Gators1240

Small differences in wing loading between navigator and Sabre 2

I’m currently renting gear and have been jumping a 240 navigator loaded at 0.91. I want to make the switch off of a navigator to something a little more sporty so I can start getting used to the difference before I pull the trigger on my first rig. I don’t particularly have any interest in downsizing a ton, but where I’m currently jumping (Sebastian) the only options for rental gear that’s not a navigator is a 210 Sabre 2 which would put me at a 1.04 WL. 

They do have 220 navigators which would put me at a 1.0 WL, but the navigators just feel so slow to respond that it makes me more nervous than the thought of going a little smaller for a different type of wing. I’m thinking of it kind of like riding a motorcycle, I would rather have the speed and responsiveness when I need it and be cautious, than to need it and not have it but I’ve read a ton about incidents of people downsizing too fast and hurting themselves.  

Is the difference in wing loading at that level a big difference, or am I just overthinking this too much?

The difference is there, but it's not all that big. 
Overall, you're overthinking it some. But that's not entirely a bad thing. As you have noted, a mistake in this area can have serious consequences.

Planform difference will likely be as much as the W/L difference.

The 'responsiveness' still won't really be there. But that's actually a good thing.

If you need more maneuverability to avoid, say, a canopy collision, then there were bigger mistakes that should have been avoided.
OTOH, that 'maneuverability' can work against you, as in accidentally flying yourself into the ground doing some sort of avoidance move or simply reaching for the ground if you get hit by a gust at the wrong time ('unlearning' that response takes a while). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The difference is there, but it's not all that big. 
Overall, you're overthinking it some. But that's not entirely a bad thing. As you have noted, a mistake in this area can have serious consequences.

Planform difference will likely be as much as the W/L difference.

The 'responsiveness' still won't really be there. But that's actually a good thing.

If you need more maneuverability to avoid, say, a canopy collision, then there were bigger mistakes that should have been avoided.
OTOH, that 'maneuverability' can work against you, as in accidentally flying yourself into the ground doing some sort of avoidance move or simply reaching for the ground if you get hit by a gust at the wrong time ('unlearning' that response takes a while). 

The first time I switched from a navigator to a Sabre 2 felt like a gigantic difference, especially in the flare, but I was also at a lower WL (gained about 10 pounds since then) and I imagine the switch now would feel similar, if not a little more aggressive which is the big thing I’m worried about. 

The first jump on a non-navigator last time made me actually say, “holy shit” when I did my canopy control checks after opening (but in a good way) and the flare on it felt really powerful at 1/2 to 3/4 instead of having to push down as much as I possibly could with the navigator before really feeling it. 

I only got about 20 jumps on the Sabre 2 before I stepped away, but it feels like that was enough to build up a little muscle memory with the flare timing. The first jump back on a navigator really surprised me and I ended up sliding in because even at a full flare (probably timed it a bit late) it just felt like it didn’t do anywhere near as much as I remembered. 

(edited)

That Sabre2 210 will be more ground hungry to what you are used to on navigator. Your last few seconds before touching down may be a little scary. Don't let the emotions control you and stick to the plan.

Not sure how you flare now but I'll just tell you that Sabres are known for their powerful flares. What that means is if you are flying full speed and flare all the way down, canopy will lift you up. What you DON'T want to do is flare too high and use all flare power. Because then you are still too high with no flare left which means more rough landing. 

Obviously talk to your instructors first!

Obviously, prepare for PLF, knees and feet together!

Obviously, during landing, don't lift your hands up! If you messed up, flared too early or whatever, hold your hands where they are, DON'T LIFT YOUR HANDS UP. That will only make things worse. 

Now, I would recommend that if and when you jump that Sabre2 210 when you feel like flaring, flare quickly but only 40-50%, that would put your hands somewhere around ears/neck/shoulders level. You hold your hands there and hold and hold. Canopy should plane out, it should be now going forward, not much down. Now, right before touching down, you take your hands all the way down and finish the flare.

What's the benefit? If you flare too high which is likely, you will still have good amount of flare left to use when you need it.

When you become more proficient in flying Sabres2, you will be able to flare while crouching or even sliding on the butt and then that last pull will stand you up. That's how powerful the flares can be. 

Also, check this

You can see the *lift up* moment here for example:

And this guy in orange helmet does really nice job flaring, you can see how he is cruising for couple of seconds after hitting the first stage (plane out):

Edited by CoolBeans

15 hours ago, CoolBeans said:

Now, I would recommend that if and when you jump that Sabre2 210 when you feel like flaring, flare quickly but only 40-50%, that would put your hands somewhere around ears/neck/shoulders level. You hold your hands there and hold and hold. Canopy should plane out, it should be now going forward, not much down. Now, right before touching down, you take your hands all the way down and finish the flare.

This is what I was referring to. I was for some reason expecting this type of behavior with the navigator because I had gotten used to doing with with the Sabre 2 previously. 

Thanks for the videos, they definitely help!