malarame

Naming your canopy

When I bought my rig, one of the questions I asked the guy I bought it from was if the canopy had a name. He looked at me like I was crazy and asked why he would name a canopy. Since then, I've asked a handful of other jumpers if they named their canopies, and I've gotten the same reaction every time (well almost every time. One woman laughed and said her canopy was named "Sabre2").

The way I see it, something as important as a canopy ought to be named. You don't want to show disrespect to something that regularly saves your life, since you never know when it might get angry and turn on you. It's sort of like naming a boat, or even naming a house (which I've seen people do).

So how many of you out there have a name for your canopy? Am I completely crazy for even thinking about it?

And in case you were wondering, mine is named Mary. She's named after the city my dz is located in, Saint Mary's.

If any of mine had a name it was 'piece of shit' when it landed me like crap.;)

Yep... one of my old canopies was an Apache 170. Landed like shit every time. "Piece of shit" is what I called it.

My favorite name for any of my canopies when it gave me a slammer of an opening was "you fucking cocksucker!"

Thankfully, I haven't had a slammer in my last 600 jumps. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

In reference to openings or landings?:)

ThorS sH(l)ammer!

:D:D:D

oh,, and to the OP: yes-yes, you're crazy! i never understood people giving things names, maybe with boats that's fine since its tradition, but naming cars, bikes or "the bride of the solder", thats just plain stupid.. and i make an exclamation for houses too, there's a region here where almost every (old) house has a name..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I've only solo jumped student rigs twice (so far), but when I see the canopy open, I've said, "Sweet!".

When I get my own gear I'll probably name her "Sweet Bitch" or something like that.

I had a while car that I called Whitey or Blanca.
I have a black CR-V that I call the Gato Negro.

;)

Always be kinder than you feel.

mines named "please don't make me spend the rest of the day getting you out of a treeI really need to learn how to pack and/or deploy stable"

Fixed it for ya..
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I've never really thought about a name for my canopy but if one were to come to the front right away I guess it would be

"goddamnyoustopopeningoffheadingforonefuckingjumpokandwhileyoureatitwhynotinflateyourendcellsandletthesliderdownthelinesatthesametimeandbythewaythanksforopeningiloveyou"
Owned by Remi #?

Mine's Frankentron. After the lineover burnt a hole in the bottom skin My master rigger and I were talking about taking the canopy apart to use as a model to bulid another one. We ended up patching to get me through to winter so I told him to use any color except orange so it wouldn't match. It's got a red patch on an orange cell with a pink line attachment.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I call mine Sweetheart. She's always been very, very good to me and I wouldn't offend her...ever again.

She a very jealous girl, though. When I bought a second canopy, she let me know her feelings with a few strange openings. It took a week's worth of sweet-talking and soothing words to get her back to normal. She now understands that the second canopy is only there to take some of the workload off her and that SHE is my first and only love.

I'm very protective of her.

Silly? Maybe. But true.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I have Fred and Zoe.

Fred is definitely a guy. Very simple, straightforward, behaves exactly the same way every single time I jump him, listens to inputs but at his own sweet pace.

Zoe is full of life and energy and definitely a girl. Opens consistently, but always on her own terms. A bit jealous if I jump with Fred or if she doesn't get jumped at least once a week. She's very touchy and sensitive.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda