JoeWeber

Apolitical Amy Coney-Barrett

“We’re talking about justice Scalia, the staunchest conservative on the court”, Ms Barrett said in the interview. We’re talking about him being replaced by someone who could dramatically flip the balance of power on the court,” she continued. “It’s not a lateral move.”

Amy Coney-Barrett on why Merrick Garlands nomination a bad idea.

Please, no more pretense that she'll be fair and follow precedent. Please, no more court packing hypocrisy from the right. 

All the talk about judges "having no agenda" and just "calling balls and strikes" is just so much crap.  Every case that is accepted by the Supreme Court comes up because lower courts are unable to agree, so the issue must be more complicated than "a plain reading of the statute".  Appeals court judges are quite able to read.  Nominees to the Supreme Court cannot, of course, promise in advance how they would rule on specific cases such as the ACA or Roe v Wade.  However they are nominated because their judicial history makes it clear that they are highly likely to vote a certain way.  Judge Barrett has a track record that makes it almost unthinkable that she would vote to uphold Roe v Wade, to do so she would have to repudiate her entire judicial philosophy.  She does not have to promise Republicans that she will vote that way, so she can maintain a veneer of "judicial impartiality" while still being a vote they can take to the bank.

23 minutes ago, airdvr said:

It's not hard to find goat-fuck-stupid folks from both sides.

Nope. But hard-core conservatives are far more likely to downplay education, intelligence, and actual knowledge in favor of “street smarts” and “rough.”

Who is more likely to think college is a waste of time? College isn’t the be-all and end-all, but as a place to learn more than the minimum needed for ones next job it’s hard to beat. And I’d much rather have a population that has more than the bare minimum knowledge — they’re generally harder to manipulate. Not impossible, but harder  

Wendy P. 

31 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Did you figure out yet that Supreme Court Justices in the US are not addressed as Your Honor?

To be fair, he already fessed up to that mistake which is great to see and very welcome, thank you Airdvr.

..... I am still kinda wondering if he knows she's already a Judge though:p

48 minutes ago, jakee said:

To be fair, he already fessed up to that mistake which is great to see and very welcome, thank you Airdvr.

..... I am still kinda wondering if he knows she's already a Judge though:p

Absolution from jakee plus 7 bucks will get you a beer in any bar in town. Congratulations airdvr.

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Absolution from jakee plus 7 bucks will get you a beer in any bar in town. Congratulations airdvr.

But it appears that one indiscretion in Joe's eyes and that's that. It's Joe's way or the highway and don't you forget it!

I mean, you realise that's the point you're making now, don't you? Wait, no? Ok. Wow.:rofl:

2 minutes ago, jakee said:

But it appears that one indiscretion in Joe's eyes and that's that. It's Joe's way or the highway and don't you forget it!

I mean, you realise that's the point you're making now, don't you? Wait, no? Ok. Wow.:rofl:

C'mon Turtle, you know better than that. 

(edited)

Keep on pissing guys. I still can't tell who has the biggest dick or the longest stream.

PS, Joe, it is not possible to have the last word with some people. Remember, the best part of valour is discretion.

Edited by gowlerk

3 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Keep on pissing guys. I still can't tell who has the biggest dick or the longest stream.

PS, Joe, it is not possible to have the last word with some people. Remember, the best part of valour is discretion.

As usual Ken, your counsel is wise. It's just so damn odd to find a Brit without a sense of humor.

9 hours ago, gowlerk said:

PS, Joe, it is not possible to have the last word with some people.

Since he's just chased me round three different threads to bitch about the same single thing I think we both know that person is Joe;)