Binary93

Cameraman caught in drogue bridle, then what?

(edited)
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 12:48 PM, Chiquita said:

I have a question :-) After they separated, and the camera person still has all of that wrapped around their foot when they opened. After they get under canopy it looks like they were trying to get it off their foot, and did, which then got caught in their canopy.

So the question, was removing it the best decision? I know not seeing what, where, and how tight, etc, it all was makes it difficult to say what exactly should be done, but what would you do in that situation?

I would have done the same as the camera guy, who knows what the tandem canopy would do once it caught air.

It could have turned into a downward bi-plane had he not removed it. 

He made it out alive, I think he made the best decision at that moment...

Edited by Nabz
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nabz said:

I have a question :-) After they separated, and the camera person still has all of that wrapped around their foot when they opened. After they get under canopy it looks like they were trying to get it off their foot, and did, which then got caught in their canopy.

So the question, was removing it the best decision? I know not seeing what, where, and how tight, etc, it all was makes it difficult to say what exactly should be done, but what would you do in that situation?

5 hours ago, Nabz said:

I would have done the same as the camera guy, who knows what the tandem canopy would do once it caught air.

It could have turned into a downward bi-plane had he not removed it. 

He made it out alive, I think he made the best decision at that moment...

I agree with Nabz. In any situation like this, there are always a lot of potential variables to consider. If the tandem canopy came out of the bag, it could inflate into a downplane. That it's attached to his leg by the bridle, inflation might be unlikely, but it could still end up entangling with his main, or it could snag something on the ground on his final, causing him to faceplant his landing, many possibilities. Getting it off his foot, it is unlikely that it would end up in his main, but it could and it did. A main thing, and I think it's an important point, is that he opened and executed corrective procedures while he was still high, and thus was able to eventually cut away from the whole mess and end up under his reserve. In any situation like that, altitude equals time, and both are your friend.

• Like 2