1 1
Gators1240

Buy gear after reentering the sport

this has probably been asked a million times but I didn’t see anything recent so I figured I would ask. 

I recently decided to start skydiving again after an 8 year gap. I didn’t have a ton of experience the last time I was jumping (got my a license and 52 jumps before I stopped) so I hadn’t bought gear yet. 

I know I should wait to buy a rig until after a bit of jumping, but I don’t want to wait too long because jumping a bunch of different rigs (rental gear) feels a little inconsistent since each one handles a little differently and I would like to improve my canopy skills with a consistent rig. 

I don’t want to go too small to quick and from what I’ve experience with rental gear (both the first time skydiving and now) there can be a huge difference between the type of mains I could use and how they handle. 

any advice on where to start?

The instructors who have helped you back, ask them to watch a few of your landings and give you some advice on gear that may be suitable.   

Good used gear is a cheaper approach and allows you to gain experience before committing bigger bucks to more long term gear.     This gear can often be sold on to fellow newer jumpers looking for 1st gear when your ready to downsize.

Dont be in a rush to downsize. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, skytribe said:

The instructors who have helped you back, ask them to watch a few of your landings and give you some advice on gear that may be suitable.   

Good used gear is a cheaper approach and allows you to gain experience before committing bigger bucks to more long term gear.     This gear can often be sold on to fellow newer jumpers looking for 1st gear when your ready to downsize.

Dont be in a rush to downsize. 

Thanks! Definitely not planning on downsizing quickly at all, just don’t want to make the mistake of downsizing while going from a student rig to a sports rig. I’ll never forget the first time I switched, it was insane just how much more responsive and powerful it was compared to the slower main I had been using. 

This ties in well with my reply on your other post
Like others have said don't be in a hurry, after 8 years it's almost like your starting from scratch and you will likely change canopy often until you settle for one size.

Used gear market is mostly in the skydiving groups on Facebook, you can also find some in the classifieds here  

I'm giving you a few links to get you started. You can read articles from DZ.com and skydivemag which are very informative

https://www.skydivingcanada.ca/skydive-gear-guide-for-the-first-time-buyer#:~:text=We recommend gear to be,there speak with a coach.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz5jxgF0fB3wUqxIY7ZkbPg

I too started jumping again in April after a 19 year break. With only 330 jumps I wanted something easy to fly and land, and at my age ( 57 ) I wanted something that wouldn’t hurt me on opening. I ended up going with a Pilot 170 loaded at just over 1, and I think it was the right choice. Granted I’ve only put 20 jumps on it, but the openings are soft and on heading ( and I am not a particularly good packer ). It does have a very flat glide which is kind of hard to get used to, I go long most the time, but I’ll figure that out as I get more jumps on her. All in all I don’t think you can go wrong with a Pilot at proper wing loading. 

6 hours ago, Alborne said:

I too started jumping again in April after a 19 year break. With only 330 jumps I wanted something easy to fly and land, and at my age ( 57 ) I wanted something that wouldn’t hurt me on opening. I ended up going with a Pilot 170 loaded at just over 1, and I think it was the right choice. Granted I’ve only put 20 jumps on it, but the openings are soft and on heading ( and I am not a particularly good packer ). It does have a very flat glide which is kind of hard to get used to, I go long most the time, but I’ll figure that out as I get more jumps on her. All in all I don’t think you can go wrong with a Pilot at proper wing loading. 

I’m putting in an order this weekend for a Sabre 3. I’ve heard nothing but good things so far and the Sabre 2 was awesome when I was jumping before. Definitely keeping WL low at around 1.0. I don’t have much desire to downsize or start swooping or anything like that. It’s going to hurt my wallet a bit, but I’m going new for everything. 

I get anxiety about things a lot and I think the piece of mind of going new vs used is worth the cost. I would much rather have a better mindset about my gear than to try and save some money. Biggest downside with the decision is the wait to get it all :)

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. Sometimes  novices don’t think they have anything to offer, but that is not true. Some of these sky gods can land a bed sheet, sometimes it’s helpful to know how a particular canopy treated someone with low jump numbers.  

22 hours ago, Alborne said:

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. Sometimes  novices don’t think they have anything to offer, but that is not true. Some of these sky gods can land a bed sheet, sometimes it’s helpful to know how a particular canopy treated someone with low jump numbers.  

I'll try to remember to let you know sometime in january/february once I get everything