1 1
Krista0140

Canopy controllability and wing loading

Question

I am brand new to the sport, I have five tandems and just started my stp today, though I didn't get to do my first jump because of weather. During the class today we were being shown a parachute and the instructor mentioned that he was grabbing the smallest canopy they have since we were going to pull it out to look at it. Someone asked about canopy sizes and he said that the small canopy we were looking at would probably be what I would jump with (I'm a 135ish lb), however, the men in my class would be jumping with larger canopies. I've heard that smaller canopies are more sensitive to toggle input and harder to fly. my question is, is it the canopy size that results in the sensitivity or the wing loading? Will my parachute be as easy to pilot as the men with the larger canopies? I meant to ask at the end of the class and completely forgot. 

Also, if I worded anything incorrect please let me know. Thank you :)

6 answers to this question

This is a really great question; take the answers you read here, put together a picture for yourself, and then use that to talk to your instructor when you get back to the DZ. You might find that you misunderstood something said here because of lack of context, but having an idea before you ask the questions in person means you can get further into the topic before the information starts to fill you up and run out your ears.

The biggest difference between a smaller canopy and a larger one of the same kind is that it has shorter lines; that means that you are likely to feel it as more responsive than a larger canopy will feel -- for the same turn, you'll tip farther out, etc. What you gain is greater penetration in (relatively) higher winds. I'm not talking 25mph, just the higher end of winds you're likely to encounter. Penetration means that you're less likely to be landing going backwards.

Harder or easier to fly is very relative, and I'd figure your instructors will start you out with an appropriate wingloading. It's much better to make mistakes with a slightly-too-large canopy than a slightly-too-small one; much more room for error. The issue with going to too large is that you're less likely to land close in higher winds, because it takes more skill to hit the right spot with a canopy that's significantly slower (as an oversized one would be).

There's an article in the dz.com articles that, while it isn't what you're doing right now, will help to give you some information about canopies and the language around them:

Good luck, and enjoy when the time comes!

Wendy P.

• Like 1

(edited)

As a student you will/should jump a canopy that is designed for a student, in a student rig. The canopy, when open, will/should be benign when you are under it. The size difference will/should be relative and it shouldn't pose you any undue handling problems. It would be interesting to hear what the difference in size (between your canopy and the men's canopies) is in sq'. Question your instructor. From my experience as a previous student, I'm not an instructor, they like questions but don't try to be a smartass - they don't like them! I also don't think that wingloading in a student/hired canopy is something that you need to be too concerned about at this stage in your progression, although as you progress further it has considerable relevance. Some instructors might even consider student questions about wingloading as bordering on smartass. 

Edited by Bokdrol

10 hours ago, Bokdrol said:

As a student you will/should jump a canopy that is designed for a student, in a student rig. The canopy, when open, will/should be benign when you are under it. The size difference will/should be relative and it shouldn't pose you any undue handling problems. It would be interesting to hear what the difference in size (between your canopy and the men's canopies) is in sq'. Question your instructor. From my experience as a previous student, I'm not an instructor, they like questions but don't try to be a smartass - they don't like them! I also don't think that wingloading in a student/hired canopy is something that you need to be too concerned about at this stage in your progression, although as you progress further it has considerable relevance. Some instructors might even consider student questions about wingloading as bordering on smartass. 

I can't remember what the canopy size was. I'm definitely not trying to be a smart ass at all, I'm just quite nervous about getting the parachute back to the drop zone and landing it. I've probably overcomplicated things in my mind!

Dear bokdrol,

The only dumb-ass question is the one you don't know the answer to as you hurtle towards the planet.

As long as students' question are closely related to the first jump course, I try to give them a simple, honest and respectful answer.

Dear Krista0140,

Welcome to the sky.

First trust that your local instructors will loan you a parachute that is appropriate for your weight.

For example, I primarily dress male first (solo) jump students with main parachutes in the 270 to 300 square foot range. If they weight more than 220 pounds (100 kilograms) I try to find them an even larger parachute.

OTOH My school had some 230 and 190 square foot parachutes for rent. When small students ... near your weight ... took the first jump course, I tried to fit them with a 230 square foot parachute. This gave all the students a wing-loading of around 0.7 pounds per square foot. Remember that suspended weight includes your weight, plus your harness, plus your helmet, plus your shoe-laces, etc.

Once a smaller student had a few good landings (without radio) we transitioned them to 190 square foot parachutes.

You will notice that woman skydivers tend to down-size much slower than their testosterone-inflamed male colleagues. This is partly because women tend to mature younger and they feel less need to show-off along the "bleeding edge."

By the time you step down to a 150 square foot canopy, they all have short suspension lines and turn quicker than many junior jumpers need.

Be cautious about down-sizing too quickly because it is far better to be bored under canopy than bored in a hospital bed. Not everyone feels the need to down-size. If you plan to compete in precision landing or BASE jumping, down-sizing to a wing-loading of heavier than 0.7 pounds per square foot is totally irrelevant.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Krista0140 said:

I can't remember what the canopy size was. I'm definitely not trying to be a smart ass at all, I'm just quite nervous about getting the parachute back to the drop zone and landing it. I've probably overcomplicated things in my mind!

Sorry - wasn’t pointing the finger or intimating that you might be a smartass for having an enquiring mind. It was really just meant as my take on advice. Nothing more than that.

There are far more experienced people on this forum who can offer you better advice I’m sure. E.g. RiggerRob seems to have covered it perfectly in his reply. Whatever, I wish you well and many years of happy and safe skydiving - all the best

Edited by Bokdrol
  • Like 1