megamalfunction

Did Bill Dause really say . . . ?

I read this Bill Dause quote in regards to continuing to fly loads after a fatality at his dropzone, and was just wondering if the quote is real. It's probably the most horrible thing I've ever read, and can't believe the FAA didn't shut down his operation after reading this:

"We didn’t stop because we didn’t like the guy, we didn’t stop because we weren’t interested in the guy, we didn’t stop, because life goes on.”

Do you think he was misquoted or misspoke? I could see someone saying something like, "We didn't continue jumping because we didn't like the guy, we didn't continue jumping because we weren't interested in the guy, we continued jumping because life goes on." That would have made sense. But the quote from the article doesn't say that, it says the opposite.

Don't fool yourself into thinking anything from the media is even remotely accurate and not completely revised and taken out of context to fit a certain agenda the publisher has for whatever reason...
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

megamalfunction

But the quote from the article doesn't say that, it says the opposite.

No it does not, it says exactly the same thing. "Life goes on." That is the summary.
I support Bill's statement. If someone dies jumping, whether or not jumping continues should be an individual choice.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

megamalfunction

Do you think he was misquoted or misspoke? I could see someone saying something like, "We didn't continue jumping because we didn't like the guy, we didn't continue jumping because we weren't interested in the guy, we continued jumping because life goes on." That would have made sense. But the quote from the article doesn't say that, it says the opposite.

It's an exact quote. Watch the video at the provided link. It appears that Dause simply worded the statement oddly.

http://abc7news.com/news/family-mourns-los-banos-teen-killed-in-skydiving-accident/1461861/
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

"I'm not writing this because I think megamalfunction is a total doofus and because I'm celebrating 4/20, Hitler's birthday. "

As you can see, ambiguities and poor use of English can obscure the meaning. It isn't clear from that wording whether I think those two things about the OP and Hitler (for that's the simplest interpretation), or whether I'm presenting them as hypotheticals that do not apply in my case. In this case, they don't.

I guess that Dause, not known for his touchy feely side apparently, just shot his mouth off to reporters in a dumb way that can be be badly misinterpreted.

megamalfunction

I read this Bill Dause quote in regards to continuing to fly loads after a fatality at his dropzone, and was just wondering if the quote is real. It's probably the most horrible thing I've ever read, and can't believe the FAA didn't shut down his operation after reading this:

"We didn’t stop because we didn’t like the guy, we didn’t stop because we weren’t interested in the guy, we didn’t stop, because life goes on.”

Why should the FAA shut down this or any DZ if a skydiver makes a mistake? Why should a DZ have to shut down if a skydiver makes a mistake?

And why can't you see that Mr. Dause clearly only made a small error in sentence structure in that quote?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I don't know Bill personally but it's pretty clear from the video that he was trying to say is "we didn't not stop because we didn't like the guy, we didn't not stop because we weren't interested in the guy, we didn't stop because life goes on". He just left out the 'not's' mangling the meaning.

Different dropzones treat operation after a fatality differently. If it's a small dz and everyone was either involved in the student operation and investigation or everyone knew the deceased jumper yeah we stop. If you at a large commercial operation where you might have people from 5 countries on their skydiving vacation of the year or teams in training for competition they aren't going to want to lose a day. Continuing to provide airlift for those that want to jump is a business decision.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Well said. Bill not so much. It's clear in the video that that's what he meant . but it doesn't come across in print. In the media is going to twist anything they can for sensationalism
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

megamalfunction

Didn't realize he says that in the video, as I don't have flash player installed. Had I known there was a video where you can hear the tone of voice, I never would have posted this.

Honest mistake then. A lot of Bill Dause bashing goes on here. That's why it appeared to be a troll.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I'm not an particular fan of Mr. Dause, but this is spot on. Life doesn't come to a grinding halt. If people choose to stop jumping because the lost someone they care about, then I support that. If others choose to keep jumping if there is no safety issue, then they shouldn't be condemned for it.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I don't know much about making statements or news reporting, but for written news can you require a copy proof before they print your statement?

I feel like so many incidents and other skydiving reporting would be drastically more accurate and better, if we got a chance to read our quotes, before they fired up the presses or hit post on the final article.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

[did the whole journalism degree and daily news thing for a bit before moving on] big NO on that, while in this instance you can surely see value in it as it would appear Bill made a slip of the tongue but in the bigger picture allowing people to censor their quotes post fact drastically changes the meaning and has large ethical implications! Bottom line if you are going to speak to a journalist know what you are going to say, ideally have some training. If you are a dz you should have a series of ready to go statements for any event written in lay terms with a glossary of terms explaining any jargon attached and manage the press. Single point of contact to speak at a pre-determined time...