2 2
skybytch

Prepping?

1 minute ago, murps2000 said:

I guess that is a valid point if S really hits the F. I'm sure the market is hot for firepower right now so it probably is a good investment. And if the economy devolved into one of solely bartering, ammunition would likely increase in value. 

There is zero valid about it. We might as well pretend that taking offense at boys with long hair is valid. 

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

There is zero valid about it. We might as well pretend that taking offense at boys with long hair is valid. 

In Ron's world it might be. It certainly isn't in mine. I do not have the luxury of a defensible space. I live in an urban area and must find a way to get along with a million plus people who live within a few square miles of me. I've fired many a gun in appallachia but I sold all of mine when I moved to the west coast. Still, I remember how things work in that area.

(edited)
On 10/3/2020 at 10:05 PM, murps2000 said:

I guess that is a valid point if S really hits the F. I'm sure the market is hot for firepower right now so it probably is a good investment. And if the economy devolved into one of solely bartering, ammunition would likely increase in value. 

On 10/3/2020 at 11:47 PM, murps2000 said:

In Ron's world it might be. It certainly isn't in mine. I do not have the luxury of a defensible space. I live in an urban area and must find a way to get along with a million plus people who live within a few square miles of me. I've fired many a gun in appallachia but I sold all of mine when I moved to the west coast. Still, I remember how things work in that area.

I appreciate your understanding. Most folks here are unable to grasp the concept that there are different strokes for different folks. They want us all to be homogenized into one controllable group managed by the intellectual elites.

Nine years ago the Lord guided us to this area. At the time we were living in the suburban Tampa Bay area. He guided us to a repo house with four acres in the mountains. 

I posted at the time I believed that SHTF was likely and that we were being given pertinent instructions to survive and establish a safe ground for the family if the worst occurs. In addition, we have access to a joint family owned piece of ground in SE GA suitable for farming, hunting and with close access to excellent fishing.

The Bible speaks of the watchman on the wall. To some degree, I am one of those thus appointed. Not a prophet, simply an advisor.

We moved here permanently seven years ago and immediately began networking into the community.

My education allowed me to accurately observe, evaluate, and adopt to the mores, folkways, customs, and traditions of this area. We did not come here to change them to metropolitan thinking. We came here to survive in their lifestyle.

In the current state of affairs, I believe the Lord has protected us from what is coming. 

When and how bad? That is the question. We are ready.

Edited by RonD1120

(edited)
On 10/3/2020 at 10:05 PM, murps2000 said:

It depends on the election.  Gun sales plummeted after Trump won and the specter of a Clinton gun grab evaporated.  If Trump wins, great deals on guns and ammunition will be a few months away, OTOH a Biden win will ensure record sales, high prices and shortages for the foreseeable future.

Ironic, isn’t it? The party that wants to reduce the number and type of firearms citizens own, is responsible for literally millions of guns pouring into the hands of those very folks.

Edited by brenthutch

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

It depends on the election.  Gun sales plummeted after Trump won and the specter of a Clinton gun grab evaporated.  If Trump wins, great deals on guns and ammunition will be a few months away, OTOH a Biden win will ensure record sales, high prices and shortages for the foreseeable future.

The 'spectre of a Clinton Gun Grab' was a myth perpetrated by the gun lobby.

How many guns did Obama ban?
How many fools paid WAAAAAAY too much for guns in 08?

10 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The 'spectre of a Clinton Gun Grab' was a myth perpetrated by the gun lobby.

How many guns did Obama ban?
How many fools paid WAAAAAAY too much for guns in 08?

Same fools who point to others and yell: Sheeple, Sheeple

Well, I'm about as pro-gun rights as it gets.

But something that will 'wake up' the anti-gun folks, and to a degree not seen since the early 90s, is the idea of right wing idiots prancing around with military style weapons.

Toss in the idea that those idiots are going to pretend to 'protect people and their property' and end up committing murder, the idea that some of those idiots are going to try to instigate an armed insurgency, and they might actually get some traction.

59 minutes ago, billvon said:

And resurfaces every four years.  At some point no one's going to believe the boy who cried "wolf!"

From the Biden/Harris website:

Get weapons of war off our streets. The bans on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines that Biden, along with Senator Feinstein, secured in 1994 reduced the lethality of mass shootings. But, in order to secure the passage of the bans, they had to agree to a 10-year sunset provision and when the time came, the Bush Administration failed to extend them. As president, Biden will:

• Ban the manufacture and sale of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. Federal law prevents hunters from hunting migratory game birds with more than three shells in their shotgun. That means our federal law does more to protect ducks than children. It’s wrong. Joe Biden will enact legislation to once again ban assault weapons. This time, the bans will be designed based on lessons learned from the 1994 bans. For example, the ban on assault weapons will be designed to prevent manufacturers from circumventing the law by making minor changes that don’t limit the weapon’s lethality. While working to pass this legislation, Biden will also use his executive authority to ban the importation of assault weapons. 
  • Regulate possession of existing assault weapons under the National Firearms Act. Currently, the National Firearms Act requires individuals possessing machine-guns, silencers, and short-barreled rifles to undergo a background check and register those weapons with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). Due to these requirements, such weapons are rarely used in crimes. As president, Biden will pursue legislation to regulate possession of existing assault weapons under the National Firearms Act. 
  • Buy back the assault weapons and high-capacity magazines already in our communities. Biden will also institute a program to buy back weapons of war currently on our streets. This will give individuals who now possess assault weapons or high-capacity magazines two options: sell the weapons to the government, or register them under the National Firearms Act.

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Brent,

Once again you present an opinion as fact.

Naughty, naughty,

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Is there a gun ban in his platform?

It is not my opinion, I took it right off of the Biden/Harris website.  The fact that there area record amount of guns flying off of shelves, across the country, is not my opinion either.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/record-gun-sales-in-august

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Brent,

Once again you present an opinion as fact.

Naughty, naughty,

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Is there a gun ban in his platform?

Not in so many words.

But to consider any military style semi-auto rifle an "NFA" gun would be a de facto ban for a lot of people. 
Part of that is getting approval from the chief of police or sheriff. 
There are a lot of them that won't sign the form no matter what.

But this is just what the campaign is proposing. Despite the setbacks, the NRA still carries a lot of clout. 
Obama proposed a fairly comprehensive ban right after the shooting in Sandy Hook. Despite having a D majority in the Senate, it failed 40-60. 

The chances of getting this proposal into law is pretty slim.

43 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I never claimed it was going to happen, merely the threat is enough to drive gun sales to record levels.

I understood your point and agree. That doesn't mean I understand he need for the "assault type" weapons, though. To make my point I was going to point out to you that guns are just tools for a purpose and use shovels as an example. But fuck me if I didn't have 9 different shovels when I checked so that didn't work. No matter, I still don't see the need.

10 hours ago, SkyDekker said:
10 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Federal law prevents hunters from hunting migratory game birds with more than three shells in their shotgun. That means our federal law does more to protect ducks than children.

I mean, how fucked up is that.....

Ya, fucked up that: 1) Biden approves this horseshit.  2) How you just lap it up.  3) That Jerry thinks this is all just Brent's opinion, lmao.

31 minutes ago, kallend said:

Is there any federal law that imposes limits on hunting children?

I believe US federal law is silent on the matter. It’s up to the states individually. Although the Supreme Court has put a stop to the execution of children.

34 minutes ago, kallend said:

Is there any federal law that imposes limits on hunting children?

Not even a general federal law against murder except in narrow cases. But why would there need to be?

When is murder a federal offense?

1. the murder is of a federal judge or a federal law enforcement official (e.g., an agent of the FBI, TSA, or ATF),1

2. the killing is of an immediate family member of a federal law enforcement official,2

3. the murder is of an elected or appointed federal official (e.g., the President, a Supreme Court Justice, a member of Congress, or the murder of a federal judge),3

4. the killing is committed during a bank robbery,4

5. the killing takes place aboard a ship at sea (e.g., on a vessel that is engaged in interstate commerce per the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution),5

6. the murder was designed to influence a court case,6 and

7. the killing takes place on federal property (e.g., on national parks or a Native American reservation).

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/blog/murder/is-murder-a-federal-crime-7-ways-it-can-be/

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

Ya, fucked up that: 1) Biden approves this horseshit.  2) How you just lap it up.  3) That Jerry thinks this is all just Brent's opinion, lmao.

Yeah it is really fucked up a presidential candidate proposes to reinstate a law that led to less deadly mass shootings. 

Of course the party that is for the sanctity of life would oppose that. Once you are done controlling women you don’t give a shit about anybody’s life. Might cost you a penny on your taxes, can’t have that happen.