wykazox

Accelerated freefall course (Texas v. California)

Hi everyone!

In 2013, I did an AFF course in California at Perris drop zone, and it was amazing!
It was a 7 or 8 jumps course, that qualified me for solo jumps.
Unfortunately, due to bad weather, I couldn't do them in time and didn't actually graduate/qualify.

I am going to Texas for a couple of weeks this summer. (And I'll have about 6-7 days free)
All the drop zones there seem to do the AFF in about 18-25 jumps (!).
Is this because the USPA changed the training programme since? Is it a state thing?
And more importantly, is there actually any drop zone in Texas that does the AFF course in 7-8 jumps? Considering the limited number of days that I have, I'd like to optimise my chances.
Thanks for your help!

Romain

The contents and qualifications provided by the two courses are different. The California course still leaves you as a student, just one who has completed the most basic skills. You still are classified as a student, and must jump with instructor supervision. That takes 7-10 jumps, depending on how your jumps go. It's not bad if you take longer; the goal here is to learn the skills, not make an A on your first try.

The Texas courses leave you with an A license. This means you are considered self-supervising and can show up at any drop zone and jump without having to have your entire jumping history reviewed to see which skills you still need to complete. It's a big difference. It takes a minimum of 25 jumps to get an A license.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So the course contents will be similar. The California DZ is just presenting their package for the first 7-8 jumps, and the Texas one is presenting what they have for 25 or so jumps, not just their first 7-8.

In both cases, after 7-8 jumps (if you happen to be a excellent student) you'll be able to jump out of the plane with nobody required to follow you in freefall. You'll still be a student under supervision until you get your A license, and may be jumping with coaches. The A license the first level that will allow you to easily jump around the US at other dropzones (and around the world).

Two Texas DZs, Spaceland Houston and Spaceland Dallas, offer STP or Skydiver Training Program. STP can technically be broken down into two sections, AFF jumps and coach jumps. The program uses instructors for both AFF and coach jumps. This privdes a higher level of training through all phases of your a license.

To earn your USPA license you will need to complete both AFF and coach jumps. If you are in a 7-8 jump AFF program, you will need to complete a handful of coach jumps afterwards. Coach jumps are commonly conducted by coaches at most DZs. Many coaches will do a good job. DZs that offer a 16-18 jumps student program, like STP, commonly use instructors in place of coaches. In most cases you will receive a higher level of training since instructors tend to be more experienced and seasoned jumpers.

Any jumps you do with a USPA DZ should help with your progression at other USPA DZs. Let your instructor know where you are from and that you are just visiting. They should make appropriate notes in your logbook and on your license card to make sure you fit in wherever you are next.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

1. There are a variety of DZs in Texas. Two offer the STP that DJ describes. Most of the others offer a program that resembles what you did in CA.
2. Bring your previous log book and or P-card to the new DZ. They will likely look at the logbook and do an assessment of your skills (4-years is a LONG gap for a student) and figure out what you need to do in order to progress.
3. Good Luck!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Air conditioned packing space at both Spacelands in Texas is great! The entire office, training, and packing areas in Spaceland Dallas have AC. It really spoils everyone.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Aff is generally 7 jumps. Perris does it in 8 jumps. The 25 jumps you see is likely AFF, coach jumps, a hop and pop and some solo jumps to get your A license. Ask them they may have an AFF only package and likely have a pay as you go.

I would suggest though doing everything at one drop zone to make it easier. However, if you only do AFF keep a detailed log book of your jumps so you can take it to another dz and transfer it easier to get your A license.

Also, if you have time fly in a tunnel a few times and get an understanding of getting stable, turning, etc. That reduces your chances of not having to redo a level and making it easier to squeeze AFF into a smaller time span.