2 2
skybytch

Prepping?

3 hours ago, kallend said:

A thread that perfectly illustrates Trump's America!

Oh, come on Professor.

Remember the 'backyard fallout shelters' back in the 50s & 60s? (before my time)

The 'survivalists' from the 70s & 80s?

The "Y2K" fears?

This sort of thing pervades human history.

Even on here, Ron has been getting ready for "SHTF" for a loooong time. He expected it during the Obama administration. Maybe even before that. 

Even FEMA says people should have short term supplies of necessary items. 

For people who live in areas subject to widespread disasters (fires, floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, ect) where large areas can be without power, water, food, medical help, ect for 'more than short' periods of time (more than 3 or 4 days), this sort of 'prepping' is a really good idea. 

Wendy's idea of neighborhood 'networking' is even better. Know your neighbors, who can offer what and band together in case of emergency (Ron's 'tribe' up in the mountains is the exact same thing). 

It's kind of funny. After the Swine Flu outbreak a decade or so ago, I took a look at my own situation. It wasn't bad here, but there were a lot of reports of how widespread the shutdown in Mexico was. Lots of stuff got closed down, even grocery stores. 
I tried to evaluate what sorts of disasters I'd be at risk for, and what could & should I do.
Earthquakes, floods & hurricanes simply aren't a real threat here. Tornadoes, but those tend to be localized. My house & neighborhood might get blasted off to Oz, but not the entire town. A couple grocery stores might get flattened, but there's others in the neighboring towns. 
Power here is from the local hydro facility. No worries about coal or other fuel supplies. They've said in the past that they can supply the town and pretty much isolate us from the rest of the grid if needed. 

Honestly, the biggest threat I could identify was either widespread civil unrest (unlikely) or a pandemic. 

So I made sure that I was in a position that I could be safe and reasonably comfortable in my house for an extended period of time. 
All I really did was slowly stock up on food that would last well. I'd buy 2 or 3 extra cans of soup, stew or what ever; and extra box of pasta or bag of rice, a couple extra bottles of water. Some extra frozen stuff, but not a whole lot. I can't really justify a generator. I've lost power a handful of times in the 17 years I've been in this house, and never for more than a couple hours. 
That stuff got stashed down in the basement. Basic supplies like soap, TP, paper towels, ect are something I've always kept a couple months supply on hand. 
Store what you eat, eat what you store is a good piece of advice. 

I wondered if I was being over-cautious, but I also figured that if I lost my job or something like that, I'd have enough food for a while if money got tight.

"Disaster" has a wide variety of meanings. 

However, during this pandemic, stores never shut down. Stupid people panic buying all sorts of stuff made for spot shortages here & there. But production and supply chains never shut down (I drive truck - I see how much stuff is being shipped & delivered). So the idea of not being able to get essentials for an extended period never materialized. 

But it was actually pretty nice to not have to worry.

2 hours ago, yoink said:

I have that, but also have a home brew system and 70 liters of beer currently conditioning. ;) 

We have enough beer to last years - although by the end it would only be the stuff that ages well (barleywines, stouts, porters, sours.)

The other part to prepping is what can you do without, and what can you improvise. Frankly, I love improvising, and I can build stuff (I have a decent-sized scrap pile right now ^.^). So there isn't a lot I'm uncomfortable with not having, other than a toilet, basic food and enough heat. "Enough" is a relative term -- we have a basement, so that really just means that we would need to hunker down there together if it got really cold. Water can be purified, and we have a whole river a mile away. I can crap in a hole or an outhouse (I've done it backpacking), but good sanitary facilities contribute to a community's health. 

Wendy P.

Just now, wmw999 said:

Water can be purified, and we have a whole river a mile away.

That was actually one of the (minor) reasons we chose this house - it is on a canyon, and at the bottom of the canyon is one of the few year-round streams in San Diego.  

It is comforting to see that some folks are taking SHTF seriously. 

The month of November will reveal much of what is going to intensify in the coming year.

I attended a weekend conference on counter-terrorism in America conducted by a CIA, Department of Defense expert because that is what we are facing. BLM and Antifa are the most visible and useful pawns in the overall strategy.

Remember Ephesians 6:10-20

The Whole Armor of God

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.  Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the [b]wiles of the devil.  For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of [c]the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.  Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness,  and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;  above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.  And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;  praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—  and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel,  for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

Edited by RonD1120

49 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

I attended a weekend conference on counter-terrorism in America conducted by a CIA, Department of Defense expert because that is what we are facing. BLM and Antifa are the most visible and useful pawns in the overall strategy.

I'm guessing that your expert is neither CIA nor DOD.

1 hour ago, RonD1120 said:

Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness,  and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;  above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.  And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;  praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—  and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel,  for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

That's some pretty big talk you got going on there.  'specially for a guy hiding out in the hills. How much did the "CIA-DOD expert" charge you for this little pep talk and rally? Sucker. Using up all your government benefits to listen to a con man.

Edited by gowlerk

52 minutes ago, billvon said:

We have enough beer to last years - although by the end it would only be the stuff that ages well (barleywines, stouts, porters, sours.)

Just focus on the booze, all else will be delivered to your door by Amazon Home Prepper.

3 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Just focus on the booze, all else will be delivered to your door by Amazon Home Prepper.

https://www.amazon.com/Prepper-Supplies/s?k=Prepper+Supplies

You can buy "50 year water", only 17 cents an oz. I kid you not.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Can-Premium-Emergency-Drinking/dp/B00M9O9HTK/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=Prepper+Supplies&qid=1601416376&sr=8-8

Edited by gowlerk

2 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

It is comforting to see that some folks are taking SHTF seriously. 

The month of November will reveal much of what is going to intensify in the coming year.

CSIS June 2020: "The United States faces a growing terrorism problem that will likely worsen over the next year. Based on a CSIS data set of terrorist incidents, the most significant threat likely comes from white supremacists"

Department of Homeland Security, Sept 2020:  “Lone offenders and small cells of individuals motivated by a diverse array of social, ideological, and personal factors will pose the primary terrorist threat to the United States,.  Among these groups, we assess that white supremacist extremists – who increasingly are networking with likeminded persons abroad – will pose the most persistent and lethal threat.”

FBI, June 2019: Qanon is a “domestic terror threat” because of "its potential to incite extremist violence." . . ."The FBI assesses these conspiracy theories very likely will emerge, spread, and evolve in the modern information marketplace, occasionally driving both groups and individual extremists to carry out criminal or violent acts."

So look in the mirror if you want to see where the threat to America is coming from.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wmw999 said:

The other part to prepping is what can you do without, and what can you improvise. Frankly, I love improvising, and I can build stuff (I have a decent-sized scrap pile right now ^.^). So there isn't a lot I'm uncomfortable with not having, other than a toilet, basic food and enough heat. "Enough" is a relative term -- we have a basement, so that really just means that we would need to hunker down there together if it got really cold. Water can be purified, and we have a whole river a mile away. I can crap in a hole or an outhouse (I've done it backpacking), but good sanitary facilities contribute to a community's health. 

Wendy P.

Water is everything really. There are so many things you can do without but water is not one of them. As I have gotten more into backpacking/camping over the years I've realized that, on the day to day, I use so much more than I really need in order to get by. If S really hits the F I know how long I can stretch out a little bit of it. If water was out at my place and I couldn't use the toilet, well, I guess I'd be borrowing some of my cat's supply of litter, lol.

I also agree with you as far as sticking with my community through whatever happens. If things get really bad, I think efforts at maintaining some local area of solidarity will be worthwhile and the right thing to do. I have an older couple that lives next to me and I can't see myself abandoning them, no matter how bad things get, even if it puts me at some disadvantage.

15 hours ago, billvon said:

Based on a CSIS data set of terrorist incidents, the most significant threat likely comes from white supremacists"

We are not racists, and not concerned with skin color. Any terrorist threatening our safety, property, or well-being will be dealt with. We have LE back up on our position. And vice versa, we will back up the LEOs.

49 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

We are not racists, and not concerned with skin color. Any terrorist threatening our safety, property, or well-being will be dealt with. We have LE back up on our position. And vice versa, we will back up the LEOs.

I have LE backup on my position too, Ron. If I pick up the phone and dial 911 the cops come. 

21 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Oh, come on Professor.

Remember the 'backyard fallout shelters' back in the 50s & 60s? (before my time)

Not before mine, however we didn't have one.

But given Kruschev's threat "we will bury you" and banging his shoe on the podium at the UN, along with USSR's detonation of the 50 Megaton Tsar Bomba in October 1961, the Cuban Missile Crisis, etc. these were, IMO, more legitimate  actions than the current prepper craze.

Edited by kallend
Added link to Tsar Bomba video

8 minutes ago, kallend said:

But given Kruschev's threat "we will bury you" and banging his shoe on the podium at the UN, along with USSR's detonation of the 50 Megaton Tsar Bomba in October 1961, the Cuban Missile Crisis, etc. these were, IMO, more legitimate  actions than the current prepper craze.

Hi John,

Hmmm, now who does Kruschev's antics remind you of?  Uh, just maybe someone in the recent 'debate?'

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Re:   Kruschev's threat "we will bury you" and banging his shoe on the podium at the UN - What a clown

1 hour ago, RonD1120 said:

I didn't say that you are a racist.  However, you do support a terrorist organization that has already taken action against the USA, in the form of terrorist threats, shooting up buildings and murders.  Your reasons for supporting them are your own.

On 9/28/2020 at 8:23 AM, yoink said:

We've got a couple of months of MREs and additional long shelf life food as well as water stashed away. Plenty of stuff like powdered milk, sugar and coffee too. I also bought a really good water filter / purifier.

I tend to have 3 month supplies of medications on hand all the time, so that's not too much of an issue for me.

The generator would be helpful, but I do wonder if in that situation being the only house in the neighborhood with lights and AC doesn't make you MORE of a target.

I really need to do a load of wildfire prevention this year. 

Good point dear wonk,

The best way to discourage generator thieves is to turn off all your lights at sunset. If you leave lights off until dawn, they won't know that you have a generator, nor they will try to steal it. Dark curtains help make your electrified house look boring. Or perhaps you only light one room in the basement at night.

It also helps if you install your generator in a sound-deadening enclosure so that passers-by cannot hear it.

Finally, if you want to share enough electricity with your neighbours, run extension cords out to fence posts - on the corners of your property. Nail those extension cords to the back-side of fence posts so they are not visible to pedestrians. Even better, route longer extension cords to your neighbours' fence.

Store your gasoline - or diesel fuel - in a separate shed, well away from your house and generator ... to reduce the risk of catastrophic fires. Finally, the harder your generator shed, the less likely that generator thieves will steal your power source.

Just this morning, President Trump warned against violence by left-wing Antifa nearing the November election. Granted, antifa may be a bunch of violent thugs with little political agenda. Many antifa members just enjoy a good riot.

OTOH, I fear right-wing KKK just as much.

Sad how American society has polarized under President Trump's reign.

3 hours ago, kallend said:

Not before mine, however we didn't have one.

The Tzar Bomba did not kill 200,000+ Americans and cause a run on toilet paper and ammunition and shut down our economy. 

Edited by brenthutch

18 hours ago, murps2000 said:

Water is everything really. There are so many things you can do without but water is not one of them. As I have gotten more into backpacking/camping over the years I've realized that, on the day to day, I use so much more than I really need in order to get by. If S really hits the F I know how long I can stretch out a little bit of it. If water was out at my place and I couldn't use the toilet, well, I guess I'd be borrowing some of my cat's supply of litter, lol.

I also agree with you as far as sticking with my community through whatever happens. If things get really bad, I think efforts at maintaining some local area of solidarity will be worthwhile and the right thing to do. I have an older couple that lives next to me and I can't see myself abandoning them, no matter how bad things get, even if it puts me at some disadvantage.

Especially in fire prone areas.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, billvon said:

I didn't say that you are a racist.  However, you do support a terrorist organization that has already taken action against the USA, in the form of terrorist threats, shooting up buildings and murders.  Your reasons for supporting them are your own.

Not true.