kallend

Trial of the Chicago Seven

15 hours ago, kallend said:

Watched it on Netflix tonight.

I thoroughly recommend it.  Acting is great, the narrative flows well.  Smoothly incorporates footage from the actual events of 1968.

Curious as to why Brits were chosen to play Abbie Hoffman and Tom Heyden.

Hi John,

I watched it Sat nite on NetFlix.  Agree, highly recommended.

And Mark Rylance, another Brit, played Bill Kunstler.

Why?  IMO because the best actors these days are the Brits.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  I had no idea that Judge Julius Hoffman was such a nut.  He would fit right in with the Trump administration; maybe even a choice by Trump for SCOTUS.

49 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi John,

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  I had no idea that Judge Julius Hoffman was such a nut.  He would fit right in with the Trump administration; maybe even a choice by Trump for SCOTUS.

The perils of lifetime appointments for federal judges!

In a survey among Chicago attorneys who had recently appeared before Hoffman,  78% had an unfavorable opinion of him. They responded overwhelmingly negatively to the questions "Does he display an impartial attitude?" and "is he courteous to both the prosecution and defense?"

In 1982, the Executive Committee of the US District Court ordered that Hoffman not be assigned any new cases because of his age and complaints that he was acting erratically and abusively from the bench.

(edited)

Judges should have to retire by age "X" or when they are suspected of senility, failing eye-sight or failing hearing. There are already a variety of tests to decide whether old folks are too senile to drive. Apply those same standards to judges.

Judges sitting on the Supreme Court of Canada face mandatory retirement at age 75.

P.S. When police suspected that my father was senile, the suspended his driver's license and required him to re-test. Since he never passed the drivers' test, he never regained his license. This was the first step in diagnosis of Altsheimer's Disease at age 84. He died at 89.

Edited by riggerrob

When my uncle was required to re-take the test, he was having a really good day. The trooper complimented his performance, saying "I wish all my senior applicants drove as well and responsibly as you do!" (his son's reaction was priceless)

He'd been bad enough for awhile to even scare my (legally blind) father...

Wendy P.

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi John,

Yes, but Rylance didn't graduate from Cambridge like Cohen and Redmayne. 

5 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi John,

Flipping the old school tie are we?

Jerry Baumchen

:-)

And Newton, Darwin, Crick, Cleese, Hawking, Robert Oppenheimer (yes), Kelvin, Hugh (House) Laurie, Otto (A-bomb) Frisch, Turing. . . . . . .