3 3
bigbearfng

total knee replacement

Everyone is different so I hesitate to reply but since I have at least my experience, I will share that...  I have always been more or less fit, and a runner. By end of 2016, I also had terrible bone on bone knee pain as you, requiring NSAIDS to survive normal life. The real kicker was when I could not sleep more than about 90 seconds at a time, since the pain would continually wake me through the night. At any rate, running, BASE, skydiving, skiing are my hobbies and I told the surgeon and he went to work. Had the left knee replaced January 2017 with some high flexibility captured contraption. He said it would be 4 months till I'd be active, but I can (for me, anyway) dispel that myth and tell you it was more like just after 2 years. After the first knee replacement, the doctored leg got _significantly_ smaller as it seems muscles were compensating on both legs, leaving my right side very much over-powering my left side, leading to back pain and an odd stance. "Luckily" my rt knee was also shite so in February 2018, that one was replaced. My legs were significantly straighter, and the muscles began to even out on both sides. Pain is high for the first week or two. Can walk immediately, and activity returns quickly, but any impact sports need to wait. By 2019, I was fully active again although my running suffered horribly pace wise. Could do everything else, though I wear swoop pants with integrated knee pads just in case. Rt knee was still sensitive to impacts. By 2020, then 3 years on left and 2 years on right, can kneel to pack and do everything more or less normally. Knees are not as good as organic, and legs not as strong as before, but I would say maybe 90 percent as good and virtually no pain in either leg. I do squats  with small weights, under 105 pounds, but all other exercises/activities are pretty much normal. Some weirdness prevails in the form of odd muscle spasms in odd places (calves and upper abdominals) from time to time. Didn't have that before. Nothing debilitating. All in all a very worthwhile experience, I would absolutely do it again. Been jumping again in 2021 and all is good, no issues. Currently a bit over 60yo, gonna join SOS I guess...

• Like 1

(edited)

I'm not back in the air yet-close! I finally got the second knee done 3 1/2 months ago. I've been going to every store that carries knee protection trying them on. Motocross pads are just too restricting for mobility. Mountain biking pads for XC and downhill are perfect protection- found the POC Joint VPD 2.0 Knee pads. I figure I need to protect the new knees from PLFs, banging on the door exits etc. not just packing. Plan on using the pads for mountain biking, and everything else too. Gotta make the new knees last till I kick the bucket! Take a look at them-REI usually has some in stock to try on. Hope this helps other folk dealing with this too!

Edited by bigbearfng
add info

On 8/19/2021 at 2:31 PM, bigbearfng said:

I'm not back in the air yet-close! I finally got the second knee done 3 1/2 months ago. I've been going to every store that carries knee protection trying them on. Motocross pads are just too restricting for mobility. Mountain biking pads for XC and downhill are perfect protection- found the POC Joint VPD 2.0 Knee pads. I figure I need to protect the new knees from PLFs, banging on the door exits etc. not just packing. Plan on using the pads for mountain biking, and everything else too. Gotta make the new knees last till I kick the bucket! Take a look at them-REI usually has some in stock to try on. Hope this helps other folk dealing with this too!

Any updates on getting back to jumping after your Total Knee Replacement? Do you think the knee pads are working re impact on landing issues? Keen to hear how you are getting on.

(edited)
On 11/30/2021 at 1:22 PM, DaveL said:

Any updates on getting back to jumping after your Total Knee Replacement? Do you think the knee pads are working re impact on landing issues? Keen to hear how you are getting on.

Hi Dave,

I'm about 7 months out on the second knee now and the damn thing still hurts. I do have good flexion of 125 degrees although the first knee is up to 135 degrees. Seems this one is taking longer to heal. If I work it out hard for a few days straight then I could hardly walk for a few days after. The first knee at 13 months is good, gets a little stiff if I over do it is all. I'm going to wait another couple months and then get in a tunnel first. I'm getting impatient but my ortho doc said to stay patient as it can be 6 months to a year to heal.  How are you doing?

Edited by bigbearfng