TimeToFly4lyfe

Breathing In Skydiving

So i signed up for the aff 1 class did all the test and when we went to the wind tunnel i had trouble breathing both time. We didn't jump that day due to high winds. Any advice. i think i was trying to breath too much through my mouth maybe. It is easier to keep mouth closed and breath through nose.

TimeToFly4lyfe

So i signed up for the aff 1 class did all the test and when we went to the wind tunnel i had trouble breathing both time. We didn't jump that day due to high winds. Any advice. i think i was trying to breath too much through my mouth maybe. It is easier to keep mouth closed and breath through nose.

If you open your mouth in FF all the air gets sucked out of your lungs.

Then you die.....

You really have 3 options:

1.Blow all the air out of your lungs before you jump.

2.Hold your breath for the whole jump until you land (thats about 4 - 5 minutes and requires special training).

3. Breathe normally.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Seriously, if your mouth hangs open, it will scoop too much air.
In freefall, it is easier to breath through your nostrils.

Consciously controlling your breathing helps control fear because the average human can focus on breathing of fear, but not both at the same time. Breathing out helps you relax. Relaxed skydivers fall smoother, see more, etc.

For example, some Canadian schools teach freefall students to breath consciously during exit. Conscious, mindful breathing also helps Accompanied Freefall Instructors time their exits. Students start by lining up in the door. They gaze lovingly at the propeller. As they breath out, they swing out. As they breath in, they swing in. As they breath out they swing out of the airplane. Swings do not need to be huge, as long as other team-members /instructors can clearly see the breathing cycle. Breathing also helps regulate a medium-speed place for the exit count. Finally conscious breathing does not require learning a fancy new set of words/lip movements.

Similarly, on final approach (to landing) I often hear myself mumbling through a checklist that includes breathing through my nostrils.

I don't think any experienced jumper even thinks about breathing. I don't. If there is a problem I think it is anxiety related, which doesn't make it not real, it just means the solution is to convince yourself that there isn't a problem. At worst, that comes with a few more jumps.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Reminds me of a demo jump.
I. had about 300 jumps when we landed at a local baseball diamond. The baseball diamond was only a mile - or so - from the DZ. As I walked off the diamond, a local boy asked me: "How do you breath in freefall?"
I responded: "Sometimes through my mouth, but usually through my nose."
Hah!
Hah!
I had never thought about his question until I had 300 jumps!
Hah!
Hah!

OTOH When I get nervous or am performing a difficult task for the first time, I have a bad habit of holding my breath which increases stress and decreases oxygen flow to my brain.

Skin O2 osmosis is the main reason students aren't given full face helmets. Because we can't breathe in freefall, it takes time for the body to get used to getting most of its oxygen from osmosis transfer through the skin. And since the first few jumps are more stressful on the system, more surface area of skin to open air helps improve the transfer.

If you have problems breathing after the 1st jump, ask your instructor if you can wear shorts.
Remster

TimeToFly4lyfe

Use the super secret trick the experienced jumpers use. What we do is inhale and then....exhale.

Relax. You can breath in freefall. Think less, fly more.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Yes. Keep it to yourself though as we don't want whuffo's to learn that we don't simply use our sky gills to trap oxygen out of the air.

Double super secret tip: If you scream CATS! at the ground as long as you can and as loud as you can you will take a massive breath at the end of the jump.

This is due to the cat human skybond created by Leonardo Davinci in the late 15th century. Try it.

You're welcome.

Trafficdiver

Yes. Keep it to yourself though as we don't want whuffo's to learn that we don't simply use our sky gills to trap oxygen out of the air.

Double super secret tip: If you scream CATS! at the ground as long as you can and as loud as you can you will take a massive breath at the end of the jump.

This is due to the cat human skybond created by Leonardo Davinci in the late 15th century. Try it.

You're welcome.

I don't have any trouble breathing, but I wil try it this weekend! Hell, maybe I'll get our whole group at the same time if I'm lucky!!!
No farting on the plane!

Thanks for the reply's everyone when i stepped on the platform right next to the door at 12500 feet breathing was the last thing on my mind and had no trouble when i was doing my aff level 1 was too busy focusing on my alt and doing all the requirements for the level. and i looked at my video my mouth was open the majority of the time.

You plug your ear buds in and the app says breath in breath out in a very soothing and rytic voice...it comes in either male or female voice and the bonus feature is you can choose different accents if you so desire!
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward