2 2
Bigfalls

Presidental Debate

4 hours ago, kallend said:

I don't recall belligerence and bullying being part of the instructions for debate that I had - but that was a long time ago.

I thing the very first question in the next debate should be: "Do you agree to comply by the rules that your campaign agreed to?  Yes or no?"  And at the first violation, the event ends.

While I agree with Trigirl and this, a more practical solution would be a hockey style penalty. Two minutes in the quiet box, i.e. mike is cut off for two minutes giving the other party the opportunity to talk about anything.

Edited by Phil1111
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil1111 said:

While I agree with Trigirl and this a more practical solution would be a hockey style penalty. Two minutes in the quiet box, i.e. mike is cut off for two minutes giving the other party the opportunity to talk about anything.

The Presidential Debate Commission has announced that they are studying possible new measures to get the next debates under some kind of order and control. If they actually happen after this debacle.

The debates won't change anyone's minds as to whom they will support in November.  That being said the next debate should be held in the old $64,000 question studio.  Both candidates in soundproof booths and the mod has control of the mics.  Maybe even a shock collar on each candidate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, airdvr said:

That being said the next debate should be held in the old $64,000 question studio.  Both candidates in soundproof booths and the mod has control of the mics.  Maybe even a shock collar on each candidate.

I'd stay up late to watch that one!

Wendy P.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, airdvr said:

The debates won't change anyone's minds as to whom they will support in November.  That being said the next debate should be held in the old $64,000 question studio.  Both candidates in soundproof booths and the mod has control of the mics.  Maybe even a shock collar on each candidate.

The next debate is in a town hall format. That should make some sort of difference.

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Watched the whole thing. Agreed with CNN's summation, it was a shit show.

Biden come across as old, just old. Hard to rally behind him I find.

Trump is classless, clueless, crass, racist. All the things that we all knew about him already. All the things his supporters love about him. All the things people who say they don't really support him, but sort of do, tolerate because it still serves their purpose. He fully embodied the American caricature.

The whole thing was a disgrace an utter total disgrace.

Lastly, there is no doubt now that Trump is a racist. He has now made it abundantly clear. hence, as far as I am concerned, any supporter of trump is a racist as well.

Not even touching on Trump's attacks on Biden's sons.

Hi Sky,

I absolutely agree.  I hate to say it, but Joe did look old.

It's the lesser of two evils.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi folks,

Most of you probably did not really notice Trump's statement that the sheriff of Portland, OR had asked him to send in federales again.

So, the late news last nite had the Multnomah County ( not the city of Portland ) sheriff on tv.  He said that it was a total fabrication by Trump and that he had not voted for Trump the last time and was not going to vote for him this time.

Liars gotta lie.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Portland, OR lies within the boundaries of Multnomah County.

Hi folks,

Probably more of the same, but I found this commentary interesting:

1. Even for Trump, he went too far

2. Trump likely did nothing to expand beyond his base

3. Biden missed opportunities

4. Trump tried to tie Biden to the far left, but it didn't work

5. Trump's response on his handling of COVID-19 was more of the same

6. Good luck to the next moderator

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/30/918500976/trump-derails-first-presidential-debate-with-biden-and-5-other-takeaways

Jerry Baumchen

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

The Presidential Debate Commission has announced that they are studying possible new measures to get the next debates under some kind of order and control. If they actually happen after this debacle.

The Trump campaign has already whined that this changing the rules in midstream and is being done to benefit Biden.

As if Trump obeyed the existing rules in the first place.

IMO the next two should be canceled as DJT has turned debate into a fiasco.

3 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

While I agree with Trigirl and this, a more practical solution would be a hockey style penalty. Two minutes in the quiet box, i.e. mike is cut off for two minutes giving the other party the opportunity to talk about anything.

Better yet have just one microphone and drop it between them for a Hockey style face off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, airdvr said:

The key is to ignore the style and focus on the issue at hand.  It's difficult to be sure.

I don't know about you, but I think oneof the major issues is that a sitting president gave what sure sounded like operational orders to a violent white supremacist group that's been classified as 'domestic terrorists' by the FBI.
Those stupid racists sure took it that way. Apparently, they've already put "Stay back and stand by" on a patch.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I don't know about you, but I think oneof the major issues is that a sitting president gave what sure sounded like operational orders to a violent white supremacist group that's been classified as 'domestic terrorists' by the FBI.
Those stupid racists sure took it that way. Apparently, they've already put "Stay back and stand by" on a patch.

Then you know about me, that's sure. No GOP Senator up for election should be allowed to avoid addressing the issue between now and November 3. Again and again. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Mostly those who live in a divided society and perceive those who don't already have those things as undeserving and feel it is a zero sum game that they will lose when others gain.

10 hours ago, Nataly said:

Or maybe the word has been so vilified that even "rational" people don't understand its true meaning...

I can think of other words like that.  "Feminism" comes to mind.

I think it goes deeper, and it actually is a problem for progressives that we do not really understand the conservative's perspective on these issues and programs. I think they really believe that it is morally wrong to give things to people who have not specifically earned them. They do not see this as helping them at all. They see this as robbing them of the chance of developing the capacity to earn it for themselves (and if they cannot or will not do that, then they see them as simply bad people, who should not be supported in the first place.)
This runs so counter to the idea of sharing and nurturing and supporting, that is central to the progressive model, that we simply think they (the conservatives) are either selfish or stupid or evil--but that misses the point and robs us of an opportunity to influence them where we can. (...or even have a meaningful conversation about these issues)

If anyone has the time, this is a great article, but it requires reading past ⅓ to even get to this point:

George Lakoff on the strict father model

(edited)

I’m just sad that big chunks of the US think that this is OK for presidential behavior, regardless of anything actually said.

Yes, Biden is old. Yes Biden isn’t as sharp as he used to be. But both of those things can be said of Trump as well as the embarrassment he’s causing to the office from simply how he behaves.  He’s someone’s drunk, in-PC uncle who you can cringingly laugh off the two times a year you see him, EXCEPT HE’S THE FUCKING PRESIDENT. 

Talk about a divide in the population expectations.

Edited by yoink