1 1
Gideon Yampolsky

Materials and tools for wingsuit modification

I need to do several significant modifications on ATC wingsuit. Since it is going to be continuous research process, I decided to obtain all necessary materials and skills to do it myself.

Thereby several questions:
Main surface material (like 210D Ripstop) – what are my options and where to buy ?
What thread (size, type) should I use, where to buy ?
Needles for sewing machine – type, size ?  Are ball-point needles preferable ?
Sewing machine – for start I intend to use household Bernina machine. Does it makes sense ?  If not, what do you recommend ?

Edited by Gideon Yampolsky

what do you want to modify ? My guess is that a household machine will not be sufficient. Maybe get in touch with your local riggers / master riggers, they would probably have the materials and machines you would need, plus they know hot to use the machines / help you with them. And they might also have ideas on how to make the modifications in a way that they are less likely to kill you.

(edited)

I need to make openings for engine mounts. You can see some details here –

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=2906758286118203&set=a.678091862318201

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=2697855983675102&set=pcb.2697856870341680

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=3098818256912204&set=pcb.3098833303577366

I will ask advice from our riggers, but cannot ask them to do the job. They don’t have materials and experience to modify wingsuits.

Edited by Gideon Yampolsky
  • Like 1

(edited)

Maybe they can let you access to their machines. I would recommend at least some nomex. 

do you really believe that people with experience working on canopies and containers wouldn’t have a clue on how to modify a wingsuit?

One name comes to mind, but I never met him (trusting you are in Israël) Shlomo Pearl 

Edited by piisfish

Maybe they can let you access to their machines. I would recommend at least some nomex. 

do you really believe that people with experience working on canopies and containers wouldn’t have a clue on how to modify a wingsuit?

One name comes to mind, but I never met him (trusting you are in Israël) Shlomo Pearl. 

also try to contact Jarno Cordia, maybe he can share some experience with a similar project