Nataly

When life kicks you in the vagina

How do *you* react?  Bonus points it it's funny :)

Like many other people right now, I have lost my job.  I knew very well that in our industry (yachting), none of us were immune to it - but it still came as a shock.

I had a pretty great job...  Realistically, I will probably have to do something shitty until a good one comes along again.  Even if not appealing, at least I have *some* options.  I wish I had a funny side to it - maybe the humour will hit me later!!!  I'm doing everything I can to make the most of a bad situation.  It's not "fun" but I'm certainly not alone, and for sure things could be way, way, way worse. 

Ahhhh, 2020...  You are like a bad breakup...  Can you finish already so I can go back to quietly knitting cute sweaters for my cat??!

Out pops a baby.

30 years ago this week.  

Life is what it is, regardless of the plans we make.  We planned the pregnancy to be between exercises  so that he would actually be there.  Ha!

3 weeks before the due date, the Middle East had other ideas, and he was on the first flight out.  From Hawaii, so I couldn't even fly home.  He didn't see the baby until he was 11 months old.  It is what it is, and one must do what one must do.

2020?

Yeah, sure it sucks.  Made worse by rules that may or may not be helpful.  I had a TIA in August, and let me tell you, not allowing a support person in the ER (private room, btw) is bullshit.  It made it that much more stressful (what ramifications on so many levels to isolate any person in crisis?).  But it is what it is.  We muddle through.

Sorry for not a funny post.  no extra credit, I guess.  

7 hours ago, oldwomanc6 said:

Out pops a baby.

[...]

Sorry for not a funny post.  no extra credit, I guess.  

Well, the first line certainly had me laughing out loud!!  Great segue!!

Wow...  Not a great time for a mini stroke - sorry to hear that.  Obviously, health problems are never "convenient" but you know what I mean...

I spent 7 years in the military...  Back then, they were getting better at recognising the importance of family, but there was still "old school" people at the top who had a complete disregard for things like "the birth of your child" and allowed service members to be posted in different units to their spouses; go on non-essential courses when a family member was ill/dying, when it wouldn't have been THAT hard to re-shuffle things to accommodate the human factor... 

Lots of divorces & dysfunctional children...  They are getting better at it all the time, but being or living with someone in the military is a hard life.  Can be great and rewarding as well, but not easy.

11 months without seeing his child??  Dude, that's rough.  On everyone.  Kudos to him, you, and your (now-adult) kid for your sacrifices.

On 10/7/2020 at 10:17 PM, Nataly said:

How do *you* react?  Bonus points it it's funny :)

Like many other people right now, I have lost my job.  I knew very well that in our industry (yachting), none of us were immune to it - but it still came as a shock.

Could be worse.. You could be associated with the dramatic season of Below Deck MEditerranean.

What is/was your job in the yachting industry ? I believe land based. Broker ?  

On 10/8/2020 at 11:28 PM, piisfish said:

Could be worse.. You could be associated with the dramatic season of Below Deck MEditerranean.

What is/was your job in the yachting industry ? I believe land based. Broker ?  

I have seen the trailer...  So much drama - eeeek!

Yes, my job was at the shipyard, managing the finances for a yacht under construction.  Not many of those positions going around.  Was a really fantastic learning experience.

Just today I was contacted about an interesting position...  Even if it doesn't materialise, it's encouraging :)

I've been very boring for many years now so have managed to set some money aside for a rainy day...  I'm also a Chartered Accountant and being numerate means makes me highly employable.  Now...  Highly employable doesn't mean I will find a job I like, or even that it will pay well...  But the fact that I should be able to get a job is already something.  I can get through this.

On 10/8/2020 at 3:35 AM, Nataly said:

Well, the first line certainly had me laughing out loud!!  Great segue!!

Wow...  Not a great time for a mini stroke - sorry to hear that.  Obviously, health problems are never "convenient" but you know what I mean...

I spent 7 years in the military...  Back then, they were getting better at recognising the importance of family, but there was still "old school" people at the top who had a complete disregard for things like "the birth of your child" and allowed service members to be posted in different units to their spouses; go on non-essential courses when a family member was ill/dying, when it wouldn't have been THAT hard to re-shuffle things to accommodate the human factor... 

Lots of divorces & dysfunctional children...  They are getting better at it all the time, but being or living with someone in the military is a hard life.  Can be great and rewarding as well, but not easy.

11 months without seeing his child??  Dude, that's rough.  On everyone.  Kudos to him, you, and your (now-adult) kid for your sacrifices.

Thank you. 

I am glad to see things changing for the better (meaning more family support, now).

Knowing what you "signed up for"  (My MIL's favorite expression)  is one thing, but it doesn't make going through it any easier or less painful (during).

It's a balancing act, because the military can't accommodate inconvenient things like family life (nor should they, given their purpose).

On 10/10/2020 at 6:51 AM, oldwomanc6 said:

Thank you. 

I am glad to see things changing for the better (meaning more family support, now).

Knowing what you "signed up for"  (My MIL's favorite expression)  is one thing, but it doesn't make going through it any easier or less painful (during).

It's a balancing act, because the military can't accommodate inconvenient things like family life (nor should they, given their purpose).

Yes for sure...  Also...  Funnily enough,  when you are a teenager and you "sign your life away" the farthest thing from your mind is that your future family will find things challenging...

Yes, it's good they are slooooowly realising family and personal life are important.  It makes soldiers more human and empathetic, and the world needs more empathy.

(edited)

When life kicks you in the vagina

This thread keeps reminding me of Big Lebowski:

"My art has been commended as being strongly vaginal which bothers some men. The word itself makes some men uncomfortable. Vagina." 

"They don't like hearing it and find it difficult to say"

Edited by Coreece

(edited)
2 hours ago, SethInMI said:

the title reminded me of three point one four by the bloodhound gang

Hahahahaha!!  Been aaaages since I heard that!!  My title was kind of inspired by the below meme...  I don't know if Betty White actually said that, but it sounds like her and she is just such a national treasure...  LOVE that gal!!

Screenshot_20201013-235814.png

Edited by Nataly