2 2
skybytch

Prepping?

(edited)
3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Do Americans even realize that in other western nations people just don't spend time calculating which weapons would be most effective at killing the people invading their homes?

2 hours ago, yoink said:

Go on the dark web and you can find pretty much anything for sale so I should probably stack up on a contingent of claymore mines, you know, for SHTF.

And I also need the gear to modify my car to Mad Max style with a flamethrower mount. We've also got a big hill behind our house, so I should probably look at installing a cannon battery up there.

If you're going to do something, might as well do it right.

Guess you missed the rabid skunk thing.  I'm likely to have to kill one someday, and it won't  be the beer time that I have done that. I dont think I will ever need to or even consider pointing a gun at a human being.  My plans are focused on mountain lions and skunks and paper targets, not paramilitary terrorist groups or roving bands of looters or zombies invading our property.  Because guns and the skills needed to shoot skunks with them at multiple ranges happen to also be effective against bad guys doesn't mean I think I am ever likely to need that effectiveness.  

Again, if I lived in suburbia my needs and risks would be different than they are living here.  If more people understood that there might be less of the angry political divide we have now when it comes to guns. 

Edited by skybytch

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I find long guns to be impolite. As a liberal, I believe you should have the opportunity to say by your leave or excuse me before letting loose with all five from your Beretta Tactical. I don't know, maybe it's an Oregon thing.

I am also a liberal,  but I am not going to say excuse me to a rabid skunk. I'm going to use the tools available to me as quickly as possible.  Humans are a different story.  My rifle is a bit visually intimidating but I got it because it works for my intended purposes  - having fun shooting at round paper targets and killing skunks - not because it is intimidating or I think I will ever need it to intimidate or kill a human.

An AAD is a side benefit should I ever have an impossible reserve pull - an AAD can save my life in multiple situations. I don't have one only because I am worried about the extremely small risk of said reserve pull, I have one in case of a number of situations.  I see guns in the same light. 

46 minutes ago, skybytch said:

Guess you missed the rabid skunk thing.  I'm likely to have to kill one someday, and it won't  be the beer time that I have done that. I dont think I will ever need to or even consider pointing a gun at a human being.  My plans are focused on mountain lions and skunks and paper targets, not paramilitary terrorist groups or roving bands of looters or zombies invading our property.  Because guns and the skills needed to shoot skunks with them at multiple ranges happen to also be effective against bad guys doesn't mean I think I am ever likely to need that effectiveness.  

Again, if I lived in suburbia my needs and risks would be different than they are living here.  If more people understood that there might be less of the angry political divide we have now when it comes to guns. 

I was trying to make a joke out of it because of all the gun talk.

Tough to do on the internet and it fell flat.

5 hours ago, skybytch said:

I'd call the sheriff's department and tell them what happened. Same as I would if I had to shoot a rabid skunk.  If I have to go to jail, well, I'm a white middle aged female, I'm sure I would be out in no time and be treated well until the courts decide it was justified. Since we live with a 15 to 30 minute potential LE response time and I was in fear for my life, no worries about it not being justified.  

If the shit has truly hit the fan and LE can't help, we have shovels and 5 acres to dig holes in.  Where we live, no one would see us doing so, and if they did they'd likely come help. 

Guns aren't always there because the owner expects to kill a person with them. I have them to be sure I can eliminate dangerous wildlife that could appear on the property at any time, and because they are a blast to shoot.  The ability to defend myself and our property from dangerous humans is only a side benefit.  

Same mindset and environment on opposite sides of the country.

BTW just got back from purchasing another 1,060 rounds of ammo. We have a wonderful dealer in our neck of the woods.

5 hours ago, DougH said:

I hope you have considered being a member of one of the firearms legal defense organizations like USCCA.

I came to a realization that if I ever used my firearms to defend myself and my family I would likely find myself embroiled in a costly legal defense that could deprive us of my freedom and finances. 

Alive but in jail and draining our savings isn't a position I want to find myself in.

U.S. Law Shield cheaper. USCCA hooks you on a magazine subscription. I pay about $12/mo vs $32/mo.

20 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

BTW just got back from purchasing another 1,060 rounds of ammo. We have a wonderful dealer in our neck of the woods.

I hope that is enough to take care of all the rabid  skunks you have up there!

1 hour ago, RonD1120 said:

The weekend was free of charge. We were only raising money for a local Benghazi memorial. 

We do not forget those in power when help was denied.

Oh, I strongly suspect you will forget those in power who did not help during COVID-19. Heck, I suspect you have forgotten them already.

8 minutes ago, billvon said:

Oh, I strongly suspect you will forget those in power who did not help during COVID-19. Heck, I suspect you have forgotten them already.

I track the stats in my area daily. We take care of our own as best we can. I have no control over those that ignore universal precautions. 

I track the stats in my area daily. We take care of our own as best we can. I have no control over those that ignore universal precautions. 

You had no control over the Benghazi attack - but you have been obsessing over that for over a decade.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

You had no control over the Benghazi attack - but you have been obsessing over that for over a decade.

Who cares about Benghazi when his man can look the other way to weekly attacks on Americans:

6 missiles intercepted targeting airport that houses American troops in Iraq

Attacks on U.S. troops in Iraq have increased, U.S. commander says

How attacks on US forces in Iraq became a new normal

"Between March 11 and August 18, the volume of these attacks increased, with at least four attacks on convoys and up to twenty-eight attacks reported on bases housing US forces. The number of attacks increased further to almost daily occurrences in mid-August, as Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi flew to the US for meetings in Washington. In that span, there were attacks on two US logistics convoys and a rocket attack on Camp Taji. "

The Iranian Mullahs have opened a all out offensive against the US yet trump has said and done nothing....But Benghazi

7 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

I imagine that maintaining proficiency will likely be the purpose for a lot of those rounds, but how many do you suppose will be used for defense? And afterward, what then? Will your LE relationships help you in dealing with the corpses of those you have defended your community from? If the people you have killed in self defense came at you armed with guns themselves I suppose you can't be blamed for using a commensurate amount of force to repel them, but again, you still have dead bodies to deal with. Do you have holes already dug?

7 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

1060, an angel number. How cute. I assume your local Geritol Cohorts Society is also stashing rounds away by the thousands, so that's good. Are you going to wait until someone comes up the road past your deadenders sign to announce that you have more bullets than sense? No? Why not post a sign instead. Maybe they'll just leave you to your delusions with your ammo intact.

11 hours ago, murps2000 said:

I imagine that maintaining proficiency will likely be the purpose for a lot of those rounds, but how many do you suppose will be used for defense? And afterward, what then? Will your LE relationships help you in dealing with the corpses of those you have defended your community from? If the people you have killed in self defense came at you armed with guns themselves I suppose you can't be blamed for using a commensurate amount of force to repel them, but again, you still have dead bodies to deal with. Do you have holes already dug?

Consider that pistols, rifles, shotguns, and ammo have a resale and/or barter value if SHTF comes to our area.

At this juncture we have the blessing of local LE. I suppose that could change but for now we are all on the same team. We are an Appalachian community.

Consider that pistols, rifles, shotguns, and ammo have a resale and/or barter value if SHTF comes to our area.

Oh please.

Guns won't have much value. There's just too many of them. Same as vehicles.

Ammunition and fuel will be the commodities that will have value.

There's a fella that used to show up at the shooting range I'm part of. He did a lot of home gunsmithing, mostly 'parts replacement' or simple customizing.

He also did some rather interesting stuff as a 'can I do it?' exercise. He loaded most of his own ammo, so he tried to see if the steel cases could be reloaded. They're really common and the loaded ammo (used to be Chinese, now it's mostly Russian) is pretty cheap. He found he could get the cases to resize with a lot of lube and effort, and they would usually reload and fire two or three times before they split. As he put it - If I really need to, I know I can.
He also made a couple of batches of black powder from scratch. Simple tests (using a chronometer) against both 'factory' black powder and Pyrodex (black powder substitute) showed it was comparable. 

On 10/2/2020 at 11:45 AM, RonD1120 said:

IAW the pre-briefing instructions.

His presentation included all subversive groups. Interestingly, he had no current info on Q and QAnon.

So the guy who widely, publicly advertises himself as a counter terror expert gave you instructions to keep his name secret? Clearly he can play the audience like a fiddle, I'll give him that.

2 hours ago, billvon said:

Seems like primer would be the limitation.

It can be. 

For 'caplock' stuff, the standard #11 cap isn't a huge deal to replicate.
For smokeless stuff, and the more modern black powder that uses the "209" shotgun primer, it's a bit more involved, but not impossible.

Of course, if you take a 'historical step backwards' and go with a flintlock, no primers needed.

I had this discussion with him. He said he'd most likely go with home made #11s.

Every time there is a democrat president elected the sales of guns and ammo in the states explodes. Up until about three years ago every time there was a mass shooting in the US there was a huge increase in sales of guns.

"These are men who are anxious about their ability to protect their families, insecure about their place in the job market, and beset by racial fears. They tend to be less educated. For the most part, they don’t appear to be religious—and, suggests one study, faith seems to reduce their attachment to guns. In fact, stockpiling guns seems to be a symptom of a much deeper crisis in meaning and purpose in their lives. Taken together, these studies describe a population that is struggling to find a new story—one in which they are once again the heroes.

When Northland College sociologist Angela Stroud studied applications for licenses to carry concealed firearms in Texas, which exploded after President Obama was elected, she found applicants were overwhelmingly dominated by white men. In interviews, they told her that they wanted to protect themselves and the people they love.

“When men became fathers or got married, they started to feel very vulnerable, like they couldn’t protect families,” she says. “For them, owning a weapon is part of what it means to be a good husband and a good father.” That meaning is “rooted in fear and vulnerability—very motivating emotions.”

But Stroud also discovered another motivation: racial anxiety. “A lot of people talked about how important Obama was to get a concealed-carry license: ‘He’s for free health care, he’s for welfare.’ They were asking, ‘Whatever happened to hard work?’” Obama’s presidency, they feared, would empower minorities to threaten their property and families."

12 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

At this juncture we have the blessing of local LE. I suppose that could change but for now we are all on the same team. We are an Appalachian community.

Here is where the forum rules fail us all. 

12 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

I guess that is a valid point if S really hits the F. I'm sure the market is hot for firepower right now so it probably is a good investment. And if the economy devolved into one of solely bartering, ammunition would likely increase in value.