2 2
skybytch

Prepping?

5 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Of course, I'd be standing stock still holding a case with a bullseye on it to ease your job. And then what would you do with the booty Rambo? Save your shot for someone with a case of Old Milwaukie and a bus ticket.

I actually like you, a lot.  Even though we have our differences, politically, I think you are a stand up guy and I would invite you into my home any day. (As long as you would share some of your wine)^_^

Edited by brenthutch

23 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I have 20 cases of fine Oregon Pinot, French Burgundies and a fuel bladder ready to load into a 200kt 850HP Caravan. I'll also bring some cash and my trusty Beretta 1301 Tactical. Add to that some nice chow in the cooler bags and a few piss bottles and it should be a pleasant trip. Good luck with your water filter and peanut butter.

Winnipeg is a fine safe place to visit in the winter. But pitch the weapons out the door when you cross the 49th parallel. You won't need them when you visit me here. I'll supply some of Gimli's finest Crown Royal and help you with Pinot. It'll be a grand old time.

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

Winnipeg is a fine safe place to visit in the winter. But pitch the weapons out the door when you cross the 49th parallel. You won't need them when you visit me here. I'll supply some of Gimli's finest Crown Royal and help you with Pinot. It'll be a grand old time.

I recall one night I was there on business in November and crossing the street in the Peg, I think it was from the Inn at the Forks. A fine, cold rain was blowing hard but it was only a road to cross to shelter so I went for it. On the other side of the road my left side was dead bone dry and the right was soaking, dripping wet. Damndest thing.

39 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Last time I mixed Canadians w Crown Royal was when I was in the 82nd. A Canadian Para, Jim B. who I had run into previously in Belgium and Turkey showed up at Bragg as part of an exchange.  Long story short, his ration of Crown was imbibed, rappelling out of the third floor ensued, MPs were summoned and when I woke up the next day there were footprints on my ceiling.

Edited by brenthutch

13 hours ago, murps2000 said:

I have cousins in Texas who are prepping for the election. They expect that Trump will win a second term, and they fully expect the left to riot nationwide when that happens.

Its gonna get nasty regardless of who wins.  Too much anger and hate from either side.  Makes me even happier to live far from an urban/suburban blot on the landscape. 

12 hours ago, billvon said:

They are already priming the pump for that.  Trump's new Postmaster General is doing his best to muck up the post office so if Trump loses he can say "the postal service failed!  I would have won except the democrats messed things up purposely!"  Look for every single Post Office problem to be the subject of tweets between now and election day.  The more doubt they can sow the better.

Make The Post Office Great Again.  :tongue::tongue::tongue:

11 hours ago, brenthutch said:

For the luxury minded, a generator and a few hundred gallons of fuel, (A solar panel or two would not be out of order, but don’t tell BillV)

I'd call a generator an essential, not a luxury.  There are solar generators out there so fuel wouldn't be an issue.  

We still need to get battery backup for the solar. Hopefully we don't need it this year. But even with that, there could still be a need for additional power options. Two is one, one is none. 

11 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I have 20 cases of fine Oregon Pinot, French Burgundies and a fuel bladder ready to load into a 200kt 850HP Caravan. I'll also bring some cash and my trusty Beretta 1301 Tactical. Add to that some nice chow in the cooler bags and a few piss bottles and it should be a pleasant trip. Good luck with your water filter and peanut butter.

Stop by and pick me up. Got a nice collection of good scotch and some excellent cabernet from the winery down the road to offer and I promise I won't fart in the aircraft

Edited by skybytch

11 hours ago, brenthutch said:

BTW w my AR-15 or my 6.5cm RPR, I could have all of your booty if the notion took me.  A shotgun doesn’t do much past a hundred yards.

Love my AR (I call it my pirate gun... arrrrr).  But for a long term no factory ammo available mid range option, a PC9 9mm is hard to beat.  Same rounds as our Glocks means one caliber to reload instead of two, and it's a great choice for taking out critters. Or two legged intruders.

Although I will pull out the pirate if that damned gopher pops his head up in front of me. 

Frankly, my SHTF plans (such as they are) actually do include building community with my neighbors; it's the only way that things will get somewhat better, even if only in small pockets to begin with. We have some family within bike distance (which is the max I'd consider to be SHTF distance), so we can get together as a nucleus. Yeah, it's somewhat risky, but so are most good things.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Frankly, my SHTF plans (such as they are) actually do include building community with my neighbors; it's the only way that things will get somewhat better, even if only in small pockets to begin with.

That's a part of our plan too. Most of our neighbors are pretty self-reliant but we come together for things like finding a lost dog and creating/keeping stocked an open to all food pantry to take care of those not able to work right now (our chickens have been happy to contribute :tongue:) .

I expect the same would happen in any SHTF situation.  

49 minutes ago, skybytch said:

Love my AR (I call it my pirate gun... arrrrr).  But for a long term no factory ammo available mid range option, a PC9 9mm is hard to beat.  Same rounds as our Glocks means one caliber to reload instead of two

I have a KelTec sub 2k, not only does it take the same round as my Glock, it takes the same magazines and as a bonus it folds in half and fits into s laptop case.

5F6ED79F-2E10-4D6A-A986-897F27F69674.jpeg

27 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I have a KelTec sub 2k, not only does it take the same round as my Glock, it takes the same magazines and as a bonus it folds in half and fits into s laptop case.

5F6ED79F-2E10-4D6A-A986-897F27F69674.jpeg

Hmmm... cheaper than the Ruger too. 

Damn you.  There goes my new sewing machine...

1 minute ago, skybytch said:

Hmmm... cheaper than the Ruger too. 

Damn you.  There goes my new sewing machine...

I did upgrade the trigger, trigger guard, buffer, charging handle and feed ramp which puts it north of the Ruger, price wise.  And although it goes bang every time you pull the trigger, it is not as refined as the PC9.

16 minutes ago, kallend said:

A thread that perfectly illustrates Trump's America!

Psychology Reveals the Comforts of the Apocalypse

"The initial response to any hint of alarm is fear. This is the architecture with which we’re built," Lissek says. Over evolutionary history, organisms with a better-safe-than-sorry approach survive....

Doomsday preppers who assemble their bunker and canned food, Lissek believes, are engaged in goal-oriented behaviors, which are a proven therapy in times of trouble....certain apocalyptic beliefs are also at the heart of conspiracy theories—for example, the belief that government agencies know about an impending disaster and are intentionally hiding this fact to prevent panic....

"One trait I see linking the two is the feeling of powerlessness, often connected to a mistrust in authority," Douglas says. Among conspiracy theorists, these convictions of mistrust and impotence make their conspiracies more precious—and real. "People feel like they have knowledge that others do not."

In today's complicated world with terrorism, war, fiscal cliffs and climate change, people are primed for panic."All of this uncertainty and all of this fear comes together and people think maybe life would be better" after a disaster,'

With a President whose M.O. is fear, who ignores the catastrophe of global warming. This is the natural outcome.

13 minutes ago, kallend said:

A thread that perfectly illustrates Trump's America!

Yes Trump is responsible for the riots in Democrat controlled cities and the defund the police movement.  Not to mention, his pledge to ban popular firearms has lead to an unprecedented run on guns and ammunition resulting in nationwide shortages of both.  I can’t wait until Biden gets into office, I have my eye on a Ruger AR-556 MPR.

26 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Psychology Reveals the Comforts of the Apocalypse

"The initial response to any hint of alarm is fear. This is the architecture with which we’re built," Lissek says. Over evolutionary history, organisms with a better-safe-than-sorry approach survive....

Climate alarmists who put up solar panels, drive electric vehicles and shop at Whole Foods,  Lissek believes, are engaged in goal-oriented behaviors, which are a proven therapy in times of trouble....certain apocalyptic beliefs are also at the heart of man made global warming theories—for example, the belief that fossil fuel companies  know about an impending disaster and are intentionally hiding this fact...

"One trait I see linking the two is the feeling of powerlessness, often connected to a mistrust in large corporations " Douglas says. Among conspiracy theorists, these convictions of mistrust and impotence make their conspiracies more precious—and real. "People feel like they have knowledge that others do not." (“We literally have only twelve years to save the planet”)

In today's complicated world with BLM, Antifa, Extinction Rebellion and Greta Thunberg, people are primed for panic."All of this uncertainty and all of this fear comes together and people think maybe life would be better" after a disaster,'

Edited by brenthutch