1 1
AuTechCoM

New jumper from Cali

Hey, what's up everyone? I am stoked to be here and actually working on my AFF.  (Skydive Taft)

I have done 4 tandems and a little bit of wind tunnel time over the years. Just this last Sunday I took my FJC and made my AFF 1 jump. It was amazing and I learned a lot, but as with most first jumps I realized that I have a lot of work ahead of me.

jumped at 13k, exit was perfect became stable a lot faster than expected especially when my inside instructor lost grip and was tracking my way during my first COA. ( it was really cool to get a thumps up from a guy who was about 20 feet away. My PHTs felt really good. at the second COA, I was instructed to extend my legs of which I thought was just the signal to start my forward movement, but after seeing the video it was because I had bent my legs and was in poor position. The good thing is that I now have an idea of where I need to be for my neutral position and it is a lot more legs than I had originally thought. but still managed to get a little forward movement. Now at 6k this is where things got WONKY. I am not really sure what happened I was well aware of 6k and was locked on my altimeter. at 5.5k I started my pull felt the handle grabbed it but then I completely lost altitude awareness. For some reason in my head I thought I was at 7k and aborted my pull (don't ask me, because I don't know why) by the time I realized the mistake I had just made I burned through 1k and began my second attempt just as my instructor pulled for me at 4.2k. Luckily because I had started my second deployment procedure I was in good position for deployment.

Deployment, saw smooth as butter and under canopy was better than expected. I was able to get a few turns in the holding area then I realized that I had caught up with the guy who jumped before me so the fun was over and spent most of the time I had left staying out of the way. I was almost in perfect position to start my first leg on the approach with good altitude awareness, and for the final 2 turns I was deciding to start the turns just as my instructor was telling me to turn. the final leg was better than i expected. I did catch myself looking straight down and quickly looked out just in time to go to half brakes which felt real good but I flared  just a little late and went in for a butt slide where I barley slid at all and was able to use my forward momentum to get to my feet.

I was kind of rough on myself at first but luckily my instructors were very good at helping me understand what I need to work on, and I am looking forward to my next jump in 2 weeks.

While I think my problem was due to sensory/stimulus overload. Do you guys think a digital altimeter would help?

I know this thread is a bit old but since there’s no replies I’ll give my two cents.

No. A digital most likely isn’t going to help. you sound pretty aware of altitude for most of the jump. Seems like you just got lost in your head in the moment. It isn’t unusual for this to happen when you’re this new to the sport.

i was thinking, “it’s time to pull. Pull now” on my first AFF jump.

i thought it, but was slow to actually do it. My AFF-I pulled for me.

Never had that problem again after that. Hope that helps you or anyone else that comes across this thread