si_jsy

Meat bombing

Hey guys and gals, looking for some advice... I am 110 kgs Euro, 242 lbs US style, 17 1/2 stone UK. I fall like amotherf*cker, ouot sink all formations, even tandems with drogues and no matter what i try i cannot slow my fall rate.. tried big suit, but cant seem to find the mega baggy jobbies from the 80s anymore, every jump i'm just fighting gravity and losing... any help please! losing weight ain't an option as enjoy beer too much!! :) cheers!

I am 6'5 and 300 lbs and had some of the issue you have. a big baggy jump suit will help. but i found the most effective is a camera jacket with wings. i can clip the wings to the leg straps or to the hip rings and that gives me plenty range for the fall rate. i can do AFF with small light people and film any tandem's.
of course i will always take the heaviest tandem pair or AFF student i can find to make it easier.
how many jumps do you have? have you gotten proper coaching how to fall slow???

good advice, cheers paddy.. yeah done over 800 jumps and shit load of tunnel time, just have trouble fighting physics! any good cam suit wing combo recommendations? just need to be mindful of chucking my drigue through the gap!! :)

A friend of mine that has a few more kgs than you uses a Suit by http://www.rainbowsuits.com/ i believe it had coords buit into it from the wrist to the hips. If he would pull on those his baggy freefly suit would be more like a camera suit. That always worked very well for him, it was much more fun however to freefly with him on his belly. :-)
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

I always buy Tony Suits and that is where i got my wings Jacket from also.my wings start at my elbow and has a cord attached so i can tighten up the wing if i need to to get more drag.
I NEVER wear the Wings Jacket on my Tandems, i just have a very big baggy Top.
you could get a bigger wing that goes from the Wrist all the way down to your hip but i feel that is restricting me when i have to do AFF. i have attached a couple pics of my set up and as you can see it works very well for my fat 300 lbs Arse ;):P:P:P
My wings do not go all the way down to my hips either and i have some RSL Shackles that i can attach to my hip rings or around the leg straps if i need to go really slow. after i open i reach down and release the schackles so i can reach the slider to collapse it.
I have that Jacket now for almost 10 years and works for me brilliantly. i got Tony to put on extra material form the elbows to the wrist, see pic attached.
you got to dress for success ;););) and this works for me. takes a bit of getting used to at the start but in no time you can fall as slow as you need to.

I was on a 4-way team that had a guy more than 60 pounds (27 kg) heavier. He was also a tandem Instructor. I was about your weight. Yes, he wore a baggy jumpsuit, but you need to think more broadly. Are there some jumping situations where your size is an advantage? Yes. We did a lot of fun hybrid stuff over the years.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

>every jump i'm just fighting gravity and losing... any help please!

Some tricks:

Swoop cords. You can build these yourself or get them installed in a suit. They work best with a suit that is designed for that use. Safer than camera wings and you can retract them when needed.

Webbed gloves. These work well with booties - webbed gloves force you to get your booties out, which have a lot more drag than the gloves themselves.

Strategic grommets. Grommets near the front of your armpits will tend to inflate the suit. (Note that this doesn't work on your belly or any other place where the fabric is smashed flat against you.)

Build your own. The larger the suit is the less important good fit/design is. You can disassemble an old suit, add a few inches to the sides of the front panels and put it back together, or make your own from patterns. High drag materials (cordura, even corduroy) can help.

Ok, I need something to slow me down. I tried everything and my taslan free fly suit just flies trough the air like a rocket. The problem was I needed something to get off the student ones but had no idea how fast I was going. Now when doing any fun belly group jumps I can't slow down and I'm gettin tired of being the base. Also manufacturer made my suit way tighter than what I expected so they fucked up on that part.

What are my options? Camera wings sound good but I do not know if I feel comfortable wearing one with my low jump numbers.Are there any restrictions regarding them? What would be the cheapest option to give me some range? I want to be a videographer and photographer in the future of this sport.

I'm probably going around 130mph if I don't stretch like a frog across the sky. Also, I don't know if this is relevant but sometimes my Vigil II blinked 140mph and above when I got back to the ground. What does this mean?

billvon

>every jump i'm just fighting gravity and losing... any help please!

Some tricks:
:
Webbed gloves. These work well with booties - webbed gloves force you to get your booties out, which have a lot more drag than the gloves themselves.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/speedo-aquatic-fitness-gloves-2032/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google-shopping&color=10770&size=9323&gclid=CNe31OqIltQCFYF-fgodSq0K_g

Would these work? They are for swimming, so might become dual use gloves.

Any considerations at pull time, or for EPs with them?

AlanS

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/speedo-aquatic-fitness-gloves-2032/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google-shopping&color=10770&size=9323&gclid=CNe31OqIltQCFYF-fgodSq0K_g

Would these work? They are for swimming, so might become dual use gloves.

Any considerations at pull time, or for EPs with them?

I don't recommend reducing your hand dexterity. Bad idea! You need your fingers to work with things. Especially in emergencies. You won't have time to take your gloves off first.

Furthermore, these webbed gloves are often made out of a slick fabric, that makes it hard to grip strongly on a cut-away handle without slipping off when you pull.

I know, I had it happen to me. I threw the webbed gloves away after that.