mircan

What caused this malfunction?

Last Sunday I had a spinning malfunction.
Just after opening, canopy started fast spin to the right (360 degrees every ~1.5 second).
At that time I thought it was brake fire, so I reached to unstow the breaks. After unstowing canopy continued to spin for a while, but I pumped breaks some more and it stopped.
Later that evening, after reviewing photos, I realized that it was not brake fire, but that the upper brake lines got entangled with C/D lines. See picture>>
[inline what.jpg]
After this, I did 3 more jumps without problems.
My question is: What caused this? Was this tension knot? Bad packing?
Canopy is JFX 104, HMA lines, vectran brake lines.
Any info is appreciated (so that i ensure that it does not happen in the future).
Thanks
dudeist skydiver #42

If you follow the lines the outside c, the next c line, the next two c/d cascades, and the steering line cascade are all 'tied' up together. That's a lot for a tension knot and I don't see any loose material. A tension knot is like a slip knot. Usually there is a loose loop somewhere but I don't see one. All of those lines show up next to each other during packing. Its a little hard to figure out what might have held them and released. It still could have been a tension knot. Hard to think what else but again that's a lot of lines to be 'knotted' together.

Look at all those lines for damage.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

theonlyski

When was the last time you untwisted your steering lines?

Untwisted them jump before this one. I check them every couple of jumps and always set them just after landing.

Will look for damage, but I packed it three times after this, so probably should have seen something.
dudeist skydiver #42

Untwisted them jump before this one. I check them every couple of jumps and always set them just after landing.

So I'm clear, you set your brakes "just after landing" Yet you state that you check them every couple of jumps? So I'm left to believe when you re-pack you unstow your toggles, then untwist your brake lines, and reset your toggles in the risers after untwisting the brake lines? I do the same thing, how ever I check mine each and every jump. The alternative just ain't worth it.

You got it. I set my brakes right after landing (off the hand and straight into the toggle keeper), not giving them opportunity to twist.
After that, when I get to packing area I always do a visual check before packing.
And every couple of jumps, I unstow them again before packing and untwist them (if there is need for it).
I know, it`s very anal...
dudeist skydiver #42

Had the same thing happen to me twice on a JFX 114. One popped out and the other I chopped. Not a tension knot but an entanglement with the C/D lines.

I changed how I packed the tail and the problem stopped. i was pushing the tail into the centre of the pack job. Stopped that and it stopped.
Journey not destination.....

It is a Tension knot you might look at the cascade on the brake for damage or something protruding but you probably wont find anything. The second inboard brake line is not fully extended and the outboard C line looks to be thru the brake-line cascade and wrapped around a couple more D and C lines on the other side. Flake that tail and clear your brake lines.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421