2 2
Bigfalls

Presidental Debate

21 minutes ago, billeisele said:

If it doesn't he'll have to own it. But if it passes will you post a retraction and applaud?

Trick question - Trump NEVER owns any failure. It's always someone else's fault.

I know you were addressing Phil1111 but I'll take you up on that - not the retraction because I haven't said anything, but I'll applaud if the stimulus passes.

5 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

You have trump's talking points down to a T.

T as in turtlespeed?

(edited)
2 hours ago, billeisele said:

I agree with you. It shouldn't have happened.

So how do you feel about Benghazi, the email server, the Clinton foundation, and the unfolding news on Hunter?

Benghazi/email - EIGHT congressional committees run by Republicans found NO evidence of wrongdoing.  The FBI found no wrongdoing despite being led by a lifelong Republican.  She was NOT locked up by the incoming administration.

Clinton Foundation.  No court has shut it down for "a shocking pattern of illegality", unlike the Trump Foundation.  Neither were its principals required to take a course on how not to steal from childrens' charities, unlike the Trump Foundation.

Hunter - looks increasingly like Russian misinformation and that Giuliani was duped.

Edited by kallend
Fixed up the quote from the court.

1 hour ago, billeisele said:

Yep, that would be interesting to see. He clearly said it would pass. If it doesn't he'll have to own it. But if it passes will you post a retraction and applaud?

What I think he was doing was calling out Pelosi. She doesn't want it to pass so has loaded it with non-virus things that she knows are unacceptable to Trump. The funding to bail out failed Democrat run states is an example.

She wants to be able to continue to say, "We're trying, Trump doesn't care about Americans, he doesn't care, the Republicans aren't negotiating fairly, etc." I think she should look in the mirror. 

Wouldn't it be nice to have actions that didn't have unrelated topics tied together? This is an ongoing problem in Washington, nothing new.

To Occam's Razor and Hobson's Choice we can now add Jakee's Posit. Yes, I'll write a retraction, and do it in Presidential ALL CAP'S, if that's more satisfying. But I'm not too worried.

Certainly, the stimulus boondoggle is Pelosi's doing. She's just being a bitch. Of course when the President does it, when he's all over the map with yes and no and more and less, it's called negotiating. You caught that part of his BS stream, yes? And try to remember that it's those poorly run Democrat States that are paying in those extra Federal tax dollars to be spread around.

Do you really believe that after all the denials, lawsuits, disclosures, press and on and on over just the last four years he doesn't know to whom he owes $431,000, 000? Do you really believe he doesn't know when he last tested negative before the debate and if he was positive when he arrived too late to be tested? And do you really believe that Trump knows nothing more about QAnon than they are opposed to pedophilia? Do you really believe he isn't a shameless, bald faced liar?

2 hours ago, billeisele said:

Interesting list of five items. But noted that you didn't comment on the missed opportunity on race relations.

Yes, he definitely did not do as much as he could for race relations.  Nor did he solve the problems in the Middle East or get magnetic-confinement fusion to work.  What he did accomplish, though, was fairly impressive - and the economic recovery was a huge benefit to hundreds of millions of Americans.

Healthcare that's turned out to not be working for most.

It's working for most people - and more importantly there are now tens of millions more people with health coverage.  I agree it's not perfect.  But "not perfect" is better than "none."

Ebola - don't remember the history but it was during his watch.

Yep.  And when Ebola reared its head in Africa we sent medical teams there to treat cases, but more importantly learn about the disease, how it progresses and how to treat it.  And when it appeared in the US we were ready with isolation procedures, treatment procedures and facilities.    Seven cases total, one death.  Imagine what would have happened if the first response of the US was to deny it was a threat.  "It's just a fever!  You've had a fever, right?"

Spending, uhh NO. It's nuts how many hand maidens Michelle had compared to what the current admin is doing.

I have no idea what you are talking about.  But the facts are the spending went down under Obama - a LOT.  Spending went up under Trump - a LOT.

The government has been bloated for years.

Agreed.  It got less bloated under Obama.  It got a lot more bloated under Trump.  Yes, the military wastes a lot of money.  And did you hear?  Trump gave us a whole NEW military branch to waste money.

3 hours ago, billeisele said:

So how do you feel about Benghazi, the email server, the Clinton foundation, and the unfolding news on Hunter?

Benghazi - Americans were attacked in Libya.  There is no evidence that this was anything other than our enemies attacking us.  No one has found any evidence that the response was hampered by the White House, or that the White House had anything to do with the attack. It was a sad loss for America.  So was 9/11 and Mogadishu.

The Clinton Foundation - a pretty good charity, better than most.  I don't contribute.

Email server - a non story.  They are trying to recycle a story from four years ago.  It was a non-story then, it is a non-story now.  (In fact, US intelligence actually warned the US that Russia would try disinformation like that to support Trump again.)  You are hearing about it because Trump simply has nothing else to talk about.  If he were effective he'd be leading the charge to slow down COVID-19 before flu season really kicks in and Thanksgiving rolls around; that way he could point to that and say "See?  I am being effective!  Not like Biden!"  But he's not capable of that, and people are realizing that - which is why he is dropping so fast in the polls.  So this is all he has.

News on Hunter - again a non-story.  Of course Hunter is going to try to sell his influence.  Everyone does.  All the Trump kids do, all the time.  Ivanka used taxpayer dollars (and Kellyanne Conway) to sell Chinese shoes through the White House.  Kushner's sister said that if foreigners bought Kushner condos, Jared Kushner would use his connections to fast-track their immigration into the US, bypassing all those lengthy background checks and whatnot.

And even the story is silly.  A blind guy saw Hunter Biden drop off a laptop at his shop, so the blind guy called Rudy Giuliani?  Really?  That's the best story they could come up with?  I have a feeling poor Rudy screwed up the Google Translate of the original Cyrillic instructions on how to "find" this material.  He's not exactly tech-savvy.

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

To Occam's Razor and Hobson's Choice we can now add Jakee's Posit. 

Looks more like a Joe's Obsession though doesn't it?

Yes, I'll write a retraction, and do it in Presidential ALL CAP'S, if that's more satisfying. But I'm not too worried.

Because you'll find any excuse not to, obviously;)

17 hours ago, billeisele said:

Well, let's start with these.

Jakee did a good job of listing a couple serious items for Hillary: Benghazi, and the emails. I'd add her fraudulent non-profit to that list.

For Obama, here are three items: He can't just shut up and go away like most others have done. He had his eight years and accomplished little.

He had a golden opportunity to make significant improvements in race relations. Instead he and Eric Holder totally goofed on Ferguson. https://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/obamas-ferguson-sellout-9058.html

He is a great speaker. His many years as a community organizer definitely show. But giving a great speech is just the first step. It must be followed up with action to back the words. In most cases that never occurred.

In fairness, I could list things that I don't like about Trump. I could also list huge successes in spite of the constant political roadblocks that have been thrown in his path. The recent Middle East peace accord is epic. It's not perfect but it's a start. 

I think Obama was hamstrung by the GOP led senate which blocked a lot of his initiatives. Like his SCOTUS nominee, as an example of blocking, followed up this year by blatant hypocrisy.. 

1 hour ago, obelixtim said:

I think Obama was hamstrung by the GOP led senate which blocked a lot of his initiatives. Like his SCOTUS nominee, as an example of blocking, followed up this year by blatant hypocrisy.. 

Well.... after the midterm in 2010 there was this guy, from Moscow I think, who was the Senate Majority Leader. And he did announce that he would do everything in his power to thwart anything Obama tried to do. And he was pretty good at doing just that. Except for keeping Obama as a one term POTUS that is. He failed there.

(edited)

The town hall audience was supposed to comprise undecided voters.  In case you are wondering about the "undecided voter" behind Trump repeatedly nodding her head in agreement with Trump, she is a well known Miami pro-Trump activist.  She ran for Congress (as an independent) with a Trump supporter stance.  She has posted a video clip of her enthusing to Trump after the debate.

I guess she was just undecided whether to vote for him one time or two.

Edited by headoverheels

On 10/15/2020 at 7:00 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Robert,

And in both cases, the fly flew away because it could not find any shit to land on.

Jerry Baumchen

Actually - it was so putrid, not even a shit loving fly could stand it any longer.

With Pence - it was just the right amount of shit.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Actually - it was so putrid, not even a shit loving fly could stand it any longer.

With Pence - it was just the right amount of shit.

So basically the fly was a true Republican. Scared of strong women, scared of black people, but very attracted to empty headed old white men.

And here's how he will do it - by demanding changes to the debate.  He hasn't pulled out yet, but per The Hill: "it could raise questions about the president's plans to appear if the commission does not agree to adjust the topics."

That way he can say "I was 100% ready to debate but Sleepy Joe was afraid of the topics!  So it's his fault that we can't have the debate."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-campaign-demands-change-to-final-debate-topics/ar-BB1abDNy?li=BBnb7Kz&fbclid=IwAR0sY9lRIscBnsk7QvE4RDIynzjhaEGojmunYFFed3ch86is2iXAU5oD5IQ

Well, if Trump bails, I'd love to see Biden call him out on it.

Say that he tried to change the rules and chickened out when he couldn't get his way.
Then Biden should put his hands in his armpits and wave his elbows while making "buck buck" noises. 

No. It won't happen.
Yes, it would be juvenile an probably counterproductive. 

But I'd just love to see Trump's reaction to being called 'chicken'. 

Realistically, he could probably get a good reaction and not be counterproductive by simply saying Trump was afraid to debate when he couldn't change the rules or break them. 

20 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Well, if Trump bails, I'd love to see Biden call him out on it.

Say that he tried to change the rules and chickened out when he couldn't get his way.
Then Biden should put his hands in his armpits and wave his elbows while making "buck buck" noises. 

No. It won't happen.
Yes, it would be juvenile an probably counterproductive. 

But I'd just love to see Trump's reaction to being called 'chicken'. 

Realistically, he could probably get a good reaction and not be counterproductive by simply saying Trump was afraid to debate when he couldn't change the rules or break them. 

Hi Joe,

He sure as H*** did not follow the rules in the earlier debate.*

Jerry Baumchen

* Few actually do.

On 10/19/2020 at 5:07 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Just heard on the news that the moderator will be able to mute the microphone of the debaters.

Only about 20 yrs too late.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi folks,

I was somewhat wrong.  It now looks like the mike(s) will be muted only during the opening comments.  Too bad, it was a chance to have something somewhat like a real debate.  Once again, America loses.

Jerry Baumchen