turtlespeed

TikTok

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/19/tech/donald-trump-tiktok-deal-approval/index.html

Trump has approved a plan . . .

What gives him the right to allow or hinder the 1st amendment?

I'm sure there are a lot of things I don't have a clue on - This is just sounding strange.

I don't see how he can force a partial sale.

I honestly haven't kept up with the political side of things, but from a security perspective I lean towards "erase Tiktok from existence ASAP". Every cyber-security opinion I've read on it screams that it's doing data-harvesting on a way bigger scale than anything Facebook or Google are doing, but with barely a fraction of the transparency. Not remotely trustworthy.

8 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/19/tech/donald-trump-tiktok-deal-approval/index.html

Trump has approved a plan . . .

What gives him the right to allow or hinder the 1st amendment?

I'm sure there are a lot of things I don't have a clue on - This is just sounding strange.

I don't see how he can force a partial sale.

How the hell is this a 1st amendment issue?

Other than “we get to have guns” you guys really don’t understand your own constitution very much. 

Like the female GOP politician making statements about how the constitution doesn't get rewritten.....she wouldn’t even get to vote if it didn’t. The stupid is strong. 

Edited by SkyDekker

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

How the hell is this a 1st amendment issue?

Other than “we get to have guns” you guys really don’t understand your own constitution very much. 

Like the female GOP politician making statements about how the constitution doesn't get rewritten.....she wouldn’t even get to vote if it didn’t. The stupid is strong. 

Freedom of expression.

That is achieved through not limiting the press.

Tiktok is as much of a news outlet as anything in the media today - 

6 hours ago, mistercwood said:

I honestly haven't kept up with the political side of things, but from a security perspective I lean towards "erase Tiktok from existence ASAP". Every cyber-security opinion I've read on it screams that it's doing data-harvesting on a way bigger scale than anything Facebook or Google are doing, but with barely a fraction of the transparency. Not remotely trustworthy.

I agree. Think there is enough evidence to show it isn’t an app that I want 

11 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

So, do you think its fair to say that they want control over the data then?

(They = The Gubmint)

First of all, I’m not in the USA so the whole US national security issue is a non issue to me. Secondly at a personal level I do t trust the US government any more than I do the Chinese (the US has a long history of ignoring privacy concerns and trampling all over European data protection laws)

I know full well that Google, Apple  and Facebook collect and exploit data. I have some confidence though that while they exploit it for commercial reasons it is unlikely to be used by governments for tracking and other negative reasons. 
Tik-Tok to me poses a dual threat. Firstly there are known links to China, but I also don’t trust the US government. Being a non US company and platform I can easily see the US exploiting that and harvesting data in the interests of “national security”. The US has proven it has little respect for international law and privacy, I don’t need shit if I need to go to the US and they decide that sharing anti Trump videos etc makes me a risk...

9 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Freedom of expression.

That is achieved through not limiting the press.

Tiktok is as much of a news outlet as anything in the media today - 

Good of you to prove my point. Other than “I get to have guns” you have absolutely no clue about your own constitution. 

If you truly care about the 1st Amendment you may want to get more upset about your President calling a journalist getting shot “a beautiful sight”. 

Edited by SkyDekker

4 hours ago, mistercwood said:

Just chiming in again to provide some background for the security concerns:

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/fxgi06/not_new_news_but_tbh_if_you_have_tiktiok_just_get/?sort=top

I'll take that advice.

Is there anything I should to do to clean it completely off my machines?

Is it just the app?  Are browsers vulnerable as well?

Edited by turtlespeed

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

I'll take that advice.

Is there anything I should to do to clean it completely off my machines?

Is it just the app?  Are browsers vulnerable as well?

I presumed it was app only, didn't know there was a web version? I just wouldn't use it based on what I've read. Same reason I've been lucky being unemployed this year (in some respects), because I wouldn't want to use Zoom either given their track record on security.

21 hours ago, nigel99 said:

I know full well that Google, Apple  and Facebook collect and exploit data. I have some confidence though that while they exploit it for commercial reasons it is unlikely to be used by governments for tracking and other negative reasons. 

Judging by the ads that make it past my ad blockers, the algorithms they use do a very poor job of figuring out what my interests are.  Can  the government be doing much better?

6 hours ago, kallend said:

Judging by the ads that make it past my ad blockers, the algorithms they use do a very poor job of figuring out what my interests are.

That just means that even if your ad blockers aren't blocking ads, they are still blocking access to your data that would be used to determine relevant ads.