1 1
ryoder

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dead at 87

On 9/23/2020 at 7:08 PM, turtlespeed said:

Yes, just like most every one on the left flipping their stance.

I disagree, I think most people on the left hold/held the stance of "we should follow the precedence" 

What has flipped is the precedence and that was the doing of the GOP

Edited by Dr.SkyFall

2 hours ago, Dr.SkyFall said:

I disagree, I think most people on the left hold/held the stance of "we should follow the precedence" 

What has flipped is the precedence and that was the doing of the GOP

There is no way to prove it, but do you think that the democrats would NOT be pushing for a replacement?

On 9/23/2020 at 11:05 AM, brenthutch said:

It’s called realpolitik, you need to wear your big boy pants if you want to play. Nancy Pelosi knows, take a look at how Obamacare was passed after Scott Brown took Ted Kennedy’s seat in the Senate.

In my sailing life I have several Brazilian friends. They have a sardonic saying about Brazilian politics: it's not for beginners.

Just because something is an apparent reality does not mean it's desired or a virtue. Maybe for Libertarian you, psuedo tough guy slang like "big boy pants" and tit for tat looking glass observations are sufficient to conclude that here and now and today are our only serious concerns. Maybe you are right, I think you are wrong. 

9 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

In my sailing life I have several Brazilian friends. They have a sardonic saying about Brazilian politics: it's not for beginners.

Just because something is an apparent reality does not mean it's desired or a virtue. Maybe for Libertarian you, psuedo tough guy slang like "big boy pants" and tit for tat looking glass observations are sufficient to conclude that here and now and today are our only serious concerns. Maybe you are right, I think you are wrong. 

I never said it was virtuous, I just said that’s the way it is.  Look at how Harry Reid took down Romney.  He told a lie on the Senate floor about Romney not paying taxes, the press reported it and when he was asked what his source was, he said he read about it in press reports.  When called out by a reporter AFTER the election he smirked and said “It worked, didn’t it”...Realpolitik 

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

I never said it was virtuous, I just said that’s the way it is.  Look at how Harry Reid took down Romney.  He told a lie on the Senate floor about Romney not paying taxes, the press reported it and when he was asked what his source was, he said he read about it in press reports.  When called out by a reporter AFTER the election he smirked and said “It worked, didn’t it”...Realpolitik 

Thats not the "way it is". In a democracy it takes leadership to drive decision making to the benefit of all, the protections of all and then the protections of the state. in that order.

Inside John McCain's 'Three Amigos' friendship. “McCain was the central figure, really, of the three of us,” Lieberman told ABC News in a recent interview...At an October 2008 rally, then-presidential candidate John McCain had to take a microphone from a supporter and tell her that Barack Obama is "a decent, family man."

Currently the US has no such leader although Biden may emerge to bring America together.

Only partisans cheer a win at all costs and scorched earth political policy. Democracies thrive on transparent everyone wins equal philosophy. Of current federal leaders Merkel illustrates this best and Xi,trump and Putin illustrate it the worst.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

It is noteworthy that Obama never said the same of Romney.  He let the narrative that Romney was a tax cheating, animal abusing monster take hold while knowing it was not true.

3 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Really? The facts of this narrative are?

I don't think there was any suggestion that Romney was a tax cheat.  it is certainly true that Romney took every advantage of favorable tax rules that the very wealthy have bought for themselves by virtue of their ownership of Congress, and particularly the congressional GOP.  Romney paid a lower tax rate (by far) than I do.

Of course, Trump has kept his returns hidden.

22 minutes ago, kallend said:

My wife visited the "Notorious RBG" exhibit in Chicago on Thursday, and her photo and a quote made the front page of the Chicago Tribune: 

orig.pdf 2.57 MB · 2 downloads

Ginsberg said the same remark was made to her upon admission to law school.  Perhaps its time for a non-white woman to be on the SC and a non-white woman to be president.

That would really send evangelicals into a tizzy. Meanwhile "Former members of a self-described charismatic Christian community known as People of Praise have revealed details about the role of women within the group—of which potential Supreme Court justice pick Amy Coney Barrett is allegedly a member....

"people who were once part of the tight-knit community spoke to Newsweek, discussing how its leaders dictate almost every aspect of members' lives, including who they marry and how they raise their children.People of Praise, the Catholic League...

Coral Anika Theill, a former member of a branch of the group in Corvallis, Oregon, told Newsweek that women are expected to be "absolutely obedient" to their husbands and the men in the group. According to Theill, those who aren't are "shamed, shunned, humiliated."

Members of the People of Praise are also assigned advisers of the same sex, called a "head" for men and a "handmaid" for women—until the latter phrase apparently became too charged following the release of Hulu's television adaption of Margaret Atwood's dystopian novel The Handmaid's Tale. The novel portrays a totalitarian, theocratic regime where women are considered property of the state."

Sounds like a woman after trump's heart if she was uneducated and twenty-five years younger.

Edited by Phil1111

5 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Coral Anika Theill, a former member of a branch of the group in Corvallis, Oregon, told Newsweek that women are expected to be "absolutely obedient" to their husbands and the men in the group. According to Theill, those who aren't are "shamed, shunned, humiliated."

So in other words, her SCOTUS decisions would be whatever her husband told her to do. Sounds like a disqualification to me.

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

It is noteworthy that Obama never said the same of Romney.  He let the narrative that Romney was a tax cheating, animal abusing monster take hold while knowing it was not true.

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

Paid all of his taxes, never abused an animal, never cheated on his wife and gave away millions to charity.  

Come-on don't do a weasel. Provide the quote whereby Obama enabled that narrative or directly refused to answer a question about his endorsement of such fabrications.

6 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Come-on don't do a weasel. Provide the quote whereby Obama enabled that narrative or directly refused to answer a question about his endorsement of such fabrications.

McCain took the initiative and went out of his way to disabuse the narrative.  The best Obama could muster to a fellow Democrat was telling HRC that she “was likable enough”. Never heard him say a kind word about Romney.

5 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

McCain took the initiative and went out of his way to disabuse the narrative.  The best Obama could muster to a fellow Democrat was telling HRC that she “was likable enough”. Never heard him say a kind word about Romney.

Hi Brent,

Have you ever heard McConnell say a 'kind word' about Obama?

Jerry Baumchen

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Silence does not imply assent in politics.  Please provide some PROOF that Obama in any way enabled the narrative in, say, the same way that Trump enabled a narrative about Obama's birthplace.