Perris DC 9-21 JET for sale

DrDom

***:(

http://www.moodypacific.com/MPAS/pistons/dc-9-21/

Sure glad I got to jump it. WFFC 2006.

Sweet jumpship.

I'm singing the song "If I had a Million Dollars" right now.
What a beauty.

It's not just the purchase price of the plane. You'll need a LOT MORE just for maintenance costs. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

While we're talking about "the jet", how often was it actually used? There was a lot of excitement back when Perris was getting it ready and satisfying the FAA, but how long or often did it actually fly jumpers after that, before languishing? It wasn't used that much, but perhaps someone can clarify.

It was $100 at WFFC and worth every penny.

The Perris DC 9 was a -21, a special "hot rod" version designed for challenging (short, hot and high) airfields. It was an ex SAS passenger airliner.

From Wikipredia

The Series 20 was designed to satisfy a Scandinavian Airlines request for improved short field performance by using the more powerful engines and improved wings of the -30 combined with the shorter fuselage used in the -10. Ten Series 20 aircraft were produced, all of them Model -21.

The Perris jet was reportedly "grounded" due to an FAA rule that timed out one of their engines based on its age rather than operating hours. The engine had plenty of hours left in operating time, but passed the chrono age limit and an OH was mandated, VERY expensive, well into six figures.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

pchapman

While we're talking about "the jet", how often was it actually used? There was a lot of excitement back when Perris was getting it ready and satisfying the FAA, but how long or often did it actually fly jumpers after that, before languishing? It wasn't used that much, but perhaps someone can clarify.

I'd be interested in how many loads it actually dropped.

I was the first person to jump it naked, WFFC 2006.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Remster

***Never jumped it but I do have a good memory of that first class seat in the picture :PB|:)

The poor plane got Vadered, didn't it... :|

Vadered? Is that a term for the FAA grounding it?

Yes, it was $70 when jumped it just after Christmas in '07 I think it was. Jarrett Martin was on it jumping a wingsuit. Another bird told me when I landed that it took him 20 sec to just get down to the starting altitude due to the groundspeed. B|

I jumped it a few times at WFFC. Very cool ride and a fun jumpship.

HOWEVER, without some kind of high profile, large scale event like the WFFC, isn't it really a plane with no place to fly? I mean I love the thing, but I would never pay that kind of $$$ to jump it on a regular basis. And I don't know if any of the regional scale boggies would be able to support it. I'm deeply sad to see it and the WFFC go, but reality is a bitch. :|

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

They already have those contracts and fly the Skyvan or Otters for them.

The jet was Ben and Pat's little father/son project. They sure had a lot of fun rehabbing it and dealing with the FAA. It was pretty impressive to watch it take off at Perris. I'm sure the neighbors are happy it's going.

It's about $150,000 to get it flying again, according to Pat.

I had the chance to jump twice that jet, it was just fantastic.
Since the seats, carpets, and all accessories inside were in A1 shape, it looked exactely as an real airliner and was at the take off the most quiet airplane I have ever jumped. Mary and Lou-Ann, two attractive California girls were the flight attendents. They "explained" us how to buckle our safety belt, showing us where were the emergency exits...etc just like in a real travel, a requirement from the FAA.
The two ladies were in shorts and t-shirt and parachute equiped since they were jumping after us. For those who want to have a look at such a flight and jump, see You Tube :

DC-9 jump Rantoul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4ax-Eg0vZo

It is the video of the four way I managed to do with three other friends. Not that easy since the exit has to be made one by one and the separation was several hundred feet between us due to the high exit speed.

At Rantoul in 2006 (last year the WFFC has been held) the DC-9 was there for 2 days. I estimate that maybe 5-6 loads a day of 80 jumpers/load were made.
Next year the jet showed up at the Skydive Chicago Summerfest. They made about 5-6 loads per day for two days.
That makes for those two places about 1600-1900 jumps.
Note : after a first landing at the Summerfest location in Ottawa ILL., it was found that the DC-9 was too heavy for the runway tarmac and later the airplane had to operate from Peru ILL. runway though the jumps continued to be done at the Summerfest location.
The jet has been used for jumping at Perris and certainly at other places too but I have no figures.
I was at the WFFC in 2005 at Rantoul and I don't think the DC-9 showed up that year contrary to what Billvon mentions.;)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.