1 1
MarSD6

XRW Mr. Bill with jumper who has <100 jumps

What do you mean 'XRW Mr Bill'?

My understanding of XRW is flying a high performance canopy in formation (or linked) with a wingsuit.

A Mr Bill is when two jumpers go out linked, and one (Sluggo) pulls right out the door. The 2nd (Mr Bill) then hangs on and eventually falls from the guy flying the canopy (supposed to scream 'Ohhhhh Noooooooooooo' as he falls away).

Presuming they are using a canopy big enough that it doesn't get super fast, and grips taken aren't in bad places, and they don't take a delay out the door...

It's 'safeish'. 

Good way to break a finger or two, scuff the hell out of your hands, maybe a few other things. 
But it probably won't kill them. 

He should probably have more jumps than that, but if he's been talked to and is still doing it (and the DZ he's doing it at knows and is ok with it)...

He won't stop. 
He may learn. 
He may learn the hard way.

On 10/10/2020 at 3:01 AM, MarSD6 said:

Thoughts on a new jumper who has been spoken to previously continues to do XRW Mr. Bill jumps at another DZ? Jumper has maybe 60-70 jumps at most.

My thoughts are simple. It takes two participants to do either of those jumps. One of them is experienced and should know better. That is the jumper who needs to be smartened up. I am guessing that the "new jumper" is a cute young woman.

On 10/10/2020 at 10:01 AM, MarSD6 said:

Thoughts on a new jumper who has been spoken to previously continues to do XRW Mr. Bill jumps at another DZ? Jumper has maybe 60-70 jumps at most.

Can you please define what XRW Mr Bill is ? Can't really visualise what you mean.

Is that your definition of a wingsuit rodeo ? 

3 hours ago, piisfish said:

Can you please define what XRW Mr Bill is ? Can't really visualise what you mean.

Is that your definition of a wingsuit rodeo ? 

Sorry everyone for the confusion, should've restated what I meant. I'm expressing my concern for this new jumper because she shouldn't be doing this type of jump... instructors have talked to her but she doesn't seem to get it. Two ultra high performance canopies are doing a 2-way stack, and this new jumper is doing a Mr. Bill, with multiple wingsuiters flying around. In one instance they dropped her to land on top of one of the wingsuiters.

Wanted to see how to approach something like this with the jumper but after talking to an S&TA, there's only so much one can do when it's at another DZ.

Definitely XRW Mr Bill, thanks for the clarification. 

she has no business in this kind of jump indeed (in my opinion), but some guys are trying to get into her panties. Anything you will say to prevent this will make you sound jealous, either of her, of them or both. ]:) :crylaughcat:

Oh my. That's...

Really fucking stupid.

Given the skills it takes to actually pull of XRW, for those guys to be taking a new jumper on one in this way is really stupid.

I can get the idea that she doesn't know any better (doesn't know what she doesn't know), but they certainly should. 

I'll guess they're trying to justify it by saying crap like 'we know what we're doing', and 'we are making sure she's not doing anything she's not capable of'.

But, yeah, they're just trying to get laid.

And, as the S&T A you talked to pointed out, there's not much you can do if the DZO where they are doing it is not stopping it.

While both of these (wingsuit rodeo, and Mr Bill) shouldn't really be attempted by someone with low jump numbers, both are essentially an exercise in holding on for one of the participants, so I wouldn't say that either of those are super dangerous, providing that the other participant (canopy/wingsuit pilot) is sufficiently skilled and has sufficiently briefed the less skilled person.  

(edited)

Meh, I don’t see anything in the SIM against a B License jumper doing a Mr. Bill and then using said B License jumper as a paper weight or dropping them off on the back of a wingsuit. It seems as safe as a regular Mr. Bill and safer than doing CRW with a B-License holder - which is typically seen as perfectly acceptable. Have to admit, that video is pretty bad ass.

Edited by BMAC615
  • Like 2

(edited)

Looks like great fun. As far as I can tell, the Mr Bill passenger needs next to no skills so I can’t see any more issues with a B license jumper doing it vs. someone more experienced, but then I did once freefall a 121ft bridge in Wales so I wouldn’t take my judgement and run with it :)

Edited by base615
  • Like 1