David Wang

got injured on jump #24

Hi all,

hope everything is going well. Right now I know that I am a true addict (according to my instructor) - had an accident on jump 24 and was rushed to the hospital and had a surgery but the only thing I have been thinking since the accident is when I can jump again, or if I am allowed to jump again according to USPA guidelines. (Pretty funny when I was moved in the ambulance in the field the only question I asked was 'where is my altimeter' :`D  I just bought a Viso ii that day and didn't want to lose it lol)

I had a spinal fusion surgery on my hip / Sacral area (my whole spine was disconnected from the hip, and I was lucky enough not to be paralyzed) the Surgeon put 4 screws and 2 rods on it and a full recovery is expected. Right now I'm already walking without help. I'm also thinking about removing all hardware when bones heal. Do DZs allow jumping with spinal fusion? Another injury is right shoulder anterior dislocation. I have read some posts on this website and understand that this is a dangerous one. Is surgery recommended at this point? This was my first time dislocating my shoulder. I will do tons of rehab to seriously build some muscles.  I will also talk to my doctor. I understand that Back and shoulder problems are dangerous for skydivers. However, I know that a lot of people have overcome injuries like shoulder and back problems and return to the sky successfully. One good thing is that age is on my side. I just turned 19 this year so my recovery is fast and I have a lot of time to heal and exercise. 

A lot of people have been telling me to quit but my logic is this: I can't just give up something I love so much because I get hurt from it. Somehow, life decided that it was not my time that day. I treat this accident as an obstacle on my way to A. IF IT IS POSSIBLE FOR ME TO JUMP, I have decided that I will do whatever it takes to return to the sky safely. 

Thank you for listening! Blue Skies. 

(edited)

Good luck with your recovery. And let me be the first to say that this is a poor place to seek medical advice. Let me also be the first to say that although the gory details of your injury and surgery are interesting, what we really want to hear about are the details of how the hell you did that to yourself.

And....what did your mom have to say......

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, David Wang said:

Hi all,

hope everything is going well. Right now I know that I am a true addict (according to my instructor) - had an accident on jump 24 and was rushed to the hospital and had a surgery but the only thing I have been thinking since the accident is when I can jump again, or if I am allowed to jump again according to USPA guidelines. (Pretty funny when I was moved in the ambulance in the field the only question I asked was 'where is my altimeter' :`D  I just bought a Viso ii that day and didn't want to lose it lol)

I had a spinal fusion surgery on my hip / Sacral area (my whole spine was disconnected from the hip, and I was lucky enough not to be paralyzed) the Surgeon put 4 screws and 2 rods on it and a full recovery is expected. Right now I'm already walking without help. I'm also thinking about removing all hardware when bones heal. Do DZs allow jumping with spinal fusion? Another injury is right shoulder anterior dislocation. I have read some posts on this website and understand that this is a dangerous one. Is surgery recommended at this point? This was my first time dislocating my shoulder. I will do tons of rehab to seriously build some muscles.  I will also talk to my doctor. I understand that Back and shoulder problems are dangerous for skydivers. However, I know that a lot of people have overcome injuries like shoulder and back problems and return to the sky successfully. One good thing is that age is on my side. I just turned 19 this year so my recovery is fast and I have a lot of time to heal and exercise. 

A lot of people have been telling me to quit but my logic is this: I can't just give up something I love so much because I get hurt from it. Somehow, life decided that it was not my time that day. I treat this accident as an obstacle on my way to A. IF IT IS POSSIBLE FOR ME TO JUMP, I have decided that I will do whatever it takes to return to the sky safely. 

Thank you for listening! Blue Skies. 

You cant leave us hanging like this you tease.... what caused the injury on your jump ??

Glad you are ok and not paralysed, as you said age is on your side and you will heal up quick... speedy recovery dude.

• Like 2

The only people qualified to tell you if you CAN jump again are your doctors. 

The only person who can decide if you WANT TO jump again is you.

The question of SHOULD YOU jump again is thornier - it eventually comes down to you, but to jump after a life threatening injury without talking it over with your family and explaining your feelings would be a dick move. They're they're supporting you during your recovery, I'm sure. Give them the respect they deserve for that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yoink said:

The only people qualified to tell you if you CAN jump again are your doctors. 

The only person who can decide if you WANT TO jump again is you.

The question of SHOULD YOU jump again is thornier - it eventually comes down to you, but to jump after a life threatening injury without talking it over with your family and explaining your feelings would be a dick move. They're they're supporting you during your recovery, I'm sure. Give them the respect they deserve for that.

What you are saying makes sense to me. Thank you. 

6 hours ago, David Wang said:

What you are saying makes sense to me. Thank you. 

Most jumpers go through this - the conversation, not the surgery. ;)

A lot of people see what we do as stupid; Reckless; Pointless, and any other number of things. You have to be able to explain why something that those people will probably never experience is important to you.

You also have to be prepared to listen.

PERSONALLY, the risk outweighed the benefit when I had a family. That’s my decision. But it shows how the evaluation is a continual one - not just something you decide forever.

And remember, there’s no rush. It’s pretty tough to guarantee stuff in these times but one thing is for certain - the sky isn’t going anywhere. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yoink said:

Most jumpers go through this - the conversation, not the surgery. ;)

A lot of people see what we do as stupid; Reckless; Pointless, and any other number of things. You have to be able to explain why something that those people will probably never experience is important to you.

You also have to be prepared to listen.

PERSONALLY, the risk outweighed the benefit when I had a family. That’s my decision. But it shows how the evaluation is a continual one - not just something you decide forever.

And remember, there’s no rush. It’s pretty tough to guarantee stuff in these times but one thing is for certain - the sky isn’t going anywhere. :)

Thank you!! These are all very good points. 

I'm sure I will have a pretty serious conversation about skydiving with my family very soon and I need to be prepared. And you are right there is no rush - the sky is always there! 

Hint: if you quit smoking. your bones will heal quicker.

The problem is that carbon monoxide (found in smoke) kills the tiny capillary blood vessels that supply nutrients to all of your cells. The fewer your capillaries, the slower you heal.

One of the scariest things I ever heard was a surgeon wandering around the room mumbling "You are 53 years old but you do not smoke ... you are 53 years old but you do not smoke ...." Fortunately he decided to operate on my knee bone and it has not dislocated since.

How and why your accident/injury occured is extremely relevant as to whether or not you "should" jump again.

whether you choose to share it here, or with others, or not at all, it should be a major consideration as to your future.

Edited by skydivecat
text format