1 1
RobertMBlevins

Trump Tests Positive for Covid-19

4 hours ago, billvon said:

I think there's a non zero possibility he's faking it.

The possibility I see is that he heard about Hope Hicks testing positive and realized that this could solve a lot of his problems:

1) He won't have to do another debate, considering the last one went poorly for him.  Even among his inner circle, the best anyone has said off-record about the debate is that "it didn't move the needle."   And he can use COVID as an excuse to avoid at least the next one.
2) He can lay low for a while then come out saying "Fully recovered!  Used choroquine!  Hateful Dems don't want you to know about it!  They want Americans to die so they win the election."  By "recovering" he can prove he was right all along.
3) He can use the incident to "prove" that COVID-19 isn't that bad, and the panic is all a big media hoax.
4) He can use the incident to "prove" that masks don't work, by claiming everyone was wearing masks 100% when he became infected.
5) He can use the incident to make himself an expert on COVID-19 because he's had it - and don't you want a COVID expert as president?
6) He gets the sympathy vote - and more importantly the 24/7 news coverage that he is addicted to.

The probability of this is low, mainly because he's just not that organized.  But it's not zero.

I feel like there should be another entry on this list.

7) Trump dies from covid-19. All of his problems are solved but the country's become become more complicated than they already are.

This would be bad for us. People are already voting. Are we voting for Trump/Biden or Pence/Biden? Will Pence  take over and begin campaigning as the president slowly succumbs? Who will be running the executive branch while this plays out?

In this scenario it won't matter to Trump because he won't be alive to win or lose the election. He will have never lost a presidential election. He will go out a winner. I do have to admit it's a bold strategy, even for him.

(edited)

Generally speaking, because of Trump's age and pre-existing conditions, (weight, possible high cholesterol, other unknown factors) his chances of succumbing to the virus are probably between 10-16%. He is getting the best medical care, sure. This also means he has an 85-90 percent chance of recovery. The next few days will tell. 

No...I do NOT wish death on him. It won't do any good. It will just make things worse. It will detract from the election. His poll numbers don't look good anyway, and he is almost certainly losing even MORE support by being shown to be foolish and wrong. 

In any case, even if you recover from Covid, you are often left with damage that shortens your life anyway. 

Come on....look at the bright side Trump haters...wouldn't you want his suffering to be slow and painful, rather than quick and peaceful? 

Yes, that was kind of a sick joke... but I wouldn't worry. After THIS fiasco his chances of winning next month are looking pretty lean. I turned on the TV today and saw those six or seven people in front of the hospital or whatever...holding up their Trump for President flags. Nobody else joined them, nobody who supports Biden bothered to counter them. Because no one frickin' cares anymore. 

If there was any debate among historians on 'who was the worst US President?' that debate has ended. People don't even talk bad much about George Bush anymore, and I bet a lot of folks would take him back right now and send him fan mail to boot. B)

"Bill...George....ANYTHING but SUE!" (Trump being Sue) Thanks to Johnny Cash for that one. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

39 minutes ago, lippy said:

I just can't imagine that he'd be willing to sacrifice a single rally to play that kind of long game.

Agreed.  That (and his inability to plan) are the two best arguments against that.

(edited)
48 minutes ago, billvon said:

Agreed.  That (and his inability to plan) are the two best arguments against that.

I read about 2/3 of Bolton's book. He relates numerous cases of where:

1. A situation would be discussed for several days.

2. An agreement would be reached on a plan.

3. One or more officials would make public statements referring to the plan.

4. Trump would abruptly announce something entirely different without even warning anyone.

So yes, when you have the attention span of a parakeet, planning beyond 24 hours is out of the question.

Edited by ryoder

6 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Trump campaign manager tests positive for Covid-19

Bill Stepien's diagnosis is the latest blow to a reeling reelection effort. He plans to maintain control of the campaign while in quarantine.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/02/trump-campaign-manager-tests-positive-for-covid-19-425722

Many a tear has to fall but it's all in the game
All in the wonderful game that we know as love
You have words with him and your future's looking dim
But these things your hearts can rise above

28 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Trump campaign manager tests positive for Covid-19

Bill Stepien's diagnosis is the latest blow to a reeling reelection effort. He plans to maintain control of the campaign while in quarantine.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/02/trump-campaign-manager-tests-positive-for-covid-19-425722

Hi Robert,

Re:  'maintain control of the campaign'

What campaign?  It's a Chinese virus; oops, I mean Chinese fire drill.

Jerry Baumchen

(edited)

This whole scenario is a frickin' mess beyond belief. All these Trump people, some Republican US Senators, and God knows who else will come out of the woodwork in the next few days...popping up sick like dandelions in a poorly-maintained lawn. 

The virus may have originated in China, but if you ASKED the virus...it would tell you it is stateless. It doesn't believe in borders and considers them nothing but a nuisance. 

If I thought I could get away with it, I would move to the middle of some desert in Nevada and just wait it out there for a year. 

There is going to be one hell of a voter backlash over this one. It's time to replace the leadership who not only ignored the problems, but tried leading this country down Neverland Road. When they invented the phrase 'Toss the Bums Out,' they were talking about NOW. 

To make my personal day worse, I just got word today that a nice lady I worked with for many years will be dead from Covid in the next day or two at most. Yes, she was old. But she was in great shape before the virus came along. This is her short history:

Geraine was a 1956 graduate of the University of Washington with a Masters in English. She worked her way through college by spending her summers waitressing tables at the lodge at the Mt Rainier National Park. When she wasn't doing that, she was planting trees for the Forest Service. She also got a couple of minor scholarships, and all of this was how she obtained her degree. She came from a poor family in North Dakota. 

After she graduated, she became a civil service librarian for the USAF and was assigned to air bases all over the world. She also traveled a lot in her free time. Tibet was her favorite place to visit. She was stationed at one time or another at most of the major US air bases handing out books to the boys. During Vietnam, she was at Anderson AFB on Guam and survived Typhoons Karen (1962 after she first arrived) and Pamela (1976) just before she was assigned elsewhere. Guam was her single longest posting and she loved it there. Her biggest concerns, she told me, was how they would rebuild the library after the storms. Other times, other assignments were at air bases in Europe, Alaska, stateside, you name it...she was probably there telling people to be quiet. :handpeace:And what book are YOU looking for, young man?

After she retired, I would work for her on weekends driving her around to appointments and errands. Sometimes her favorite Tibetan restaurant. This went on for almost ten years. When she could no longer stay by herself in her home, I kept that going for her a few additional years by stopping in all the time to make sure things got done and that she was eating properly. I asked her once why she never got married or had kids. She said she was so busy with her duties around the world that she just never got around to it. And after a while she decided it was too late for all that. She referred to the military guys she met as 'her boys'. 

This past June, she finally moved into a nice assisted living facility with her own private apartment. 

Then Covid came along. I will be attending the funeral...no wait...probably can't do that due to Covid. 

Her story is just one of many. I blame this on the people at the top who lied, deceived, made false claims, and turned their backs on hard working Americans like Geraine. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins
  • Like 2

(edited)

God doesn't do politics. He doesn't register with any particular party, either. 

PEOPLE do politics. Maybe call it karma instead. 

But if I were you, I wouldn't listen to me. I'm fairly distressed and depressed right now. 

All I know is that current events tell me this is a call for action. Not with violence, not with hatred, but with the tried-and-true method that has (generally) worked for this country for more than 200 years. Just let your voice be heard. Works much better than bombs, bullets, or threats. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

When Boris Johnson caught covid-19 there was a wave of sympathy for him, even from his opponents.

He recovered, then it emerged that his senior adviser Dominic Cummings broke lockdown rules while ill from covid-19 and he protected him when he refused to resign. This broke trust in the government (one rule for them, one rule for us) and this, combined with at least 14 policy U-turns over the past several months, saw Boris' poll lead of 26 points evaporate to -3. He's now facing a second wave of covid-19, a hard brexit and coronavirus-induced recession, growing rebellions from his own party and is looking much more diminished both in power and health wise.

So no, if Trump recovers from this it won't suddenly make him take covid-19 more seriously. It won't suddenly make him more competent. However maybe he'll suffer enough that it'll be impossible to avoid his failure on containing the virus, and he'll lose the election by a landslide.

(Actually, when Trump's friend died from covid-19 during the peak you can say that was when he started taking it more seriously, but he didn't do anything significant after that)

(edited)

This may seem off topic but bear with me a little...

In 2015, I met and fell in love with a Narcissist.  Not in the "popular" sense of the term - he had the full on clinical definition of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.  I didn't know this about him in the beginning and I was lucky enough to have a bit of age and experience behind me, so it didn't take me very long to understand that something was very, very off about him.  I broke things off and began to educate myself about WTF I had been dealing with.  I read every book I could get my hands on.  Watched tons of videos.  Read articles, forums, victim testimonies, et cetera, et cetera.  It's a minefield - LOADS of people pretending to be "experts" but not fully grasping what they are talking about.  But I wanted to understand, so I waded through tons and tons and tons of info / theories...

There were many take aways for me.  Overall, the consensus was pretty much that Narcissists (and I think it's obvious that Trump is one) only ever worsen over time.  They get increasingly powerful, "creative" and brazen about finding ways to threaten/bully/manipulate/cheat/lie/hurt their victims), and sadly they don't stop until they are dead.  That is a very grim thought...

Another interesting lesson for me was the relationship/dynamic between the Narcissist and his/her victim(s).  A LOT of people (and even so-called experts) have plenty to say about victims, but when you begin to curate the information, you find that again, many people really don't "get it."  The key thing about Narcissists is that they lack empathy.  The key common denominator of victims is not that they lack intelligence, but in fact that they have higher than average empathy.  And unfortunately these personality traits tend to gravitate toward each other.  A manipulative person (Narcissist) who plays the victim card will find a listening ear in the victim, who laps up the bullshit without examining the BEHAVIOUR.  Then there are also people who know the Narcissist is lying, but they go along because it suits their agenda (the basket of deplorables).

We unfortunately have a strong tendency as humans to listen to what people say and pay less attention to what people do.  Narcissists know this and exploit it with lies that are obviously lies but they understand that repeated often enough they start to sound true.  Their number 1 currency is the ability to get what they want by tailoring their bullshit according to whatever they think people want to hear.  It's why Trump has no qualms about saying the EXACT opposite of something else he has already said...  His narrative will always be adjusted to fit/get what he wants at that very moment.  Period.  For me this is what makes him so dangerous...  To understand Narcissism, is to know that Trump's agenda is petty, self-serving, and subject to change at any given moment.  To have a 5-year-old moron at the head of the world's most powerful nation is frightening & I don't even think we have begun to see just how bad things can get.

It would take much to long to go into all the detail, but in short, it is my opinion that the people who believe Trump are not paying attention to his behaviour.  They are latching on to something he said or some bit of "theatre performance" he made, which fits their own belief system.

So yeah.  Until he dies, IMO, not only will he not stop, but he will also continue to have supporters/enablers, and things can only get worse...

On a more positive note, after several days of stormy weather, it's nice-ish outside, it's the weekend, and I am going to take my motorcycle out for a spin :)

Edited by Nataly
spelling - ooopsy!
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Phil,

Change Trump to Smith & change Cohn to Jones, then print that out & show it to 100 Trump supporters.  My bet is that they would condemn anyone who would do such a thing.

Jerry Baumchen

Yet its ironic that the person who uses the courts, the law, to bully, intimidate, uses it to advance personal agendas. Is now appointing SC justices.

That those who support that thinking are applauding him.

5 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

This whole scenario is a frickin' mess ...

Her story is just one of many. I blame this on the people at the top who lied, deceived, made false claims, and turned their backs on hard working Americans like Geraine. 

A story about one of two hundred thousand. I also blame those at the top but also those who refuse personal responsibility in societies efforts to destroy this virus. Those who politicize what is a scientific and personal fight by every person to defeat it.

Those who would race cars through school zones are the same as those who gather in large crowds screaming support and applause for their tribal leaders. All while rejecting masks and the other known measures to destroy a common enemy.

6 minutes ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Nobody with any common sense wants the First Family to die from Covid. It would only make Trump a martyr instead of a fool. 

A martyr? No, a fool ignores the guidelines of scientific experts while professing themselves a expert of everything. A fool knows of danger yet runs to the front of the line throwing caution to the wind. Merely to score points about how "strong" they are.

Sometimes stupidity, ignorance, a complete disregard for danger all needs to be appropriately rewarded. Barron is the only innocent in the "first family" equation. The rest are adults. Mostly intelligent adults. Yet they all followed the lead on masks sent by trump. if not mocking the use of masks. Enabling that message that masks are a sign of weakness in the face of a "virus". Masks but one example in a dialogue of stupidity about the virus.

Sorry your thought has a ring of empathy but is instead a recipe to nowhere.

Trust me, he'd be a martyr. To people whose opinion you disregard, but nevertheless it'd be a shitshow. Just think of the Benghazi martyrs. The only problem is figuring out whom to blame; that's tougher, but I'm sure the radio-heads and Q are up to it.

Wendy P.

(edited)
22 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Trust me, he'd be a martyr. To people whose opinion you disregard, but nevertheless it'd be a shitshow. Just think of the Benghazi martyrs. The only problem is figuring out whom to blame; that's tougher, but I'm sure the radio-heads and Q are up to it.

Wendy P.

trump would be a martyr if he won re-election by a majority of votes. If subsequent to that he was assassinated by a left-wing nut job prior to his second term.

trump and the first family had an agreement to attend the presidential debate and abide by the rules made by the Cleveland Clinic. Donald Trump’s family allowed to go maskless at presidential debate, despite Cleveland Clinic rules.

The only exception to the agreed rules were the moderator and the two candidates. In addition EVERYONE in attendance was supposed to be tested in advance of the debate. The trump entourage arrived too late to be tested yet was allowed to attend based upon a 'honor' exemption.

Subsequent to the debate trump was informed on AF one that Hicks had symptoms yet instead of following his own "guidelines" on self quarantining for 14 days. he went directly to the "Day after seeing Trump at Bedminster fundraiser, guests 'flabbergasted' to learn he was stricken, Trump had already been exposed, sources said,"

Sorry Wendy I have to call you out a as hypocrite and I'll quote "There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence." Let alone in situations that not only endanger yourself but more importantly others who may be more vulnerable. Who furthermore never asked nor expected to be put in personal danger.

Edited by Phil1111

Did i say I'd think of him as a martyr? I'm just saying that there would be a lot of martyr talk. I also don't think the Benghazi folks were martyrs. Personally, I agree with the estimate that Trump is the worst president we've ever had, and had he died two years ago it'd've been just fine. Just that now it'd raise up a bigger shitshow -- consider all the conspiracy theories about how "liberal doctors" didn't treat Trump correctly, and that's why he died. Or Melania, or anyone else.

He'll be vilified enough by history; I'd rather see the context of the society we actually have, not the one I wish we had. Right now as a society we're fighting against the marginalization of minorities; I'm not sure that marginalizing an entire political spectrum is wise. Even after all the civil rights legislation in the 1960's, we didn't make racism illegal, just institutionalized, and it became less and less acceptable to talk like that in public. And even then, it's not gone (though it is on its way out in general society).

You can't kill ideas; however, if the environment that doesn't support or accept them is inviting enough, they lose most of their power.

Wendy P.

15 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Did i say I'd think of him as a martyr? ..

You can't kill ideas; however, if the environment that doesn't support or accept them is inviting enough, they lose most of their power.

Wendy P.

Well said.