1 1
ryoder

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dead at 87

10 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:
19 hours ago, jakee said:

He lost because during the campaign he abandoned many of his principles, chose a nutcase for running mate and tried to chase 'the base' instead of the centre that he normally resonated so well with.

Hi jakee,

^^^^ This

It is always interesting to me when our foreign friends know more about our elections than our own citizens do.

Jerry Baumchen

It was certainly why he lost my vote in 2008.  During the primaries he flipped on all the issues that got me to write him in both in 2000 and 2004.  By the time he got the nomination, and announced his running mate, the deal was sealed. (that, and I had come to realize that the other candidate was qualified and competent, even if we didn't agree on everything)

Edited by TriGirl
added more text

7 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Lean in one way and vote in another and see who wins.  Let’s be honest, after eight years of Bush, the country had grown weary of the Rs, and Obama was the new shiny object.

Not sure that's true, but at least you're conceding that your 'result - he lost' comment was wrong.

40 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

McCain, lost by more than 9.5 million votes.  I hope we can agree that there could have been more than one reason.

Sure but, let's be honest, claiming it was because he pushed back against a racist conspiracy theory isn't one of them.

51 minutes ago, jakee said:

Sure but, let's be honest, claiming it was because he pushed back against a racist conspiracy theory isn't one of them.

From Vox,

“According to the report, audience members booed his defense of his rival and called Obama a “liar” and a “terrorist.”

“I want to fight, and I will fight,” he said. “But I will be respectful. I admire Sen. Obama and his accomplishments, and I will respect him.” 

Obama went on to defeat McCain in the presidential election in November 2008.“

I am pretty sure the segment of his base that was booing him stayed home and contributed to his loss.  Feel free to believe otherwise.

Edited by brenthutch

The segment of his base that booed him was probably far more concerned about that Black Democrat being elected. Republican voter turnout was slightly lower than in 2004 and 2012, but not by orders of magnitude or anything. What really helped Obama was the huge increase in Democratic turnout.

Wendy P.

Edited by wmw999
clarification

36 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I am pretty sure the segment of his base that was booing him stayed home and contributed to his loss.  Feel free to believe otherwise.

You said 'result - he lost'. But it turns out you believe othewise.

13 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

People want easy causes for things; that's why statistics exist, to remind them that easy causes are generally wrong.

Wendy P.

Sometimes the easy cause IS correct.

Totally inadequate US pandemic response:  Trump

Loss of US prestige in the world: Trump

Dirtier air and water: Trump

Tear gassing peaceful protesters for a photo-op: Trump

(I could go on)