tred

at home rig rack

Go to your local music shop (eg Guitar Center) and look at keyboard stands. They even have nice rubber pads right where the shoulder of the rig is supported. One stand holds two rigs.

In a garage???
Oh, hell, no!:S

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

A garage isn't ideal. However, consider just how many years rigs were stored at DZs without air conditioning. It's better than nothing, as long as its ventilated enough just to be hot, and not enough to get hotter than the outside.

I used to live in an apartment without A/C in Houston. I kept my rig there.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Can i just ask, why is it the default thing to do, to hang up a rig?
I assume its to keep it aired in places with humidity and away from mice n things.
The area im in, there is no problem with humidity, at our DZ they have rig racks like the ones pictured in this thread but ive always prefered to lie my rig down flat (across two of the hanging posts) or sit it upright in a storage container (away from mice).
Here's why; When i hang up my Micron, there isnt much to complain about, but my older Talon FS looks like it suffers a lot of pressure on the stitching where the bottom of the laterals are attached to the main container.
I know some might think its under more stress when jumping but im not sure that's true, not at that point of the container, when the rig is being worn and the pressure is taken partly by the leg straps.
Anyway,im probably over-thinking on a tangent and there is some other obvious reason.
Just wondering.

Particularly at the DZ, a rig rack makes it easier to assign a place to each rig, and to vacuum or sweep the floor (which gets seriously nasty). At home, I'd have to say the reasons would be up to the owner. But I've never kept gear on a rack. My rig has over 1500 jumps on it probably, and looks and works just fine.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

A dark plastic tub is better for short term between uses storage in my opinion. I get them at home-depot, they have yellow tops.

Less exposure to light when not being used. More pet and critter safe. Plus it protects the rig from chemicals in the car and truck if you transport it that way.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

A dark plastic tub is better for short term between uses storage in my opinion. I get them at home-depot, they have yellow tops.

Less exposure to light when not being used. More pet and critter safe. Plus it protects the rig from chemicals in the car and truck if you transport it that way.

I've had several times in my life where my house floor got flooded due to a burst water pipe, or once, backed-up sewage. That was ugly. Really ugly. And you sure as hell don't want your rig getting soaked in that crap! Put it up on a shelf or something, at least a few inches off the floor.

Good point, these boxes are sealed on the bottom, no holes. I keep them up on wire shelving. I wouldn't leave them sitting on the floor of my basement, you really shouldn't keep anything you value just sitting on the floor in your basement!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Only reason I'd use a rack is to display prized rigs, like my 1928 Irvin B-1 emergency rig.

You regular gear? Though it in a gear bag in the closet, or the bin quoted above. No rack necessary.

How many times can we say rack with out a boobie option?:)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

JerryBaumchen

Hi Terry,

How many times can we say rack with out a boobie option?

Well, since you asked.

Jerry Baumchen

Winner!:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

This is what I've come up with. I've developed a high quality multi use product that looks as good at home as it does at the DZ. Please take a look at my website and pass this on to anyone who is interested!

Thanks

www.parastands.com