength, be limber and so on (arms, legs, stomach)? Any advice is appreciated. 

2) What mental preparation do you do? (Before, during and after)

3) What books do you recommend for beginners? Is there a Skydiving for Dummies?

Right now, I am exercising every other day to develop my strength. Working in the corporate field for over 16 years did not help in maintaining my physical stamina. Through my first 4 levels, I'm finding that I'm not as limber as I should. In my assessment of myself, I need to work on body awareness. For my last 3 jumps, I made it a point to do 15 minutes of tunnel time the day before prior to my actual jump in order to be ready.  This is a snapshot of my capabilities and preparation I do for skydiving at the moment. 

Any advice are welcomed and appreciated. 

Thanks everyone! 

Personally, I like yoga for flexibility and some of the strength needs. With practice, most of the strength comes anyway. As a female, who's never had good arm strength (always had good leg strength), I find consistent flaring to be the hardest; dips help with that. I'm 65; flaring hasn't been my strong point since I started jumping squared in the early 1980's, but it hasn't really gotten worse, either.

Some of the articles here on dropzone.com might be considered a good introduction, but hanging around and finding someone to talk to on the DZ in their spare time is another really good way; watching them do what they do, and asking them why.

Wendy P.

• Like 2

I cycle regularly and do pull ups on a homegym type of thing that fits in the door lintel.

Seems to keep me all round fit-ish and don't have a flaring issue.

Never did like mixing tunnel with same day jumping as I found tunnel to be uniquely tiring.

Did AFF at 59, A licence at 60, am now 69 with +770 jumps.

When I did AFF and I was nervous when the door opened, I told myself that I would be on the ground in roughly 5 minutes. Helped to keep me calm - that along with a few Hail Mary's of course.

• Like 1

1 - Wendy's suggestion of yoga is a good one.
It builds both strength and flexibility. Both are needed. I know guys who claim they get more benefit from yoga than from moderate weight lifting.
Also, I would suggest working on your shoulders. Jumping takes its toll on them. From setting up in the door, to exits that go 'kaflooey' to 'combat RW', to rough landings to even packing. All of that can be tough on the shoulders. In the summer, when guys wear tank tops and girls wear sports bras, the number of folks with their shoulders taped up is rather sobering. 
I've had rotator cuff issues for a long time, and I do basic PT for that. It's made a big difference. 

2 - Basic visualization, breathing exercises, that sort of stuff.
Although I have to admit that the best 'mental prep' for me is looking out the open door during the climb. I look out and realize that I'll be playing out there in a few minutes.

3 - Brian Germain has a couple books that are well regarded. Transcending Fear is one, but it addresses your 2nd question more than any actual mechanics of jumping. The Parachute and its Pilot is another. One can learn freefall stuff safely and fairly easily (not cheaply) in the tunnel. But there's no substitute for actual canopy flight. A better understanding of that is a good idea.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Two books should be considered, both by Pat Works.

The Art of Freefall Relative Work (I think that is the title), and United We Fall.

The books are old, but the knowledge is timeless, and there is a good bit of old-time skydiving culture to get you into the history of stuff you could have been a part of had you started way back then.

• Like 3

1st jump at 52. 

Nationals medal at 57

Wingsuit world record at 70

3300 jumps now, at 75.

I found that general cardio/vascular fitness was all I ever needed, no special exercises.  Good eyesight helps too, not that there's much you can do about it.

• Like 3

Yoga, martial arts and swimming all help with general physical fitness.

As for mental preparation, your instructors will rehearse the dive with you several times on the ground. Then they will encourage you mentally review the dive plan two or three times during the airplane ride. All of these mental rehearsals should visualize the perfect skydive.

A few slow, deep breaths - just before the door opens - will help get your head in the game.

After landing, walk back, drink some water and mentally-review the dive that you just did before de-briefing with your instructor.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sundevil777 said:

Two books should be considered, both by Pat Works.

The Art of Freefall Relative Work (I think that is the title), and United We Fall.

The books are old, but the knowledge is timeless, and there is a good bit of old-time skydiving culture to get you into the history of stuff you could have been a part of had you started way back then.

I was going to say the exact same thing.

• Like 2

Coming back to skydiving after a 25-year break I noticed two big differences to when I jumped in my 20's.  Loss of upper body strength and ability to run.  I found the freefall was fine, just the undercarriage wasn't what it once was.

If you have spent the last 30 years sitting behind a desk then you might want to take up jogging with regular sprints.  You just need to do it until you can jump off a 2.5 foot high wall and land running.

The upper body strength comes in handy when things go wrong.  Sorting out twists and stuff.  I was surprised how quickly my arms got tired when I was working with my risers above my head.  Best motivation I have ever had to go to the gym regularly.

• Like 1

I started at 50. I read Brian Germain's "The parachutist and it's pilot" four or five times. The first time I read it, was before I ever jumped. I'm sure it helped me, but it also kept me from getting depressed while I couldn't jump (not because of injury, but because of weather, work, life, etc.)

Others already wrote pretty much most of the things I'd write. I know that "knowing how to fall", something I learned way back as a kid, when I learned Judo and never really forgot, helped me a lot. If you haven't learned that (Judo, gymnastics and parkour, seem to be some good ways to learn it), this would be my main suggestion.
Somehow, for me the first 100 jumps were really different in terms of my chance of getting hurt. Even though I continually got better at landings--looking back it feels like every one of those jumps had the potential of some landing injury. I never got seriously injured, but had minor hurts to my ankles and coccyx. I'd say: have some respect for landings and really learn to fly your parachute in those last 300 ft. Know how it reacts to every input and never stop flying it, even (and especially) when your feet (or whatever other body parts) are already on the ground.--I know you didn't ask about this, but I gathered that not getting hurt was one of the intentions for your questions.

Have an awesome time. Don't think anything is out of reach (as kallend obviously proves--respect, brother!)

• Like 1

(edited)

OMG, thank you, thank you, everyone who made an effort to respond to my questions. "Mbohu", you are correct. I did not ask the question but my main purpose was to make sure that I don't get hurt. I did not ask the question because I understand and respect, as in all things, that I have to pay my dues in learning the step by step process of becoming proficient at this sport. Also, I did not want to influence the responses so that I may receive information/guidance/assistance that I may not have thought about as a student of the craft. 

All of you have inspired me to continue while having fun. 2 days ago, I just passed my level 5 and going on my level 6 next week. I'm more confident now and I have taken on a different mind set after reading all of your responses in addition to enjoying my last 2 jumps even more. This is NOOB statement here, "I made my first landing on my feet on my level 4 jump". That was so exciting! 

Thank you for all the book recommendations. I'm sure they will be a fun read and of great value. 

Once I become a license skydiver, I hope that some day I meet all of you and fly together. =) 

Again, thank you everyone who posted because you made a difference in my journey to learning and participating in this sport / life style. 

Edited by Rio Santonil
  • Like 2

On 10/20/2020 at 3:40 AM, Rio Santonil said:

I'm 52 years old and started on this new journey. Currently, I'm taking AFF course out of Skydive Elsinore in Lake Elsinore, CA USA. I'm scheduled to take AFF Level 5 next week.

In my younger days, I have always been respectful, physical and mental in regards to my approach to any sports. I would like to apply the same principles to skydiving which will hopefully help avoid to jeopardize my progress. In short, I have a 3 part question.

1) What physical exercises or regimen do you do to develop strength, be limber and so on (arms, legs, stomach)? Any advice is appreciated. 

Right now, I am exercising every other day to develop my strength. Working in the corporate field for over 16 years did not help in maintaining my physical stamina. Through my first 4 levels, I'm finding that I'm not as limber as I should. In my assessment of myself, I need to work on body awareness. For my last 3 jumps, I made it a point to do 15 minutes of tunnel time the day before prior to my actual jump in order to be ready.  This is a snapshot of my capabilities and preparation I do for skydiving at the moment. 

Thanks everyone! 

As a 53 year old instructor who jumps regularly and consistently who is also in above average physical condition my first recommendation is stop doing 15 minutes of tunnel time the day prior to your skydive. 15 minutes in the tunnel if you are tight is only making you tighter the following day. Even experienced athletic young skydivers find this to be true unless they are tunnel rats. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 12:40 AM, Rio Santonil said:

Thanks everyone! 

Hot Yoga, if yoga at all. Ride a bike for cardio. Otherwise just lay on your belly with your insteps on the couch and press down and arch with your head up arms bent at 90 degrees while watching watching whatever raunch you desire. Ignore all books and DZ.com for advice (except mine). Listen to your instructors advice and follow it. After every jump think of the positive things first and the things you want to improve second. 

• Like 1