David Wang

Do DZs allow jumping with spinal fusion?

Hello,

I wonder if I am still allowed to jump if I have spinal fusion on my lower back. I don't know if I still meet the physical requirements. A full recovery is expected. 4 screws and 2 rods in hipbone/sacral area and I'm seriously thinking about removing all hardware when bones heal. 

Thanks and blue skies. 

I had an L4 - S1 fusion in early 2001. Got back in the air mid-2002. No further issues.  It's very possible., but, standard internet disclosure,  I'm not a doctor.  Your doctor would be the one to ask regarding whether or not it is a good idea for you.  

On 10/23/2020 at 5:05 AM, skybytch said:

I had an L4 - S1 fusion in early 2001. Got back in the air mid-2002. No further issues.  It's very possible., but, standard internet disclosure,  I'm not a doctor.  Your doctor would be the one to ask regarding whether or not it is a good idea for you.  

Thanks. I had an L5-S1 fusion I think 

Sorry about this post.....I just talked to my surgen for the first time who actually did my surgery and found out that I actually did not have a fusion........ these screws and rods are only to stablize my spine while bone heals on its own. I will take the hardware out in May next year. Guess this is great news! 

• Like 1