1 1
ryoder

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dead at 87

10 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

And also what you want.

I would actually prefer Bernie if I could get the policies I support on taxes, trade, regulations and sovereignty.  I hate Trump, he is destroying the conservative movement.  I loathe it when Trump and conservatism get lumped together. 

Edited by brenthutch
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I would actually prefer Bernie if I could get the policies I support on taxes, trade, regulations and sovereignty.  I hate Trump, he is destroying the conservative movement.  I loathe it when Trump and conservatism get lumped together. 

But he's your guy in this election because, well, stuff.

27 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Hi Robert,

So much for that:  'McConnell vows Senate will hold vote on Ginsburg’s replacement'

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/18/mcconnell-vows-senate-will-hold-vote-on-ginsburgs-replacement-418021

After Ike left office, he said that his biggest mistake as president was appointing Earl Warren.  We can only hope that we can 'somewhat' turn Roberts.

So far he has been fairly good at not wanting to reverse any previous SCOTUS decisions.  Keep hoping,

Jerry Baumchen

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I’m afraid you are right :`(

A tears of joy emoticon. I didn't know we had those. You know, you could set yourself free and reject the idea of voting for short term self interest and instead vote for the good of the nation. Global warming disagreements will still be here, so will fossil fuels, Tesla and Billvon. With a 6th conservative Supreme installed that weight will be off your shoulders, too. Just a thought.

Just now, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Robert,

So much for that:  'McConnell vows Senate will hold vote on Ginsburg’s replacement'

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/18/mcconnell-vows-senate-will-hold-vote-on-ginsburgs-replacement-418021

After Ike left office, he said that his biggest mistake as president was appointing Earl Warren.  We can only hope that we can 'somewhat' turn Roberts.

So far he has been fairly good at not wanting to reverse any previous SCOTUS decisions.  Keep hoping,

Jerry Baumchen

The body's not even cold yet. What a fucking scumbag

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

A tears of joy emoticon. I didn't know we had those. You know, you could set yourself free and reject the idea of voting for short term self interest and instead vote for the good of the nation. Global warming disagreements will still be here, so will fossil fuels, Tesla and Billvon. With a 6th conservative Supreme installed that weight will be off your shoulders, too. Just a thought.

Actually I am worried about how this will play out.  I am afraid the R’s will overplay their hand and push through a nomination.  That will energize the left, resulting in a Biden win.  There will then be enormous pressure to expand and stack the court.  Then the gloves are off and all hell breaks loose.

9 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Actually I am worried about how this will play out.  I am afraid the R’s will overplay their hand and push through a nomination.  That will energize the left, resulting in a Biden win.  There will then be enormous pressure to expand and stack the court.  Then the gloves are off and all hell breaks loose.

Well no shit McConnell will push it through. I guess you weren't worried about it when he showed the republican intention to make a mockery of the judicial nomination system in 2016 or you would have voted for something greater than unleaded gas.

Edited by JoeWeber
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Well no shit McConnell will push it through. I guess you weren't worried about it when he showed the republican intention to make a mockery of the judicial nomination system in 2016 or you would have voted for something greater than unleaded gas.

I will remind you that I wrote in Mickey Mouse for president in 2016.  I believed that a cartoon rodent would make a better president than either Trump or HRC.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

I will remind you that I wrote in Mickey Mouse for president in 2016.  I believed that a cartoon rodent would make a better president than either Trump or HRC.

Why didn't I think of doing that? No matter, thank you for the reminder and your persistent efforts. You've a long hard row ahead but eventually we'll all be worn down or time expired and the world will be a better place. 

3 minutes ago, jakee said:

The brazen hypocrisy is astounding. Has there ever been a more odious smear of shit in a position of power than Mitch McConnell?

It's all about power. You either have the votes or you don't. There are no morals involved whatsoever.

7 minutes ago, jakee said:

The brazen hypocrisy is astounding. Has there ever been a more odious smear of shit in a position of power than Mitch McConnell?

Hi Jakee,

Looks like Graham is giving him a good run for that title:  'Graham, who as chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee would oversee confirmation hearings, has said multiple times that if a vacancy opened up in the run-up to a presidential election, he would hold off on confirmation.'

Now, as expected, he is walking back those remarks:  https://www.npr.org/sections/death-of-ruth-bader-ginsburg/2020/09/19/914774433/use-my-words-against-me-lindsey-graham-s-shifting-position-on-court-vacancies?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=nprblogsdeathofruthbaderginsburg

Not an ounce of morality among any of them.

Jerry Baumchen

3 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Jakee,

Looks like Graham is giving him a good run for that title:  'Graham, who as chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee would oversee confirmation hearings, has said multiple times that if a vacancy opened up in the run-up to a presidential election, he would hold off on confirmation.'

Now, as expected, he is walking back those remarks:  https://www.npr.org/sections/death-of-ruth-bader-ginsburg/2020/09/19/914774433/use-my-words-against-me-lindsey-graham-s-shifting-position-on-court-vacancies?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=nprblogsdeathofruthbaderginsburg

Not an ounce of morality among any of them.

Jerry Baumchen

I hope they do confirm whomever is nominated and I hope they do it fast. The reality is that it's going to happen. They just do not give a shit and the prize too good. Played properly it won't hurt McConnells or Lindsey's opponents this election and would likely help others, too. It also eliminates the campaign talking point of who will fill Ginsburg's seat. Also, with a solid 6-3 voting block anyone who voted for Trump just to get rid of Roe might have less motivation to vote.

In the meantime D's should just shut the fuck up about increasing the size of the court or ending the filibuster or holding their breaths and stomping their feet. Let the R's do the deed and make it look as brazen and odious as it is. If Biden loses it was going to happen anyway and if he wins then start fighting dirty and expand the court, end the filibuster and make every republican asshat in congress sit at school desks in the hallway while everything Trump and McConnell gets undone.